Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Writing Essays in Japanese

Writing Essays in Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Writing Essays in Japanese

Postby Oyaji » Wed 09.27.2006 12:55 am

That's a great translation. I've made a few corrections that I thought might be a little better.

日本にも「小論文の書き方」という類のものはありますが、今回のケースでは役に立つとは思えません。

Japan also has a kind of "short essay writing technique", but in this case I don't think it will be useful.

「英作文の組み立て方」についてchequer-sanが説明したいと思うことを、単純に英文を和訳すれば、それで充分だと思います。

I think simply translating the English sentences into Japanese should be enough for you (chequer-san) to explain the "techniques for organizing English compositions."

差し支えなければ、「英作文の組み立て方」についてchequer-sanがどのような内容のessayを日本人のために書くのか、英文と和文で、このフォーラムに投稿していただけませんか?

If you don't mind, perhaps you could post in English and Japanese your essay explaining to your Japanese friends the "techniques for organizing English compositions".

そうすれば、日本語訳を手伝ってくださる人もいらっしゃるし、みなさんの(そして私の)勉強にもなると思います。

If you do that, then people will come to help you with the Japanese translation, and everyone (including myself) can study together.

その日本人の方のessayがどのような内容かにもよりますが、
このサイトがその方の役に立つかもしれません。

It depends on the contents of the essay the Japanese person is writing, but this site (link) may be of help to them as well.

ご参考までに。

For reference (you may find this useful).

(私は読んでいませんが)

(I haven't read it.)
Oyaji

Postby magma » Wed 09.27.2006 1:04 am

どうもありがとうございました、親父さん! Thanks to you, I, too, can now experience the rush of satisfaction that comes from understanding every word in one of coco-san's Japanese posts. ^_^
Last edited by magma on Wed 09.27.2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby coco » Wed 09.27.2006 2:55 am

I hope you won't think me rude for doing so, coco-san,
magmaさん。お気遣いありがとうございます。まったく問題ありません。 :) 
訳してくださった方がchequer-sanに意味が伝わる可柏ォが高いので、むしろ ありがたく思います。

Oyajiさん。お手伝いくださってありがとうございます。
essay が日本語でいう「随筆=エッセイ」なのか「作文」なのか「小論文」なのかわかりませんでした。
日本語での文章(作文、報告書、論文、提案書等、各種ありますが)の組み立て方と、英語での場合で、著しく異なる点はありますか? もしそうであれば、多くの方が興味を持っておられますし、私も興味がありますので、お聞かせ願えれば幸いです。 …  …英語で。
Last edited by coco on Wed 09.27.2006 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby CajunCoder » Wed 09.27.2006 4:56 am

chikara wrote:
CajunCoder wrote:
Personally, I hate the "5 paragraph structure" that the school system loves so much.........
What is this "5 paragraph structure"? Image

The standard form of essays taught in School - at least, here.

You have 5 parts, basically:
Intro (introduces the topic and your views/points)
3 paragraphs of filler backing up your point
Conclusion (restates your opinions/views, and concludes)

Infidel wrote:
It is definitely not a more logical way to write. the whole point of the five paragraph system is to get students in the habit of structuring their thoughts appropriately on paper. The most important part goes in the beginning because in real life real reports tend to number in the hundreds of pagesand the people reading them want to get to the point immediately and not read through 80 pages to find out what the answer is.

Hm... Perhaps that is largely due to the our language and mind-set? We are impatient, and rather get straight to the point.
I still hold that, in many cases, keeping your point/opinion obscure until you have given a little insight on the situation and your reasons first is the better way of doing things - it keeps people from making immediate judgement upfront.

Of course, depending on what you are writing about, different styles of writing will be more suited for different messages/content. If the standard 5-paragraph structure fits your content, wonderful! However, that isn't always the case.

Too many people generalize and come up with these very specific structures for writing, and declare any differentiation from those structures to be simply "wrong". Language is an art, not a science. Of course, guidelines can improve any art, but that is what they should be - guidelines.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Wed 09.27.2006 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Oyaji » Wed 09.27.2006 5:17 am

ココさん、アメリカの学校では、「感想文」や「小論文」を一般的にessayと言いますが、今回の場合は「作文」と考えていいと思います。

「日本語での作文の書き方」と聞くとどうしても自分の子どもが小学生のときに書いた作文を思い出してしまいます。内容も題も関係なく、必ず「僕は、・・・」で始まりました。それを書いてから何を書くかを考え始めるという感じでした。あまり勧められる書き方ではありません。 :D

参考になるようなことを思いつくかどうかわかりませんが、少し考えさせてください。
Oyaji

Postby Infidel » Wed 09.27.2006 5:58 am

Too many people generalize and come up with these very specific structures for writing, and declare any differentiation from those structures to be simply "wrong". Language is an art, not a science. Of course, guidelines can improve any art, but that is what they should be - guidelines.

I think the context was essays, not writing in general. No one ever said that the 5 paragraph structure was the best way to write everything. At least, no one I ever heard of.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby coco » Wed 09.27.2006 6:58 am

Oyajiさん。
なるほど。「作文」ですね。ご回答ありがとうございます。
日本の「作文」の場合は、論旨よりも、どちらかというと阜サ方法に力点を置いて教えているかもしれません。書きたいことがない場合、作文を書くのは誰にとっても辛いことです。 ;)

文通相手の方が何を書いたのか気になるところ。
たとえば「虫」というテーマの作文だったとして
片方は「鈴虫の音に深まりゆく秋を感じる」などという極めて情緒的な内容の文章を書いており、もう一方は「なぜ昆虫の羽音は日本人に心地よく響くのか」という小論文のつもりで直すと、すごいことになると思いませんか。 :D

いっそTJPにその方も参加して、keat先生の英会話スレッドに参加してくださると楽しいのに…と思ったりして。

Infidel wrote:
In school writing is targeted towards teachers who already knows the answers. School writing is a display of knowledge; in real life writing is targeted towards people who do not already know the answer but do not necessarily want to read through everything to discover how the answer was arrived at.

Infidelさん。同感です。
文章を書く目的こそが、文章の組み立て方にもっとも大きく影響していると私は思います。
Last edited by coco on Wed 09.27.2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips