Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - In a predicament... (Please read if you have used Genki)

In a predicament... (Please read if you have used Genki)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

In a predicament... (Please read if you have used Genki)

Postby Toriyama » Sun 10.29.2006 3:19 pm

I am between level 3 and 4 on Clay's experience rating list (from The Japan Shop). I have bought quite a few books on kanji and grammar along with a kanji dictionary and will soon purchase A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar along with a few other Kodansha books. I have custom-made vocabulary flashcards and JLPT vocabulary lists that will be more than sufficient for me, but I think that a textbook may help me out a great deal right now. I want to ge tthe Genki text book, but I am not sure if I would already know all of the information presented in Genki I or not. If I already know everything in Genki I then I will have wasted my money. Now, I am asking those who have used the Genki textbook what they think that I should do. Should I buy Genki II? Or is it neccessary to have used Genki I before you use Genki II? I just don't want to waste my money on a book filled with information I already know. By the way, I know approximately 120 kanji (studied from the JLPT lists).
Last edited by Toriyama on Sun 10.29.2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toriyama

RE: In a predicament... (Please read if you have used Genki)

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 10.29.2006 5:44 pm

Toriyama wrote:
I am between level 3 and 4 on Clay's experience rating list (from The Japan Shop).

A very well-hidden feature. Could you point me at it, please?
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Toriyama » Sun 10.29.2006 5:46 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Toriyama wrote:
I am between level 3 and 4 on Clay's experience rating list (from The Japan Shop).

Here
Toriyama

Postby KNH » Sun 10.29.2006 5:51 pm

Well, I don't know exactly what being between Clay-san's level 3 and 4 mean, but I have Genki I and II. For the most part, if you know the grammar points that are listed here, I don't think you need to buy Genki I. As far as kanji is concerned, Genki I covers 145 kanji.
Last edited by KNH on Sun 10.29.2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

Postby Toriyama » Sun 10.29.2006 5:58 pm

If I do buy these, should I also buy the workbook, CD, and Answer Key? Or would that not matter?
Toriyama

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 10.29.2006 6:02 pm

Toriyama wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Toriyama wrote:

Here

Thank you.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby KNH » Sun 10.29.2006 6:08 pm

I cannot truly say for you, but for me, that wasn't necessary. Each lesson is broken up like this: dialogue, vocabulary, grammar, and practice (based on the vocab and grammar). That was pretty much all that I needed.
KNH

Postby Schattenjedi » Sun 10.29.2006 7:32 pm

I would recommend getting only Genki 2 and none of the extra resources.
Schattenjedi

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Tue 10.31.2006 7:16 pm

Since I have Genki I open right now, let me give you a quick rundown of the material covered in it.

Ch1 - basic sentence structure, possession, noun, time/age, forming a question
Ch2 - this/that, noun+mo, ja arimasen (it starts off with polite structures), ne/yo
Ch3 - verb conjugation, verb types in the present tense, time reference, particles, frequency adverbs
Ch4 - arimasu/imasu, describing where things are, past tense (still polite), length of time, takusan, 'to', locations, days/weeks/months/years
Ch5 - adjectives, suki/kirai, "let's...", counting, degree expressions
Ch6 - te form, te+kudasai, te+mo ii, te+haikemasen, more than one verb in a sentence, kara, directions
Ch7 - te+iru, kami ga nakai, te forms for joining sentences, verb + ni iku, counting people, parts of the body, family
Ch 8 - short forms, naide kudasai, verb + no ga suki, ga, nani ka/nani mo
Ch 9 - past tense plain forms, qualifying nouns with verbs and adjectives, mada -te imasen, kara again (as 'from' I guess, first one was for 'because'), colors
Ch10 - comparison, adjective/noun + no, tsumori da, adjective + naru, dokoka ni/doko ni mo, de, at the station
Ch11 - tai, tari~tarisuru, koto ga aru, 'ya', in a japanese class
Ch12 - ~n desu, sugiru, hou ga ii, node, nakuchaikemasen, deshou, health/illness
Cyborg Ninja

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips