Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Handy flashcard program

Handy flashcard program

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Handy flashcard program

Postby resolve » Sat 09.23.2006 6:11 am

Hi guys,

I've been in Japan for the last 2 1/2 years, and while I studied hard at first, my motivation gradually dropped. I never made any concerted effort to study vocabulary and ended up forgetting things more often than not. I tried to make vocabulary lists from time to time, but wasn't able to figure out how and when to review them.

Recently a friend up in Tokyo implemented the Supermemo algorithm in Emacs (http://supermemo.com/). This is great because the free Supermemo 98 doesn't support Japanese input (and is also a bit clunky to use).

The key point is that the program takes care of when and how often you should see words, by tracking your performance with them. If you keep getting a word correct, the time until you see it next will keep getting bigger, until you're eventually seeing the word once a year. Likewise with words you struggle with, the time will get shorter until you're able to remember.

I've found this has boosted my motivation to study a lot - instead of having to be responsible for reviewing things (which can seem like a lot of effort), you just review what the program tells you to. And it's nice to know that in the long term, 95% of the words will stick in your long-term memory.

A screenshot with an edict and examples lookup (big, so I won't inline it):

http://repose.cx/dump/fc+edict.png

I've added some code to tidy up the interface a bit, and packaged up a Win32 installer which includes Meadow (Emacs for windows). The win32 installer is at http://repose.ath.cx/flashcard-setup.exe

Note that I originally made the installer for my Japanese students, to help them study English, so all the on-screen instructions are in Japanese. If you have trouble reading something, let me know and I'll provide a translation. Also, you'll need to edit the file c:\meadow\_emacs and change the line:

(setq de-english-mode t)

to:

(setq de-english-mode nil)

Of course if you use Linux or grab the flashcard files yourself, you won't need to.

Instructions can be found at http://repose.cx/flashcard- there are also full vocab lists for the 4 JLPT levels.

Have fun!

Damien
Last edited by resolve on Sat 09.23.2006 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
resolve

RE: Updated version available

Postby resolve » Mon 09.25.2006 7:50 am

I've added a card editor and fixed a few bugs. Win32 users can download everything here:

http://repose.cx/flashen/

If you use the installer, make sure you change de-english-mode as described above.

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

RE: Handy flashcard program

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.25.2006 8:25 am

resolve wrote:
I've added a card editor and fixed a few bugs. Win32 users can download everything here:

http://repose.cx/flashen/

If you use the installer, make sure you change de-english-mode as described above.

The second (update) link given on that page is a 404.

If you are going to make use of example sentences from the Tanaka Corpus consider including some method for sending in corrections. Also note that the example sentences are updated (about once a week on average) if you're using a old copy you won't be getting their full benefit.
paul_b

RE: Thanks

Postby resolve » Mon 09.25.2006 8:42 am

Thank you, I've updated the link for the update software now.

The example sentences aren't actually part of the flashcard program, and are just part of the emacs edict (actually some personal hacks I've made). Providing an update is a good idea.

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby richvh » Mon 09.25.2006 9:42 am

Edict entries for the words in the jlpt4.invalid file:

明い [あかるい]
明い 【あかるい】 (io) (adj) bright, cheerful
~円 [~えん]
円 【えん】 (n) (1) Yen, money, (2) circle, (P)
お~ [(接頭語)]
御 【ご】 (pref) honourable, honorable, (P)
お酒 [おさけ]
お酒 【おさけ】 (n) alcohol, sake
お皿 [おさら]
お皿 【おさら】 (n) plate, dish
お弁当 [おべんとう]
お弁当 【おべんとう】 (n) box lunch
~回 [~かい]
回 【かい】 (n) counter for occurrences, (P)
~階 [~かい]
階 【かい】 (n,n-suf) -floor (counter), stories, storeys, (P)
~か月 [~かげつ]
カ月 【かげつ】 (suf) (number of) months
~月 [~がつ]

~がる
がる (suf) feel
~側 [~がわ]
側 【がわ】 (n,suf) (1) side (of something, or taking someone's side), part, (2) (watch) case, (P)
工 [く]

~くらい
~ぐらい
くらい (suf,prt) approximately, about, almost
~個 [~こ]
個 【こ】 (n,suf) (1) counter for articles and mil. units, (2) individual, (P)
~語 [~ご]
語 【ご】 (n,n-suf) language, word, (P)
~ころ
~ごろ
頃 【ころ】 (n,n-adv,n-suf) (uk) time, about, toward, approximately (time), (P)
~歳 [~さい]
歳 【さい】 (suf) -years-old, (P)
~冊 [~さつ]
冊 【さつ】 (n) (1) volume, (2) counter for books, (P)
~さん
さん (suf) Mr or Mrs, (P)
~時 [~じ]
時 【じ】 (suf) hour
~時間 [~じかん]
時間 【じかん】 (n-adv,n) time, (P)
じゃ [(感動詞)]
では (conj,exp) then, well, so, well then, (P)
~週間 [~しゅうかん]
週間 【しゅうかん】 (n) week, weekly, (P)
~人 [~じん]
人 【じん】 (n) man, person, people, (P)
~すぎ
過ぎ 【すぎ】 (n,n-suf) (1) past, after, (2) too (much), over (e.g., eating), (P)
~ずつ
ずつ (suf) (1) apiece, each, (2) at a time, little by little, bit by bit, inch by inch, piecemeal
~台 [~だい]
台 【だい】 (n,n-suf) (1) stand, rack, table, (2) support, (3) belt, (4) counter for machines, incl. vehicles, (P)
~たち
達 【たち】 (n-suf) plural suffix, (P)
~中 [~ちゅう]
中 【ちゅう】 (suf) (1) medium, mediocre, (2) while, during, at a certain time when one did or is doing something
~度 [~ど]
度 【ど】 (n,n-suf) (1) degree (angle, temperature, scale, etc.), (2) counter for occurrences, times, (3) strength (of alcohol), (pref) (4) (uk) very, totally, (P)
~など
等 【など】 (n,n-suf,prt) (uk) et cetera, etc., and the like, (P)
~日 [~にち]
日 【にち】 (n) day, number of days
~人 [~にん]
人 【にん】 (n) man, person, human being, mankind, people, character, personality, true man, man of talent, adult, other people, messenger, visitor, (P)
~年 [~ねん]
年 【ねん】 (n) counter for years, year (AD)

There doesn't seem to be an edict entry for 月 with the がつ reading, which is of course the counter for months of the year, nor for 工 with the く reading, which is probably the same as sense 1 of
工 【たくみ】 (n,adj-na) (1) workman, artisan, mechanic, carpenter, (2) craft, skill, (3) means, idea
I didn't point to separate entries for ~くらい/~ぐらい or ~ころ/~ごろ though they do exist.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.25.2006 9:53 am

richvh wrote:
There doesn't seem to be an edict entry for 月 with the がつ reading, which is of course the counter for months of the year

There is now.

nor for 工 with the く reading

That's JLPT 4??? I've never heard of it and neither has 大辞林.

[EDIT]It's in 広辞苑 but that just says "See 工(こう)"
Last edited by paul_b on Mon 09.25.2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby richvh » Mon 09.25.2006 10:16 am

Edict entries for jlpt3.invalid:

あ [(感動詞)]
吁 【ああ】 (int) (uk) Ah!, Oh!, Alas!
いくら~ても

~員 [~いん]
員 【いん】 (n,n-suf) member, (P)
大きな [おおきな]
大き 【おおき】 (adj-na) big, large, (P)
~おき

落る [おちる]
落る 【おちる】 (io) (v1,vi) (1) to fall down, to drop, (2) to fail (e.g., exam), (3) to crash, to degenerate, to degrade, (4) to fade, to come out (e.g., a stain)
お祭り [おまつり]
お祭り 【おまつり】 (n) festival, feast
~家 [~か]

~会 [~かい]
会 【かい】 (n,n-suf,vs) meeting, assembly, party, association, club, (P)
~学部 [~がくぶ]
学部 【がくぶ】 (n) department of a university, undergraduate, (P)
~君 [~くん]
君 【くん】 (n,suf) Mr (junior), master, boy, (P)
~軒 [~けん]
軒 【けん】 (suf) house, houses, building
御~ [ご~]
御 【ご】 (pref) (uk) honourable, honorable, (P)
~ございます
ご座います 【ございます】 (exp) to be (polite), to exist, polite copula, (P)
ごらんになる

~様 [~さま]
様 【さま】 (n,suf) (1) (pol) Mr or Mrs, (2) manner, kind, appearance, (P)
さ来週 [さらいしゅう]
さ来週 【さらいしゅう】 (n-adv,n-t) week after next
~式 [~しき]
式 【しき】 (n,n-suf) (1) equation, formula, expression, (2) ceremony, (3) style, (P)
~すぎる
過ぎる 【すぎる】 (v1,vi) to pass, to go beyond, to elapse, to exceed, (P)
~製 [~せい]
製 【せい】 (n,n-suf) -made, make, (P)
~代 [~だい]
代 【だい】 (n,n-suf) (1) charge, cost, price, (2) generation, age, era, reign, (3) counter for decades of ages, eras, etc., (4) switchboard (number), (5) on behalf of, for (someone)
~だす
出す 【だす】 (v5s,vt) (1) to take out, to get out, (2) to put out, to reveal, to show, (3) to submit (e.g., thesis), to turn in, (4) to publish, to make public, (5) to send (e.g., letter), (6) to start (fire), to produce (a sound), (7) to serve (food), (suf) (8) to begin, (P)
楽む [たのしむ]
楽む 【たのしむ】 (io) (v5m) to enjoy oneself
小さな [ちいさな]
小さ 【ちいさ】 (adj-na) small, little, tiny
~ちゃん
ちゃん (n) suffix for familiar (female) person, (P)
~ついて
就いて 【ついて】 (exp) (uk) about, concerning, as to, regarding, (P)
~月 [~つき]
月 【つき】 (n-t) moon, month, (P)

通 【つう】 (adj-na,n) (1) connoisseur, authority, (2) counter for letters, notes, documents, etc., (P)

I didn't find entries for ~おき, ~家 with the か reading, or for the expression ごらんになる. Split expressions like いくら~ても don't get entries, but there are a couple of examples of it:
幾ら欠点が有っても 【いくらけってんがあっても】 (exp) with all one's faults
幾ら勉強しても 【いくらべんきょうしても】 (exp) however hard one may work
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby paul_b » Mon 09.25.2006 10:30 am

richvh wrote:
I didn't find entries for ~おき,

Probably covered by
置きに 【おきに】 (exp,suf) (uk) repeated at intervals

~家 with the か reading

That's not in 広辞苑 or 大辞林. I think it's not considered a separate entry but covered by the various ○家 words (画家 etc.)

or for the expression ごらんになる.

Hmm, I could go either way on that. It wouldn't hurt to add but it's pretty well covered by ごらん and the になる[2] sense.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 09.25.2006 11:40 am

wow, pretty sweet looking...

and using Emacs as a cross-platform development environment (muahahaha).

/zengargoyle -- off to install emacs-cvs-22.0.50 with crossed fingers.
zengargoyle

Postby resolve » Mon 09.25.2006 1:00 pm

Thanks for putting the effort into looking up the invalid JLPT entries. I'll integrate them in the next day or so.

I've also built an English update which includes all the JLPT files in the patch, and automatically sets up "Japanese mode", so you don't have to edit any files. Please run it after running flashcard-setup.exe.

http://repose.ath.cx/flashcard-update-en.exe

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby richvh » Mon 09.25.2006 1:25 pm

How do you invoke one of the pre-built JLPT decks? It's been a while since I played with Emacs, and I never really knew it very well (used vim more when I was fooling around with Linux.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 09.25.2006 2:03 pm

it's in that de-<something> file, but it's not obvious what some of the 'controll' commands are.
IIRC, it's C-x C-f <filename>. (Ctrl-x Ctrl-f)

i don't have it installed at work yet :). but you just load the jlpt deck file and it starts automagically.
zengargoyle

Postby richvh » Mon 09.25.2006 2:30 pm

Going through the JLPT-4-common deck, and came across this clue:

(v5r) (uk) (hum) to be (animate)/to be/to exist

The answer given was 居る 【いる】, but that's v1; the v5r version of 居る is 居る 【おる】

Next problem:

Clue is 一日, answer is 【いちにち】 (n) (1) first of month, but I believe that いちにち usually means "one day", and ついたち is the reading for "the first of the month"
Last edited by richvh on Mon 09.25.2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby resolve » Tue 09.26.2006 12:10 am

Hi Richard,

You're right - it seems there are some errors. I didn't generate the original list and haven't vetted it. To be honest, I prefer to use my own flashcard deck, as words I learn in context (reading books, watching TV, etc) seem more relevant, and tend to stick a lot better. But a lot of people don't want to enter their own words, and just want to use the pre-existing decks.

Anyway, even though there may be some errors, the majority of the material there should be correct. Perhaps I should add a way to submit changes (made via the deck editor) back.

Regarding selecting the deck to quiz with, the earlier answer of C-x C-f is correct, though I plan to add a menu in the future which'll let you choose which deck to test with.

Cheers,

Damien
Last edited by resolve on Tue 09.26.2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
resolve

Postby richvh » Tue 09.26.2006 10:19 am

Another error - for the clue (n,adj-no) afterwards, since then, in the future, the answer given is 後 【うしろ】, but that definition goes with the reading のち, and the reading I'd expect to see on JLPT4 would be あと, with a definition of (adj-no,n-adv,n) after, behind, later, rear, remainder, successor. There's also a heck of a lot of non-JLPT4 kanji being used.

Edit: another reading mismatch: clue is 外, answer is 【そと】(n) other place/the rest, but that definition closely matches the ほか reading's definition, and the そと reading's definition is (n) (1) outside, exterior, (2) open air, (3) other place, (P)
(そと is the one I'd expect on JLPT4)
Last edited by richvh on Tue 09.26.2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips