Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Handy flashcard program

Handy flashcard program

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Original decks

Postby resolve » Tue 10.03.2006 8:48 am

Hi Richard,

The original decks can be found on this page:

http://www.thbz.org/kanjimots/jlpt.php3

He mentions that you should mail him if you find any serious errors, so please direct problems his way. I can put the code used to generate the flashcard decks online if you'd like.

What I'm more interested in is how people have been finding the flashcard portion of the program. Any success stories or problems?

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

RE: Handy flashcard program

Postby richvh » Tue 10.03.2006 10:00 am

paul_b wrote:
richvh wrote:
There doesn't seem to be an edict entry for 月 with the がつ reading, which is of course the counter for months of the year

There is now.

nor for 工 with the く reading

That's JLPT 4??? I've never heard of it and neither has 大辞林.

[EDIT]It's in 広辞苑 but that just says "See 工(こう)"

Looking at the vocab list Meguro, it should have been 九(く), not 工(く).

Whoever chose the kanji for the JLPT4 list, and crossreferenced to edict, didn't know as much as they should have. I mean, giving the same gloss for あの [(指示詞)] and あの [(感動詞)]? A little thought should make one realize that "that over there" isn't an interjection. I haven't looked at the other lists, but probably the same problems exist there.

The flashcard program looks useful; I'm just not a big user of flashcards.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby mteric » Tue 10.03.2006 10:53 am

What I'm more interested in is how people have been finding the flashcard portion of the program. Any success stories or problems?

I don't mean to offend in any way, but I find that this is very much "geek-ware". From the setup to configuration, you have to think like a programmer, even to get it running. This may be more than the average user will want to go through.

That being said, and being a "geek" myself, I think the flashcard program is very cool. I like that it is in emacs... the program is visually pleasing. I haven't had any problems yet.

That's my two cents worth. ;)
mteric

RE: Thanks

Postby resolve » Wed 10.04.2006 9:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not at all offended that it's a bit 'geek-ware' - I've found it very useful in my own studies and would like it to help others, too - but not so much that I'm ready to rewrite it in some other language and make a custom GUI!

Cheers :-)

Damien
resolve

Postby mteric » Wed 10.04.2006 2:23 pm

No problem!

I actually worked on a GUI-based flashcard/quiz kanji program for Windows a while back, but I didn't ever finish it. Besides, there's plenty of programs on the web that do the same thing, so I decided not to reinvent the wheel. :D
mteric

RE: English version available

Postby resolve » Mon 10.09.2006 11:24 pm

I spent a few hours last night tidying things up, merging parts of the code, and implementing English support. If the Japanese interface is a bit daunting, please try it in English instead.

http://repose.cx/flashcard/

Note that due to some reorganization, some existing users will need to make a few small changes to their config.

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

RE: Brilliant Flashcard Program

Postby DavidM » Thu 10.19.2006 12:52 am

:)I downloaded and purchased Stackz flashcard program last month after it was recommended in the JapanShop newsletter and I love it. Just from playing around with it while I'm working I've probably increased my verb and adjective knowledge by a 3rd.

http://www.stackz.com

They have a 30day trial (as was mentioned in the newsletter) so it's worth checking it out.

Cheers,
David
Last edited by DavidM on Thu 10.19.2006 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

RE: Hmm

Postby resolve » Thu 10.19.2006 11:14 pm

I had a quick look at the stacks website. They seem to use a varient of the leitner system which classifies cards into 5 "levels". The vast majority of flashcard programs out there use a leitner based system as it's simple to implement.

Stacks uses coloured graphs to indicate the age of cards, and like most flashcard programs out there, puts the responsibility of when to review on you - you can choose to drill a set of cards over and over, and when to review the cards. I think is a really bad idea. For one, people have a tendency to overly review cards they have difficulty with. It doesn't matter how many times you practice a card in a small amount of time - the important part is spaced repetition. You're much better off getting a card correct once and trying again the next day than practicing one more time.

Stacks also, from what I can tell, relies on diagrams to indicate when you need to review. This makes it easy to skip the review stages and you end up having to micromanage your cards which are up for review.

The flashcard program I originally mentioned uses the supermemo algorithm, which I believe is considerably better. It takes the opposite approach of something like stacks - instead of leaving everything up to you, it takes responsibility for when and which cards you should see. If a card is up for review it will be shown in preference to teaching you a new word. If you've successfully answered a question it won't show it to you again for at least a day, and much more depending on how consistently you can answer correctly. All you have to do is open the program once a day and answer the questions it asks, and you're set.

Also note that in stacks you can only answer "correct" or "incorrect". In the supermemo algorithm, you tell the computer how well you remembered. Instead of pressing enter/esc etc to indicate correctness, you press a key from 1-5 to indicate the level of recall. It's much easier for you to judge if you remembered something easily, after a lot of effort, or not at all, than it is for a computer to judge. And your answers ensure that the words you have more difficulty with are treated appropriately.

Oh .. and the flashcard program I originally mentioned is free :-)

Damien
resolve

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips