Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Electronic Dictionary questions and reviews

Electronic Dictionary questions and reviews

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Electronic Dictionary questions and reviews

Postby erikN » Sun 09.03.2006 6:44 am

Hi guys

I've been doing alot of searching for threads about this subject on this forum but with little luck. There are a few threads about it but non that really answers the questions I'm asking. I'm thinking of buying a Canon G90 since it's the latest modell in the series of wordtanks where you can look up Kanjis by writing them on the screen.

My first question is how well does this work? Can it find 18 stroke kanjis without much trouble or how sensitive is that function?

And is this function identical on the V70, V80, V90 and G90 or have there been improvements?

How much of a problem is the lack of a real English manual with these things for a beginner student?

I would really apriciate if someone could answer these questions for me :)

Another thing about these E-Dictionary is the lack of serious reviews of them. Real analyses and lots of pictures would be to die for. I really like the videos on TheJapanShop who shows the usage of the E-Dictionarys. More user made reviews would be nice. I'm planning on writing one myself when I get my E-Dictionary to help out others in this almost hidden away from westerners world of E-Dictionarys :)
erikN

RE: Electronic Dictionary questions and reviews

Postby Nibble » Sun 09.03.2006 7:37 am

I highly suggest buying a PDA and turning it into a Super Dictionary.
Last edited by Nibble on Sun 09.03.2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nibble

Postby clay » Sun 09.03.2006 8:34 am

There are many advantages to buying a stand alone electronic dictionary. Getting to the dictionary is much faster (although you could leave the dictionary program open on your PDA) and you have professional grade dictionaries (nothing against EDICT!!). However, if you can't live without a PDA (I used to carry one around all the time) and you need a dictionary, there isn't much sense in having two expensive toys to carry around.

And is this function identical on the V70, V80, V90 and G90 or have there been improvements?

I don't know if they made improvements (I haven't heard and I can't tell myself). But just like the 'super jump' function ten years ago, Canon came out with the drawing feature before others (although the Casio XD-470 did it too). I suspect we will see more and more dictionaries with the drawing feature. But they didn't make it for English speakers learning Japanese. They made it for Japanese learning Chinese. Thankfully, they made it so you can draw Japanese kanji too.

The main complaint I hear is the delay before initiating the search is pretty low (and it isn’t a setting in the menu). You have about 1.5 seconds from your last stroke to do the next stroke. So you can’t draw a few strokes, look at the kanji in the book, and go back to finish the strokes. You have to have it in your mind to begin with. This may be good for remembering kanji, but could be very frustrating for beginners.

How much of a problem is the lack of a real English manual with these things for a beginner student?

Even if you have never used one, I’d say you should still be able to figure it out. (Of course if you buy us, I’d be happy to answer any support questions you may have).

The main things to figure out are 1) turn on English menus (not important, but helpful at start), 2) learn how to jump (very easy with a stylus) and 3) learn how to setup the kanji dictionary for drawing kanji (see my video on the V80 page at http://www.thejapanshop.com). Beyond that, just playing around with it will give you all you need to know.

I'm planning on writing one myself when I get my E-Dictionary to help out others in this almost hidden away from westerners world of E-Dictionarys

That would be great. If you do so, please consider posting in the Wiki here. I plan on doing more myself, but haven’t gotten to it.
clay
Site Admin

Postby tsp_uk » Sun 09.03.2006 10:43 am

Last edited by tsp_uk on Tue 09.05.2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsp_uk

Postby tsp_uk » Sun 09.03.2006 10:43 am

Hey erikN, I managed to find a small review on the G70, but not sure if you're interested in that or not. Hopefully this helps!

http://quinlanfaris.com/?p=49
Last edited by tsp_uk on Sun 09.03.2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsp_uk

Postby erikN » Tue 09.05.2006 9:22 am

Thanks guys!
erikN

Postby Nibble » Tue 09.05.2006 12:10 pm

You can get professional dictionary software for PDAs, but it's expensive enough that you might want to just get a dedicated dictionary if you don't need a PDA for other stuff. You can, however, get EDICT for free and Eijirou (which I consider to be at least as good as any professionally-made dictionaries I've found) for about 2000 or 2500 yen (~20-25USD). The only problem is that the program that reads the Eijiro files (WDIC) doesn't allow you to look up kanji entries with kana, and it doesn't have handwriting recognition.

If you go with a dedicated dictionary, there is a list of important features to consider available here.
Nibble

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips