Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - \6000/month for japanese conversation classes

\6000/month for japanese conversation classes

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

\6000/month for japanese conversation classes

Postby Diana » Sat 07.29.2006 12:23 pm

Is that too expensive?! 4 classes/month 50min. each. For japanese conversation. I have doubts if this is too much...

I work a lot and where I live (countryside) theres no schools close enough. I'm here about 2 years and my nihongo é quite bad. I can understand but no reply so fast.

What do you think?!
I slip, I slid I don't know why I hide
Diana

RE: \6000/month for japanese conversation classes

Postby ComradeJoe » Sat 07.29.2006 1:10 pm

Just for conversation? Couldn't you do that with a friend or something, I mean i'm sure he/she wouldn't mind if you asked for a little help?
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Sat 07.29.2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComradeJoe

Postby Ongakuka » Sat 07.29.2006 1:27 pm

It doesn't seem too much, I haven't spent my life dealing in Yen but I wouldn't say that's ripping you off. It really depends on how much Japanese you know. If you were an absoulute beginner I'd say take the class, but given that you're already in Japan, and assuming you aren't an absoulute beginner, I'd recommend that you try and make use of your resources (i.e any Japanese person who is willing to help) or even just "hang out" with Japanese people. At the end of the day, it's your desicion though. It would be wrong to swade you one way or the other.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Diana » Sat 07.29.2006 3:29 pm

:( I don't know any japanese, even at my work there's one or two and they are my superior so...
The contryside is very bad. If I want to know some japaneses maybe I should go to the next GameArcade or Pachinko or whatever, places I deeply hate! I was even think about to quit my job here and go to some only japanese factory.

I think "traditional" japanese are hard to deal with. Cos I''m a girl so I should get together with the japaneses girls, but I never get talk to one. If I try to talk to a japanese boy he just seems too shy for it, go out for chat, no way.

When I say "traditional" I mean the only-japanese speakers, no ocidental ideas at all...

If you want to come to Japan... go to the biggest cities, not the country...I'm advising you.
Diana

Postby richvh » Sat 07.29.2006 3:40 pm

The price seems reasonable to me. You can always meet with your classmates outside of class for additional practice. (At that price, I assume it will be a class rather than one on one tutoring.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Oyaji » Sat 07.29.2006 8:23 pm

The advantage of a class is the discipline and structure. If your teacher is a competent professional, then that price doesn't seem too bad.

I prefer living in the country to the city, and I have known people who have learned their Japanese just by speaking with the locals, and have become quite fluent, but when they move to another part of Japan they usually have to start completely over because they never learned the basics of standard Japanese.

I think taking the class would be a good idea.
Last edited by Oyaji on Sat 07.29.2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

Postby Kates » Mon 07.31.2006 2:11 pm

When I lived in a relatively large city a few years back, there were free classes at the library every Saturday. A lot of the 'students' were spouses of people employed at factories/businesses in the area. Perhaps you could check with a library nearby to see if something similar is available for you?

It was a great opportunity for me (and it was free!)--but I really missed the structured classes I had started learning Japanese from. I'm a pretty poor self-motivated-student... so, as Oyaji-san said, that will be one big benefit to a paid-for class.

If you feel that the value isn't so good, though... then maybe, for you, it isn't. You don't want to feel like you are wasting/throwing away your money, of course! But, being in a class will give you a great opportunity to use what you learn in your daily life, and learn how to use it correctly (ie, new words, grammar, etc) and give you chances to ask cultural questions without feeling awkward. ^_^
Kates

Postby clay » Mon 07.31.2006 2:28 pm

Continuing on Kates' thought, see if your prefecture has an International Center 国際交流センター. If there is one (probably in your capital city) there may be free or very low cost Japanese lessons.

My old apartment was less than 2 minutes away... by foot :D Very 便利 deshita.
clay
Site Admin

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 07.31.2006 3:14 pm

clay wrote:
Continuing on Kates' thought, see if your prefecture has an International Center 国際交流センター. If there is one (probably in your capital city) there may be free or very low cost Japanese lessons.

My old apartment was less than 2 minutes away... by foot :D Very 便利 deshita.

とてもBenrisouですよ。 :D:D
TrilinguisT

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 07.31.2006 8:25 pm

There are free conversation classes (man-to-man volunteers) at Heartful Square at Gifu Station.

I don't consider 6000 yen to be expensive, depending on the quality of the classes. If it's really JUST conversation practice, then it's too expensive. If you have a professionally liscensed instructor giving you advice, then I think it would be worth it.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Diana » Wed 08.02.2006 5:34 pm

I think the price is fair, cos will be like private classes, just me and her.I can ask anything about grammar also, she's a teacher. The classes will be at a school.

Is just bad cos it can't be at weekends and the distance is bad for me go on foot right after the work.

I can read and write the kanas and know some grammar, but the conversation is the problem for me. :(
Diana

Postby adam » Wed 08.02.2006 8:51 pm

If It's private it's a good price. Standard private lessons from a liscensed teacher usually run about 3000 yen an hour. So I'd say you are getting a good deal.
adam

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips