Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - same sounds, does it change

same sounds, does it change

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

same sounds, does it change

Postby KINGZ » Sun 07.30.2006 2:20 pm

The and the sound alike and so does and . Whats the point to this, other than spelling or does the sound change slightly like it does when が is in middle of a world or phrase? (that is not a hard rule)

sound files attached hiragana ;)
Last edited by KINGZ on Sun 07.30.2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

RE: same sounds, does it change

Postby richvh » Sun 07.30.2006 2:38 pm

The point is that at one point the sounds represented by those kana were different, but the sounds a language uses change over time. In the post-World War 2 language reforms, most of the づs and ぢ were eliminated (a few were retained for specific types of types of words: where the character repeats a previous unvoiced kana, or where it's the initial kana that has become voiced in a compound.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby KINGZ » Sun 07.30.2006 3:17 pm

Thank you that helps out alot, now I know why I got all those wrong on the first try with ぢ and right with じ :D
KINGZ

Postby clay » Sun 07.30.2006 3:56 pm

It's as important as English spelling. Actually other than a few irregularities modern Japanese 'spelling' is very regular.

We really don't need a few letters in our alphabet. C overlaps with K and S sometimes; G overlaps with J. And why do we have a Q?

This funny bit is attributed to Mark Twain, but he probably didn't write it:

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
clay
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Sun 07.30.2006 6:17 pm

And why do we have a Q

Because if we didn't, some words would just look a bit kweer.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Sun 07.30.2006 7:05 pm

And why do we have a Q

So the Romans could tell the spelling of qui (one syllable) and cui (two syllables) apart.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ashitaka » Sun 07.30.2006 7:30 pm

Q is bi far the ost useless. It hes the same sound ahs K, C has the same sound as K or S bit without these "useless" leters our tekt would look kweer.

hint the sarcasim
ashitaka

Postby hungryhotei » Sun 07.30.2006 7:39 pm

We could do with a few more vowels though. We have only 5 letters to show 12 pure vowel sounds. And most of those vowels are made in more than one way.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby ashitaka » Sun 07.30.2006 9:35 pm

"The whole world should just use latin, then we could all understand scientists."
Well if you count the letters with the strang marks above them like tildes and dots then the english language has........... 752 letters (yes I got bored). Why do we only use 24-29 of them. (Yes i ment 24-29, depending on what language. like the"n"with a ~ over it or that letter that looks like a "b")
ashitaka

Postby KINGZ » Sun 07.30.2006 11:02 pm

did the japanese Language ever have the (i used romaji since I dont know if there ever was) YI, YE, WI, WU, & WE to start with, I know you get the same sound from い、うぃ、う、うぇ but was there ever a hiragana the was in those places?
KINGZ

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sun 07.30.2006 11:23 pm

ゐ = wi ゑ = we. Not sure about the others.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 07.31.2006 1:18 am

ashitaka wrote: l that letter that looks like a "b")

You would be talking about a ß.
Schattenjedi

Postby tanuki » Mon 07.31.2006 9:25 am

ashitaka wrote:
Well if you count the letters with the strang marks above them like tildes and dots then the english language has........... 752 letters

I think you meant the Latin alphabet, or Latin extended alphabet or whatever. The English language hardly uses any diacritics at all. In fact, is there any English (i.e. not borrowed) word with a diacritic?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby richvh » Mon 07.31.2006 9:41 am

Well, such words as coöperation and naïve used to be commonly written with a diaeresis to show that the second vowel was to be pronounced separately, but they are commonly written without the diaeresis nowadays.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips