Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Rosetta Stone

Postby chobo2 » Tue 09.19.2006 1:52 am

I am thinking of using Rosetta Stone to learn japanese(plus books) but I am wondering if anyone has tried it.

I been trying the demo but I am kinda confused

Here is the link:
http://www.rosettastone.com/en/individu ... nline-demo

Like I go to the Japanese one and it starts off with 4 pictures (see images)
but I don't know what the pictures really are teaching you because they don't tell you what they are.

I am guessing you suppose to figure out by the image they give you but some I don't know if I am interpreting right.

In this does some are clear right away like dog and cat the other 2 with the kids for me is not a 100% clear right away like I am guessing what they are trying to teach you how to say girl and boy.

This one has a cat by a car tire so what is this one suppose to mean? Cat by tire? small and big?

These ones suppost to teach you under? kid is under the table? or look at the guy on the bottom right holding the dog. What is that suppose to mean?

Maybe I am just doing things wrong or something.
chobo2

RE: Rosetta Stone

Postby chikara » Tue 09.19.2006 2:05 am

The first 4 images are teaching you some vocab. The next 8 images are teaching you phrases. The hiragana tells you what is in the image. The audio teaches you the pronuciation.

おんなのこ = female child
おとこのこ = male child
いぬ = dog
ねこ = cat

ねことくるま = cat and car
おんなのことおんなのひと = female child and female adult
etc

I suggest you learn hiragana before going any further.
Last edited by chikara on Tue 09.19.2006 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chobo2 » Tue 09.19.2006 2:35 am

Well I know how to write and read hiragana(the individual ones a,i,e,u,o) but just don't know how to form words and sentences.

But I thought this was the whole point of the software to teach me. I find it kind of useless that you need to know what they mean. Like why would I use this software to learn words that I was expected to know in the first place?

I must be using it wrong.
chobo2

Postby chikara » Tue 09.19.2006 2:41 am

If you can read hiragana then I can't see the problem. Read the words associated with each image, listen to the pronunciation and improve your vocabulary.

Edit: You can use the buttons on the right to select between romaji, hiragana (which you have selected) and kanji.
Last edited by chikara on Tue 09.19.2006 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby chobo2 » Tue 09.19.2006 3:07 am

Hmm maybe I did not say that clearly enough I can read in the sense of pronouncing each letter character.

Like I can pronounce this: おんなのこ since I learned the hiragana but I would not know what it means.

Hence why I was looking into this software seeing it is for learning Japanese but just giving me a picture and of a girl does not help me too much out seeing I could think it is one thing and really it means something else.

Same as if you say a word slowly enough I could write the characters out but not know what it means.
chobo2

Postby Infidel » Tue 09.19.2006 3:07 am

but I don't know what the pictures really are teaching you because they don't tell you what they are.

This has always been the biggest valid complaint against rosetta. The pictures don't often imply the meanings of the Japanese words.

I reallly can't recommend rosetta at all.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 09.19.2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Gogs » Tue 09.19.2006 3:09 am

The software, from what I'm led to believe, teaches you the way you'd teach a child ie. you show them a picture of a Monkey and say "monkey" etc. I learnt the Romaji first to get used to the words and then went across to Kanji (but following advice from others on here am stopping that and doing Hiragana first)

However if you do want the english translation of each set of 4 pics there should be a pdf file with them on already on your disc. If you can't find them let me PM your e-mail address and I'll send them across to you.

Gogs
Gogs

Postby chikara » Tue 09.19.2006 3:14 am

chobo2 wrote:
Hmm maybe I did not say that clearly enough I can read in the sense of pronouncing each letter character.

Like I can pronounce this: おんなのこ since I learned the hiragana but I would not know what it means.

Hence why I was looking into this software seeing it is for learning Japanese but just giving me a picture and of a girl does not help me too much out seeing I could think it is one thing and really it means something else.

Same as if you say a word slowly enough I could write the characters out but not know what it means.

I see what you mean. I already knew what the words meant and I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the audio gave you the English word as well.
chikara

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 09.19.2006 8:28 am

chobo2 wrote:
or look at the guy on the bottom right holding the dog. What is that suppose to mean?

Didn't you learn the vocab on the first page there? You should already know おとこのこ and いぬ. The only other part is the と and you were taught that on the second page. You seem to just be going forwards without actually learning the words on each slide (you guessed ねことくるま might mean big and small, even though you should already have learnt ねこ and くるま was probably taught in one of the pages you didn't show us) and not actually thinking deep enough. This software seems to be trying to make you do the work, making you learn by discovery. You have to think about what と means and work it out from the examples given. The writers of the software think that this is a better learning method than simply telling you wat と means.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Tue 09.19.2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Tue 09.19.2006 9:00 am

I have to agree with HH.

If you know that ねこ is "cat," how could you think ねことくるま is anything but "cat and [something]"? If you thought it had *anything* to do with "big and small" you're clearly either missing the point or not actually bothering to learn the vocabulary the program is *trying* to teach you.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby CajunCoder » Tue 09.19.2006 11:59 am

The problem with something like rosetta stone is that Japanese is a very, very grammar intense language. With a language like spanish, with grammar very simular to english, this might work as you can figure out context yourself. Not so in Japanese, though - there is no way that you can learn all of the conjugations and abstract words simply from pictures. Your mind is already in "english mode", and these things need to be explained in a language you are familiar with until you get a basic understanding of grammar.
CajunCoder

Postby Sunken » Tue 09.19.2006 12:18 pm

Japanese grammar intensive?! It doesn't even have a definite article! No grammatical genders! It has two tenses! Practically arbitrary sentence ordering!
Japanese is by far the least grammatically complex language I've studied (except Esperanto). I recommend it to people because of this! :o
Sunken

Postby AJBryant » Tue 09.19.2006 12:27 pm

The problem with something like rosetta stone is that Japanese is a very, very grammar intense language.

I have to disagree. Japanese, unlike many European languages, has a VERY simple conjugation pattern (especially in the "standard/polite" Japanese usually taught foreigners). If you're learning something like French, you have half a dozen "regular" conjugations for which you need to learn a buttload of paradigms, to say nothing of their dozens upon dozens of irregular (and very important and common!) verbs.

While I'm not a great fan of solitary user, computerized/CD-based learning methods (e.g., Rosetta or Pimsleur), there is no inherent problem with Rosetta *if* one is willing to actually do the work and use some common sense with what is being seen and what is being taught.

When you've been taught the words for "boy" and "girl," and then see a girl on a bike and a boy on a horse, and get "うま を のる おとこのこ" and "じてんしゃ を のる おんなのこ", and if you can't make the connection that the two words that appear the same in both pictures are "をのる" (and therefore must mean "riding" because they're doing the same action and that's what they're doing, on different things, and then figure out that "じてんしゃ" is "bike" and "うま" must be "horse" -- well, you probably shouldn't be using Rosetta Stone and, frankly, probably shouldn't be trying to teach yourself, then, either.

Sorry....

Tony

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Eglatios » Tue 09.19.2006 1:41 pm

I am currently taking Rosetta Stone Japanese 1, I myself enjoy it, so I bought Japanese 2 also. I never did the demo, so I don't know much about that, but on mine I have 4 .pdf files that I can go into, 1 is Japanese1 in English, then there is Japanese 2 in English, then both of them in Japanese. If you get confused and have no idea what the meaning of the phrase is, you can look it up in the English file. If you are having trouble with the Hiragana, you can click the little button to the right that says "Nihongo" and you will see it all in Romaji. I think Rosetta Stone is a great Program if you are serious about learning a new language. It has worked fine for me.
Eglatios

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 09.19.2006 1:44 pm

Why does it say something like "じてんしゃ を のる おんなのこ?" Why is "おんなのこ" after the phrase?
Cyborg Ninja

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips