Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Yan and the Japanese People

Yan and the Japanese People

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Yan and the Japanese People

Postby rainlong » Tue 09.05.2006 2:37 pm

This is an educational series put out sometimes in the 80's by a Candian broadcasting company. It's got some cheesy clothing and acting in it, but it really does help to review alot of aspects of the Japanese language. A continuing story of a man named Yan dominates the series, while mini-skits are performed throughout each show by a team that assists the host. There are sections to help you with hiragana as well.

The dvd also came with an ebook that has tons of worksheets, translates each Yan story into Japanese, has quizzes and reviews and vocabulary lists, all pertaining to each and every episode. This series really addresses visual and audio learners, as well as tactile learners who prefer to use worksheets and such.

Has anyone watched this series before? Have you found it useful? I have tried to find it in stores, but it looks like I lucked out when I found it on ebay. I wish that someone would make a series like this today in a more updated way. :o
<....rain....>
http://www.kidzjam.org
rainlong

RE: Yan and the Japanese People

Postby aKuMu » Tue 09.05.2006 4:42 pm

Haha. Ive seen it. It was quite funny and i have to say that i liked the first "season" alot better than the second.(especially the cast of the skits) i think it is usefull because of all the recurrences. But this way it goes very slow. At least in the first Season.
Last edited by aKuMu on Tue 09.05.2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Qbe » Wed 09.06.2006 4:35 pm

Last week (or so) we were discussing the series at japanesejapanese.com and Yan himself (Nick Muhrin) showed up...
Qbe

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Wed 09.06.2006 5:16 pm

Ha Yes! Yan is awesome lol

Seriously, I've only seen the first episode, but I thought it looked pretty good. If I had more time I'd probably watch it. I saw the episode on Youtube, so maybe check there and see if it's still up... I think there were quite a few episodes up a little while ago.

Although with the stupid Tokyo Broadcasting System going through all the YouTube files and deleting everything it might not be there anymore ... :(
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Basilica » Wed 09.06.2006 5:20 pm

Qbe wrote:
Last week (or so) we were discussing the series at japanesejapanese.com and Yan himself (Nick Muhrin) showed up...

That is pure awesome :D

edit:
rainlong, where did you buy the DVD from?
Last edited by Basilica on Wed 09.06.2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basilica

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips