Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Hiragana Charts

Hiragana Charts

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Hiragana Charts

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.03.2006 3:03 am

I never deciphered the entire site, so I'm not sure how authorative it may be. But it was a native Japanese that refered me there. I've been using as my primary reference for good 楷書. It doesn't just give examples of good writing but showes why it's good, and usually to the right, an example of common mistakes.

Since the writing has always been my primary interest in Japanese, I'm practicing mastering the elements of good Kaisho so that one day I can start learning to write good 行書.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 09.03.2006 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby magma » Sun 09.03.2006 3:11 am

I've been using as my primary reference for good 楷書. It doesn't just give examples of good writing but showes why it's good, and usually to the right, an example of common mistakes.

Thanks for mentioning such a great site. The 楷書 they teach really does look great.... Maybe I'll try and reform my barbaric ways. P)

Since the writing has always been my primary interest in Japanese, I'm practicing mastering the elements of good Kaisho so that one day I can start learning to write good 行書.

No way! Do you know a good 行書 site too? =D
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby Infidel » Sun 09.03.2006 5:26 am

No way! Do you know a good 行書 site too? =D

Sorry, no idea.

I'm trying to crawl before I run :)

I have Monomonika from the about forums for that Kirei na Ji site. At least I think it was Monomonika. It was on the old version of the site, so I can't really search to make sure.

Just remember that 天夭夫 may look a lot alike, but it is the last two with the longer bottom stroke
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 09.03.2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Darkshine » Mon 09.18.2006 1:23 pm

Hello i appologise for my ignorance i am new to all this, this chart has more characters than the one on this site :S why is that?
Darkshine

Postby richvh » Mon 09.18.2006 1:30 pm

The ones in the red boxes aren't really different characters; they are the same as the ones in the blue boxes directly above them, except for a mark added to indicate a slight change in the pronunciation of the consonant ("voicing" it in most cases.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Darkshine » Mon 09.18.2006 2:27 pm

Thanks, are there set rules for the way they effect the pronounciation or is it just something you have to learn? sorry if this is mentioned on the site but i can't find the page on it so any help would be great, thanks.
Darkshine

Postby richvh » Mon 09.18.2006 2:36 pm

t->d, s->z (sh->j), k->g, h->b or p, depending on which mark is used. The voiced forms of tsu and chi have changed over time to be essentially identical to zu and ji, and are rarely used. Chapter 11 of the Hiragana lessons on this site cover them.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips