Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PDA Pocket PC do you have it?!

PDA Pocket PC do you have it?!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

PDA Pocket PC do you have it?!

Postby Diana » Fri 10.20.2006 9:29 pm

I'm thinking about to get one of these hi-tech gadgets but really don't know anything about it :o

The translators looks so big and that keybord very bad for write, so maybe a pda could be better?! What do you think? Does anybody here have an idea?! Carry a book all the way doesn't looks so nice at tech-land JAPAN......
I slip, I slid I don't know why I hide
Diana

RE: PDA Pocket PC do you have it?!

Postby Teh_Freak » Fri 10.20.2006 11:40 pm

I have a HP iPaq PocketPC, comes really handy when I load up KingHanzi/KingKanji to learn those characters in my spare time. Then again, I don't have any translation software on it, so I guess it really depends on what you want to do.
Teh_Freak

Postby firescorpy » Fri 10.20.2006 11:50 pm

I used to own lots of pocket PCs, like iPAQ, Dell Axim x50v, etc. I lost interest though. It does make a nice translator, but still not as good as a dedicated one.
firescorpy

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 10.21.2006 12:27 am

I've never used a PDA as a dictionary because I find a 電子辞書 to be faster and have better references anyways. I did buy a really cheap Genio on yahoo auctions and loaded PocketStackz onto it. I got rid of the 4000+ flashcards I had, and put them all on my PDA. So nice.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby BigKahuna13 » Fri 10.27.2006 11:14 am

Have an iPaq loaded with JWPce. JWPce is a nice freeware editor/dictionary that uses Jim Breen's dictionary. You can use the editor to read a text (it understands all common Japanese encodings) and, if you need to look up a word, all yuo need do is highlight it and tap the dictionary icon. Downside is that the included dictionary does not include sample sentences.

I find it very useful as a reading device - download emails and newspaper articles to it for reading while commuting - but I wouldn't make it my primary dictionary.
BigKahuna13

Postby Nibble » Fri 10.27.2006 11:18 am

In addition to loading JWPce on your PDA, I highly recommend paying $25 to use Eijirou. Instructions are available at http://www.peterrivard.com/Pages/SuperDictionary.html.
Nibble

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips