Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - textbook question

textbook question

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

textbook question

Postby karelhof » Sun 08.06.2006 1:31 pm

some days ago I bought "japanese for busy people 1", but it only teaches how to speak and write kana, but no kanji.

sooooooooooo.........
my question is:
can I learn everything from "japanese for busy people" except kanji, and learn kanji from another book, or:
what textbook should I buy that teaches both kanji as speaking.

P.S. :WAAAGH!!!
karelhof

RE: textbook question

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 1:41 pm

karelhof wrote:
some days ago I bought "japanese for busy people 1", but it only teaches how to speak and write kana, but no kanji.

Eh? It covers the first 200 kanji or so doesn't it?

That's what it says in [wiki]Selecting a Japanese Textbook[/wiki] and I certainly remember it having kanji.
paul_b

Postby clay » Sun 08.06.2006 3:30 pm

For better or for worse, the first volume has no kanji. The entire series (3 volumes) covers 200 kanji or so.
clay
Site Admin

Postby firescorpy » Sun 08.06.2006 3:34 pm

I have Japanese For Busy People and the first volume covers only the number in Kanji, and some other basics like moon, sun, etc. Maybe 20 or so is covered in the first book.
firescorpy

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 4:05 pm

clay wrote:
For better or for worse, the first volume has no kanji. The entire series (3 volumes) covers 200 kanji or so.

firescorpy wrote:
I have Japanese For Busy People and the first volume covers only the number in Kanji, and some other basics like moon, sun, etc. Maybe 20 or so is covered in the first book.

Ah, I was obviously thinking of the whole lot not the first book. It was a long time ago.

Oh, and firescorpy. Your signature image is 200px wider than allowed. See the [wiki=Just the FAQs]FAQ[/wiki].
paul_b

Postby clay » Sun 08.06.2006 6:11 pm

I see. There is a page at the end of the appendices that basically lists the 20 or so kanji with stroke orders drawn.

So Karelhof, back to your question, I would say, use JFBP as your base but try to learn some kanji on the side. You can do this by either getting a kanji book or just studying online. There are many free kanji sites including:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/list.php?jlpt=4

I think having a good kanji vocabulary even from the beginning would only help you later on.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Sun 08.06.2006 11:35 pm

yea, I had high hopes for JfBP, but got disgusted by the lack of kanji since learning kanji was the main reason I was taking a textbook course in the first place.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Mon 08.07.2006 12:34 am

clay wrote:
I see. There is a page at the end of the appendices that basically lists the 20 or so kanji with stroke orders drawn....

JBP II introduces a further 220 kanji and I'm not sure of the exact number in JBP III but from memory it is around the 200 mark. There are also a number of kanji throughout JBP II and III which are introduced for "recognition only". That is to say that the kanji are given and their reading in a particular compound but stroke order diagrams are not provided.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips