Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Video Games

Learning Video Games

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning Video Games

Postby Christian_ » Fri 07.21.2006 10:40 pm

I Recently bought a Nintendo DS Lite and was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on some good Japanese learning titles. I am planning on buying http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=275&products_id=9072&

Another question is ordering from Amazon.co.jp, I have found the game for cheaper there, it seems the stupid hong kong importers wana charge an extra 20$. Is there anything I should know about ordering from a Japanese site/can I order from there? Do they ship to the US?
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: Learning Video Games

Postby Nibble » Fri 07.21.2006 11:08 pm

You can order from Amazon Japan, and you can even do it in English; but they will charge you $20 or more for shipping anyway, so I don't think it's worth it. Just order from Lik-Sang.
Nibble

Postby Christian_ » Sat 07.22.2006 12:37 am

Thanks for the reply. 20$ to ship two DS games to the US, wow that sucks. :(
Goals:
Christian_

Postby aKuMu » Sat 07.22.2006 1:14 am

try www.yesasia.com

Its cheaper and they Ship for free.
Last edited by aKuMu on Sat 07.22.2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Budomaru » Sat 07.22.2006 4:36 am

i dont know if its possible to play japanese language games on a non-japanese language console. i mean, i remember it worked with snes/nes/gboy emulators but i dont know about a nintendo DS.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby aKuMu » Sat 07.22.2006 4:55 am

The Nintendo DS is Region Free. (like the PSP)
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby KINGZ » Sun 07.23.2006 11:23 pm

Budomaru wrote:
i dont know if its possible to play japanese language games on a non-japanese language console. i mean, i remember it worked with snes/nes/gboy emulators but i dont know about a nintendo DS.

Hmm that is a good question, the emulators was after it went to PC??
From what is posted the PSP is suppose to be Region free codes, but there has been a few problems with some of the games, but over 85% works if you down load the correct software. I know there is some Kanji games for the PSP but for Japan, I think ill buy one and test it out on the PSP But as for the DS I’m not sure about that.

I know Sony is trying to reduce the region codes on both the New Blue Ray (movies) and PS3 systems (games). The Current Region Code systems for games and DVD has 8 REGION CODES (as for HD-DVD there are not suppose to be any region codes for their disk, But for some region the systems (Hardware) are shipped with 5 Regions. will have to wait to see what turns out there, but currently all disk are supposably region free.

Sony is attempting to change the codes to just 3 as listed:
Region 1: North America, South America, East Asia except for China (India, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia etc.)
Region 2: Europe and Africa
Region 3: China, Russia and other countries

This would be great

sry I got off tangent big time. lol I do that sometimes
Last edited by KINGZ on Sun 07.23.2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby Christian_ » Mon 07.24.2006 12:49 am

The DS is reigon free, and PSP games are reigion free, the movies are not.
Goals:
Christian_

Postby Ichigo19 » Fri 10.13.2006 1:51 pm

amazon japan will only sell certain products internationally books, DVDs, and i think some thing else but i am quite sure when i read the information Video games and consoles and most of the other stuff were not eligible to international buyers because of warranty issues. If all you want was manga or reading material it wouldn't be a problem tho. Its not really worthwhile to buy from them as from the reply i recieved from them 10-12-06, shipping standard fee for international buyers will be 1200 yen set fee, then 300 yen for each book so you'd have to buy quite a lot to make it worthwhile.
Ichigo19

Postby Txkun » Fri 10.13.2006 3:04 pm

If DS does load GBA Advance games too, this is very nice:
http://jdb.pocketheaven.com/jdb.php?page=game_info&code=a8mj
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 10.14.2006 8:41 pm

There are a wealth of Japanese learning games currently available for the DS. I recommend
漢字そのままDS楽引き辞典 -- A English/Japanese Dictionary with Kanji writing
DS漢検 -- Practice for the 漢字検定
漢字の渡り鳥 -- A really hard Kanji writing game (very fun)
もっと脳を鍛える -- Brain Training 2

There are also a number of other kanji games (I thinkg 漢字力 is the name of one) that you can practice on.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby zengargoyle » Wed 10.18.2006 2:39 am

this is sweet and timely... my early christmas present to myself this year was to order a Nintendo DS... :) i've never owned a handheld game machine, and i've been out of the console market since back in the Atari 2600 days.... i had hoped that the Wii would be region free for the games, but so far the American and European Nintendo people don't have a straight answer for whether or not the Wii will be region free.... but i did find out the the DS was region free and decided to take the plunge...

so i've ordered my DS and a few games, and a few 'Japanese version' things (漢字そのままDS楽引き辞典 and DS漢検) and i'm sorta gleefull at the idea of eventually being able to play games in Japanese... :)

muahahaha....
zengargoyle

Postby BetterSense » Wed 10.18.2006 7:33 pm

I watched an interview with the President of Nintendo america and she said that it was all region free. The Wii that is.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips