Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Self Study or Study Buddy?

Self Study or Study Buddy?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Self Study or Study Buddy?

Postby kukkii » Wed 09.20.2006 5:55 pm

Okieeeee, people!
I've gotta a question that I've been wondering about for..... days. Really!
Should I continue study Japanese alone, or partner up with one of my friends and study from that point with her?
(Choosing the second option would mean making my friend catch on to my level but oh well! x3)

Self studying is good for improving your reading and writing skills - that I know.
However, studying with a friend is a lot better, I think.
You can talk & write to him/her in Japanese, correct each other's sentences and/or pronunciation, help each other out, and (possibly) improve your speaking and listening skills.
(It's SO fun studying with someone else too! Yay fun!)

You might think "Oh, why don't you just go to a Japanese class?" or something like that.
WELL, I'm a 13 yr old freshman fyi, and my high school only teaches Spanish, French, and Portuguese.
AND, I don't know any classes near me. (They might accept adults anyway... poo... =.=)
If I take those online video thingies lessons... DANG I'D BE DEAD BY NOW! XD

Well besides for that previous paragraph, please respond to my question!
THANK YOU! I shall give cookies to you all! Chocolate chip cookies! xD
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

RE: Self Study or Study Buddy?

Postby BrianM » Wed 09.20.2006 8:23 pm

My god are you a happy! lol, Well i've been studying for a few weeks by myself and am doin fine. If u can find a friend who is equally interested and wont drag u down, then go for it!. It definitly would be good forlistening skilles, but then again you can just buy an audio cd or find one online.

Now where my cookie:)
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby MoogleFan » Thu 09.21.2006 4:00 am

Of course studying with a friend is better! You can quiz each other and try to practice conversational skills, too...^_^ You just have to make sure that both of you are willing to work on about the same level of material, otherwise one of you is going to end up getting to far ahead, behind, or frustrated. Make sure you're both on the same "page" so to speak, so that nobody gets burnt out on learning Japanese.
MoogleFan

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 09.21.2006 7:58 am

If you ever plan on living in Japan, study Portuguese. There is a very good chance you will find a use for it.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 09.21.2006 11:03 am

the only use for Portuguese would be in the red light district and I don't really think that is a good place for a 13 year old to be haning out. Just my opinion.. as non-humble as it is
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 09.21.2006 12:27 pm

What a foolish question! Study both ways! :p
Studying is something which should be fun. This is your hobby, and you're seeking information out of your own curiosity and desire to learn. Study any chance you get!

It is important that you study on your own, but studying with a friend as well (especially, if your friend has a true hunger to learn, and doesn't just "want to" but is too lazy and uninspired to study, as everyone around me is...) would make studying much, much more fun. You'd also have someone to practice conversing with, which considering this is a language you are learning, is a very important aspect.

I wish I had someone anywhere near my level whom I could study with, but as usual, in all of the "unusual" interests I persue, I don't. I'm rather envious :p
Last edited by CajunCoder on Thu 09.21.2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby BrianM » Thu 09.21.2006 8:00 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
the only use for Portuguese would be in the red light district and I don't really think that is a good place for a 13 year old to be haning out. Just my opinion.. as non-humble as it is

WhOA! WHat.??? Im Portuguese, and i didnt know about that? What do u mean by the only use for Portguse would be in the Redlight District??
BrianM

Postby kukkii » Fri 09.22.2006 3:28 pm

Awww, thanks so much all of you for commenting (yup, even the odd comments!) <3
I'll keep the tips in mind too... wait a minute...
Nevermind, I'm writing them down. (I tend to forget things so fast... o.o)
And umm.. I don't think I want to know why Portuguese is used in the redlight district... >.>;

[Yesh, if you can tell, I have a cold so I'm not hyper and preppy as usual..]

And if you're wondering about the cookies, it's a long story.
You see, a black cat crossed my path on the way home from school, and just when I was about to go the other long way, the cat jumped on me, scratched my backpack, and then cookies fell out. Well, to sum it up, the cat ate them just when I was about to pick them up..

Uh huh! That's what happen!
A black ate ate my chocolate chip cookies that were meant for you all! x3
Last edited by kukkii on Fri 09.22.2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teh Amelia [Kukkii] RULES ALL!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHAAHH!! *cackles continuously* -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
kukkii

Postby BrianM » Fri 09.22.2006 7:49 pm

kukkii wrote:
Awww, thanks so much all of you for commenting (yup, even the odd comments!) <3
I'll keep the tips in mind too... wait a minute...
Nevermind, I'm writing them down. (I tend to forget things so fast... o.o)
And umm.. I don't think I want to know why Portuguese is used in the redlight district... >.>;

[Yesh, if you can tell, I have a cold so I'm not hyper and preppy as usual..]

And if you're wondering about the cookies, it's a long story.
You see, a black cat crossed my path on the way home from school, and just when I was about to go the other long way, the cat jumped on me, scratched my backpack, and then cookies fell out. Well, to sum it up, the cat ate them just when I was about to pick them up..

Uh huh! That's what happen!
A black ate ate my chocolate chip cookies that were meant for you all! x3

I CALL A HUNT ON THE BLACK CAT!!!!!mmmmmm coookiessss*droools*
BrianM

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips