Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Intermediate Japanese language learning materials recomendat

Intermediate Japanese language learning materials recomendat

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Intermediate Japanese language learning materials recomendat

Postby the_haunted_boy » Mon 10.02.2006 3:31 pm

can someone recomend me something? I want something that is at an intermediate level or something that is not too beginer but too advanced either.
the_haunted_boy

RE: Intermediate Japanese language learning materials recome

Postby Milmi » Mon 10.02.2006 4:53 pm

How about buying some novels and start reading real Japanese? (I don't consider text books' texts as "real Japanese" because they are directed to the Japanese language students and are in the end quote barren). If adults' books seem to be too difficult, you could try some children books instead (like ハリー・ポッター and such).

Then you could purchase some grammar book and check the unknown grammar points from there. One really good grammar book is A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar (I recommed always useful A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, too). Together these two books are a brilliant!

P. S. Check the Store for Intermediate learning material.
Kanjikaveri - Finnish site about Japan and Japanese
Milmi

Postby the_haunted_boy » Tue 10.03.2006 12:43 pm

Milmi wrote:
How about buying some novels and start reading real Japanese? (I don't consider text books' texts as "real Japanese" because they are directed to the Japanese language students and are in the end quote barren). If adults' books seem to be too difficult, you could try some children books instead (like ハリー・ポッター and such).

Then you could purchase some grammar book and check the unknown grammar points from there. One really good grammar book is A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar (I recommed always useful A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, too). Together these two books are a brilliant!

P. S. Check the Store for Intermediate learning material.

Are there any children's books that are excusivly to Japanese only? Because I love to read a lot af childrens books and it might be hard to find a Japanese translation of one that I have not already read in english.
the_haunted_boy

Postby chchan45 » Mon 10.09.2006 2:15 pm

Hello,

I suggest a series of books called ことわざ探偵団. It was one of the first books I read after deciding I have had enough of textbooks (Milmi I cannot agree with you more).

I think there are 5 of them in the series, as follows:
数字のことわざ探偵団
鳥のことわざ探偵団
数字のことわざ探偵団
虫のことわざ探偵団
顔のことわざ探偵団

It is divided into short chapters and the vocabulary is easily manageable. Each chapter contains a Japanese proverb as well as interesting facts which even adults may not know. I managed to learn as much Japanese as general knowledge from reading them.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.09.2006 4:56 pm

I tried the children books route, it didn't work out very well. My first suggestion is to go bi-lingual. There are Japanese readers that have English on one side and Japanese on the other. There are also bi-lingual magazines like Hiragana Times and Nihongo Journal. All of these are great in that intermediate stage.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby the_haunted_boy » Mon 10.09.2006 5:49 pm

I am not saying that I have a problem with textbooks, I will take your textbook recommendations too.
the_haunted_boy

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 10.09.2006 6:51 pm

Infidel wrote:
I tried the children books route, it didn't work out very well.

May I ask why?
Schattenjedi

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.09.2006 8:24 pm

Why the irritating bold print for everything?
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Tue 10.10.2006 2:09 am

Schattenjedi wrote:
Infidel wrote:
I tried the children books route, it didn't work out very well.

May I ask why?

The grammar was all different, the subject matter less relevant and interesting. The kanji were more sparse unless I was looking at my pre-WW2 children's books, and about a dozen other small nagging things.

It's actually much easier to read with kanji than without. I bought these children's books thinking that they would be written more simply, and thus be easier to learn from. However, while they are written more simply, the grammar is more abbreviated, and again, less kanji. I can't really articulate all the problems I had. But the benefits did not measure up to my expectations.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Steve_Poppers » Sun 10.15.2006 11:34 am

That's amazing. What I was actually thinking about was children's books. The bilingual magazines sound like a much better idea.

You seem to know where to get this kind of stuff.
Steve_Poppers

Postby aKuMu » Sun 10.15.2006 11:56 am

aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby clay » Sun 10.15.2006 12:52 pm

I never liked children's books as a beginner just because the intellectual level was so 低い

Nihongo Journal is definitely awesome for intermediates. Most of the content is too tough for beginners but the upper beginner to upper intermediate stages benefit the most. Highly recommended. We have a few of the back issues at the store before ALC stopped the magazine. They have since started again but don't ship abroad (or wholesale for that matter!). My friend, Max at http://www.whiterabbitpress.com stocks the new issues if you don't live in Japan.

Also, Yumi and I made a few reading practice packages with MP3s. I think I still have the download links active and I mentioned it in a past news posting. But if not, they are under the free section at thejapanshop.com.

Other than that, just read anything you can get your hands on. Try finding articles of interest on any of the Japanese newspaper websites. With Rikaichan for Firefox, reading is a snap (of course try without mousing over!). Another great starting point is http://www.popjisyo.com/WebHint/Portal_e.aspx which does the same thing.
clay
Site Admin

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips