Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Grammar books

Grammar books

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Grammar books

Postby Toriyama » Thu 09.07.2006 7:29 pm

I have been contemplating whether or not to get the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Japan Times) since there are newer, shorter books such as these:

Amazon link
Amazon link
Amazon link
Amazon link
Amazon link
Amazon link
Amazon link

Do you think that all the information given in these books is contained within A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (Japan Times)? Otherwise I would probably get the seperate books, but if anyone who owns any of these can tell me more about them, that would be great. I am in need of grammar reference books such as these. At the moment my only grammar resources are this site, Tae Kim's site, and a grammar book published by Barron's.
Last edited by Toriyama on Fri 09.08.2006 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toriyama

RE: Grammar books

Postby randomperson » Thu 09.07.2006 7:40 pm

ok i dont know if you mean A dictionary of basic japanese grammar by seiichi makino and michio tsutsui. if you do mean that one i would say get it i bought it(also bought the interimedate one too) and its a very good book.
randomperson

Postby Toriyama » Thu 09.07.2006 7:41 pm

randomperson wrote:
ok i dont know if you mean A dictionary of basic japanese grammar by seiichi makino and michio tsutsui. if you do mean that one i would say get it i bought it(also bought the interimedate one too) and its a very good book.

Yes, that one. But would these other books provide me with more in-depth information since they are specific to their subject?
Toriyama

Postby randomperson » Thu 09.07.2006 7:44 pm

the basic book is a very good book and gives you alot of notes on the points(also gives examples too). within the notes it will give you things need to know how to use the point correct(grammaical wise, if there is a "common" ungrammarical way) also gives you notes on how to differ between the uses of a point if it has two uses(if theres a difference that is not always clear) it does have alot of tables in the back that help.
also in the same word with more than one use its normally because its X (1) is a adverb and X(2) is a adjective.(or something like that) it give examples for each and in one of them(probably the last one) it will give you notes on how they differ.(in the notes part)

edit: to answer your question clearly i havent any of those books in your list but most of them are probably in the basic(or interimedate if the point is more advance) to the point of the more common ones. like example the particle "to" my particle book(All about particles) has 14 uses while the grammar book only has like 8ish
Ok i think i got it all,after about 10edits XD
Last edited by randomperson on Thu 09.07.2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randomperson

Postby kinkachou » Fri 09.08.2006 4:21 am

In studying Japanese I've read a lot of grammar books and looked through a lot at Barnes & Noble. I figured I'd give my opinion for what it's worth. First of all, A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar is by far the most thorough book on Japanese grammar I have ever seen. I highly suggest it, even though it's big and expencive and a little older than others. It even includes colloquial uses that I've never seen in other references. I'd say it'd should take the place of any other book on particles and the various attachments you can make to verbs. It doesn't do idioms or adjectives or explain how to make your Japanese flow, it simply tells you in detail what each piece of grammar does.

I also highly suggest The handbook of Japanese verbs Amazon link which tells you nearly everything you can do to verbs in Japanese, which is a lot. This one book covered pretty much everything in my 2 years of taking Japanese classes. Your mileage may vary.

I've browsed A handbook of Japanese Adjectives and it looks good, but seems quite specific for a beginner. I question the need for an entire book dedicated to adjectives and adverbs, but if you really need to know everything that you can do to an adjective or adverb in Japanese, it's there.
Last edited by kinkachou on Fri 09.08.2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kinkachou

Postby paul_b » Fri 09.08.2006 4:37 am

I think you lot need to take a look at [wiki]How to Link[/wiki].
paul_b

Postby erikN » Mon 09.11.2006 6:22 pm

I own three grammar books which I highly recomend

All About Particles
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs

The first one is great tool when you need to find the meaning of a particle in a sentence. It covers over 70 particles and shows their usage in example sentences. I think it's a must have kind of book when learning japanese, even for beginners. The second two books might suite the upper beginner or intermidiate student a bit more since they introduce so many grammatical points at the same time. I see these two books more as a complement to the basic grammar textbooks teach.
Last edited by erikN on Mon 09.11.2006 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Erik

[skype=chat]ernor_86[/skype]
erikN

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips