Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese childrens' books to practice reading?

Japanese childrens' books to practice reading?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese childrens' books to practice reading?

Postby hikari_01 » Mon 10.23.2006 11:15 pm

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for childrens' books in Japanese. Preferably with some kanji (probly only up through 4kyuu level). I've been learning kanji (and of course I know all the kana) and I'm looking for some reading practice. Te stories don't have to be great, just for the practice. I tried searching for kid books on http://www.yesasia.com, but they don't let you see what's inside or give very good discriptions. So...any title suggestions? Thanks so much.
hikari_01

RE: Japanese childrens' books to practice reading?

Postby Fukumori » Tue 10.24.2006 1:05 am

やっぱりおおかみ is one book I'm keeping my eye out for. It's really cute, from what I can see on the cover, and I bet it has an interesting story. Good luck finding it, tho'. I wanna know where I can get children's books, too!!!
Fukumori

Postby lemonaid » Tue 10.24.2006 2:24 am

Why not order it?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4834005208
http://www.ehonnavi.net/ehon00.asp?No=2251

The ISBN number is there. That's all you need to order it at your local bookstore.

ISBN: 4834005208
Last edited by lemonaid on Tue 10.24.2006 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemonaid

Postby hungryhotei » Tue 10.24.2006 6:26 am

I think it would be a good idea to finish working through your textbook before trying to read books. Otherwise there will just be too many grammatical constructions that you can't recognise.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 10.24.2006 7:09 am

Oh, let him be the 10 millionth person to independently figure out that children's books are crap as beginner learning material.
Mike Cash

Postby WacKostRacKo » Tue 10.24.2006 8:56 am

Why are they crap? I thought it would be a good way to consolidate learnt vocab and grammar. And there is always the motivational factor that you can now read a book completely in Japanese and understand it.

Surely, the books are designed for children to learn as well. I knicked this from another thread but you know what i mean..

two_heads_talking wrote:
sometimes the endevor to accomplish something is greater than the accomplishment.
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby paul_b » Tue 10.24.2006 9:07 am

WacKostRacKo wrote:
Why are they crap? I thought it would be a good way to consolidate learnt vocab and grammar. And there is always the motivational factor that you can now read a book completely in Japanese and understand it.

Surely, the books are designed for children to learn as well.

Children's books use a lot more vocabulary than you'd expect and they're also likely to use vocabulary and grammar for kids. In other words you run the risk of ending up calling trains choo-choos.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 10.24.2006 9:20 am

paul_b wrote:
WacKostRacKo wrote:

Surely, the books are designed for children to learn as well.

My kid needs a trike.... Maybe something like this?

Children's books use a lot more vocabulary than you'd expect and they're also likely to use vocabulary and grammar for kids. In other words you run the risk of ending up calling trains choo-choos.

Conversely, many learners assume that Japanese kids learn Japanese grammar in some linear fashion just as we do and that due to their youth, their books will only contain simple grammar. Such is not the case.
Mike Cash

Postby hikari_01 » Tue 10.24.2006 11:22 am

ok, well if childrens books are a bad idea, what other ways do you suggest for reading practice? even if i don't know all the vocab & grammer i am willing to look up a few things as i go.
hikari_01

Postby AJBryant » Tue 10.24.2006 12:23 pm

Oh, let him be the 10 millionth person to independently figure out that children's books are crap as beginner learning material.

Preach it, brah.

I say the same thing about manga, but no one ever listens.

If someone *really* has a decent grasp on grammatical basics, and knows where to go to get the answers to things they may encounter and not grok, regular literature should be fine. Lots of new vocabulary, sure, but isn't that *why* one reads?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Rounin T » Tue 10.24.2006 12:45 pm

On the other hand, it's obvious to me that many adult Americans want to learn to speak like a manga schoolgirl, while others wouldn't mind talking like a Japanese 4-year-old. A strange phenomenon, sure, but you've seen what passes for style in the English language these days.
Rounin T

Postby Fukumori » Tue 10.24.2006 1:13 pm

Conversely, many learners assume that Japanese kids learn Japanese grammar in some linear fashion just as we do and that due to their youth, their books will only contain simple grammar. Such is not the case.

Yeah, but I still understand Rumiko Takahashi's manga much better than say, the more polished and modern manga which include more tricky dialogue. By the way, I AM recommending you shop for some Japanese Ranma 1/2 manga, Hikari! It's got a great story that's easy to pick up, and relatively simple dialogue.

You definitely have a good point, tho', Mike.
Last edited by Fukumori on Tue 10.24.2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fukumori

Postby Nibble » Tue 10.24.2006 1:17 pm

If you want something entertaining and easy to understand for a beginner, get the Yotsuba& manga series. Just don't try to talk like any of the characters in the book.
Nibble

Postby BetterSense » Thu 11.02.2006 2:19 pm

I agree, I have Yotsubato volume 1 in japanese and found it very easy to read, and I can't read very much at all. I'm thinking about buying volume 2 now.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips