Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning Japanese

Learning Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning Japanese

Postby kohana » Wed 08.30.2006 3:39 pm

Okay, I know I'm not the first one to notice the intense hostility that takes place rather often on these forums. Maybe if we took out a thread (like this one) to help beginners (like myself) patiently and politely... *gasp* we could all improve our Japanese skills together. And maybe bring the website together too. A while ago Mariya-san created a thread to say good things about each other... which died out. I couldn't find it in the Search, though it has to be there somewhere >.>

In the meantime, any suggestions on simple games or things we could do without getting extremely annoyed with each other/turning everyone's statements but ours into negative ones/overall turning the atmosphere of the thread into an extremely hostile and negative one? (note: not pointing fingers at anyone. :) I know not everyone does this...)
kohana

RE: Learning Japanese

Postby richvh » Wed 08.30.2006 4:15 pm

Well, there's shiritori. I'm sure there used to be a shiritori thread, but I can't find it.
Last edited by richvh on Wed 08.30.2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Christian_ » Wed 08.30.2006 4:29 pm

Ooo, there was a Kanji game like that, but lets start a Shiritori thread!
Christian_

Postby Infidel » Wed 08.30.2006 11:27 pm

I know I'm not the first one to notice the intense hostility that takes place rather often on these forums.

There's no intense hostility that takes place on these forums.

aybe if we took out a thread (like this one) to help beginners (like myself) patiently and politely...

All the threads are this way. The problem isn't people not getting patient and polite advice, the problem is people not getting the advice they want to hear.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 08.30.2006 11:47 pm

richvh wrote:
Well, there's shiritori. I'm sure there used to be a shiritori thread, but I can't find it.

I can't find it either. I think it should be a new thread, seperate from this one. I'll start it.
Chris Hart

Postby firescorpy » Thu 08.31.2006 12:06 am

this forum sometimes does get a little hostile, but it is not too bad, although best if there was none.
firescorpy

Postby AJBryant » Thu 08.31.2006 11:06 am

I don't think it's so much hostile as frustrated.

When you see the same questions being asked over and over and over, for example, you start to get a little tight around the corners.

Maybe it's an age issue. When I was a *kid* I was taught how to use the library, how to use encyclopedias, and how to look for information. When I join a group, the first thing I do is look for the FAQs and rules so I know what the groundrules and basics are.

It stuns me that our most "computer literate" generation doesn't know how to do that one simple thing. (This is to say nothing of failing to do a run through the archive via the "search" function!)

The number of people asking "Dictionary questions" (e.g., "What does 'neko' mean?" or "How do you say 'errand' in Japanese?") is mindboggling. That's why there *are* dictionaries. If people indicate that they looked through dictionaries and couldn't find exactly what they mean, I cut them slack. But this forum is NOT a public dictionary.

I could never understand wanting to know a meaning of a word, and rather than looking it up and finding it right away, asking on a forum and waiting hours or days for someone to answer. It makes no sense.

And then we have the soft insult of the 1337speaking folks. If you don't respect me enough to take the few momements to present your questions and commentary to me in proper, grammatical, and punctuated English, why should I take the time to respond? You show you don't care about me -- so why should my response be any different?

No, it's not hostility. It's frustration.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby asandari » Thu 08.31.2006 11:38 am

Perhaps it is not fully ignorance that spurs this behaviour, but the laziness that ensues all youth in their blatant rush and hurry to do as they have set out to do in short a time as possible. It takes time to read through the FAQ and rules, and effort to search up a word, if they can't find it easily they ask for it and expect an answer. And though questions are indeed a good thing to ask there are times in which one must figure out how to find their own answers, as there will be far greater rewards for that.
asandari

Postby AJBryant » Thu 08.31.2006 6:26 pm

And people need to learn -- and the sooner the better -- that laziness will NOT get them what they want or much respect.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 09.01.2006 2:12 pm

That whole entitlement mentality thing does seem to have grown explosively in a single generation, doesn't it?
Mike Cash

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 09.01.2006 2:20 pm

It's the price of being successful.
Schattenjedi

Postby chchan45 » Fri 09.01.2006 6:24 pm

In the adult world, there is an adult way to do things. There is no need to react with abuse if somebody is asking a stupid question. Just report the post to the moderators, who will remove it and warn the posters with the reason. If they repeat the offence, their account is disabled and their IP address is blocked.

And reading the last few posts, I now know who reads the Daily Mail at home :D
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.01.2006 8:10 pm

Preach it, Mike. ;)

(So... who reads the Daily Mail? ;) )

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips