Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for English kids.

Japanese for English kids.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for English kids.

Postby KINGZ » Mon 08.07.2006 7:48 pm

Let’s start off by saying I need books and program to teach a 4th grader Japanese. My mother is home schooling one of my little brothers and she wanted to start to teach him a second language. She herself speaks English and is fluent in Spanish.

So I'm looking a program and books that a non-Japanese speaker can teach to my brother. Why I want program and books, is so he can solo with the software for an hour a day and hear native sounds. The book is for more one on one with my brother and mother.

Heres other supplies planning on ordering.
Hiragana / Katakana poster chart.
Hiragana / Katakana Flash Cards
Hiragana practice writing note pads
Volume 1 Kanji Flash cards and sound files. (for later)

what I'm at a lost is a good starting book and program. I would have him just go online, but, they live out in the sticks and to say the least internet out there is hard to come by.

please any help here would be great.
KINGZ

RE: Japanese for English kids.

Postby TrilinguisT » Mon 08.07.2006 7:59 pm

Can 4th graders speak english correctly or know enough to learn a sacond language?
TrilinguisT

Postby KINGZ » Mon 08.07.2006 8:07 pm

TrilinguisT wrote:
Can 4th graders speak english correctly or know enough to learn a sacond language?

4th grade tested at a 6th grade lvl. I learned a second language by 7th grade.
But if its too much for him, after a short try, they will try again next year, She thinks he is ready.

woop sry thats 5th grade tested at 6th.
Last edited by KINGZ on Mon 08.07.2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 08.07.2006 9:07 pm

Isn't it obvious from kids who have grown up bilingual that it's possible?
Schattenjedi

Postby Chris Hart » Mon 08.07.2006 9:53 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:

I must agree whole heartedly. The earlier you can get them started on a second/third/twentieth language the better. The BEST TIME for anyone to learn a language is when their mind is still in that mode (early years). The older they get, the more dificult it will be for them to learn a language. Also, the younger they start, the more natural sounding they will become, because they won't need to fight the sounds of the language they already know to learn another one, especially one from a different language family.
Chris Hart

Postby chikara » Mon 08.07.2006 10:19 pm

One of my nieces is in the 4th grade and has been learning Japanese since 2nd grade. The school she is at may even start teaching Japanese in 1st grade but she wasn't at that school for 1st grade.

Initially they learn about Japanese culture and learn to sing songs in Japanese. By learning the songs they learn the meanings of some individual words and know what the songs meaning is in English without fully understanding the actual grammar.

She can count in Japanese, name many animals, name the colours and write her name in katakana and can read and write the kanji for 1 - 10. My understanding is that they don't start seriously learning the language until 7th grade.

Edit
The Japansese teacher that teaches at my niece's school, Shoko McInerney, has her own website [url=shokosensei.senet.com.au/]SHOKO SENSEI'S JAPANESE ROOM[/url] but it appears to be down at the moment. I found a cached copy of the main page here but it is of little use :(
Last edited by chikara on Mon 08.07.2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.08.2006 12:27 am

Schattenjedi wrote:

Sure it's possible, if you have a native speaker hanging around speaking the language a lot. With a teacher that doesn't speak a lick of Japanese, I really doubt the child will have enough dedication to learn anything from software alone.

I don't know why the mother doesn't teach Spanish. It'd be so much more effective because the child could hear it being spoken around the house.

I've heard horror stories of high school kids trying to learn Japanese from bad teachers... and those are people who have actually studied the language before. I don't see how this can possibly work.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby billy-jay » Tue 08.08.2006 2:37 am

keatonatron wrote:

I've heard horror stories of high school kids trying to learn Japanese from bad teachers... and those are people who have actually studied the language before. I don't see how this can possibly work.

Case in point: Japanese who have studied English with Japanese teachers.
billy-jay

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.08.2006 4:24 am

billy-jay wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

Although those teachers don't speak English well, they have studied it before. They know grammar and a substantial vocabulary.

Judging from the original post, I have a feeling the teacher in this case doesn't even know hiragana or any vocabulary.

I guess it'd be possible as one of those "let's learn together" things, but if the child is studying with software and the mother isn't, there's no way she could teach anything.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby billy-jay » Tue 08.08.2006 5:34 am

keatonatron wrote:
billy-jay wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

Although those teachers don't speak English well, they have studied it before. They know grammar and a substantial vocabulary.

Judging from the original post, I have a feeling the teacher in this case doesn't even know hiragana or any vocabulary.

I guess it'd be possible as one of those "let's learn together" things, but if the child is studying with software and the mother isn't, there's no way she could teach anything.

Yup. If I were a betting man, my money would be on dismal failure.
billy-jay

Postby kyashi » Sun 08.20.2006 2:41 pm

i got a book that helped me alot with my japanese its called nihongo fast and easy .
kyashi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips