Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Electronic Dictionaries

Electronic Dictionaries

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Electronic Dictionaries

Postby vega12 » Mon 10.30.2006 3:19 am

I have a G90 electronic dictionary. I was wondering if it is possible to search for Japanese words in the dictionary, using kanji as input instead of just the reading? One of the most common uses I have for dictionaries is looking up kanji words which I don't know the reading or meaning of. Normally on my computer, I would search for the kanji individually then copy and paste them into a dictionary (all of this usually done through JWPce). Is there a way to do something like this on the G90 or any other electronic dictionary model? I really like the ability to find kanji easily on the G90, but when they have a multitude of readings (or worse, when the word I want has an irregular reading), it makes it very difficult to locate the word in question.
\"Intelligence is neither quantitative nor qualitative; it is subjective.\"
\"Your contribution to the heat-death of the universe is negligible at best!\"
-Chris Locke
vega12

RE: Electronic Dictionaries

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.30.2006 3:33 am

For some reason I can't make heads or tails of what you are saying.

Do you mean using the jump button? (well, the jump pen, as the g90 doesn't have a jump button anymore)

For each kanji there are a list of 関連 words that use that kanji. ALthough it's not comprehensive, it will usually have the word you're looking for.

If you can read the kanji enough to input it, and look up the meaning and other pronunciations, why can't you sound out the word to put into the J-E dictionary?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 10.30.2006 3:49 am

vega12 wrote:
I have a G90 electronic dictionary. I was wondering if it is possible to search for Japanese words in the dictionary, using kanji as input instead of just the reading?

http://www.canon-sales.co.jp/wordtank/g90/function.html

That link certainly makes it look that way, doesn't it?

読み方がわからない漢字があった場合など、付属のスタイラスを使ってタッチパネルに直接文字を書き、そのまま検索をすることができます。また、続けて文字を手書き入力することで熟語の検索も可狽ナす。

Did the thing not come with an owner's manual?
Last edited by Mike Cash on Mon 10.30.2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby clay » Mon 10.30.2006 6:19 am

Are you talking about using the Kanjigen dictionary and having multitudes of pages to wade through? If so, try combining two or more options: For example, stroke number AND radical. Usually if you just put in the stroke number, you will have tons of pages, but 2 or more options usually bring it down to a handful.

I made a video on this here:
https://www.thejapanshop.com/jisho/kanjilookup/index.html

Or if you are talking about jukugo, like Harisenbon said, you can find the of 関連 words by hitting the examples button on the kanji page you are interested in. I think the key is labeled 関連 or if not maybe 熟語
clay
Site Admin

Postby catcomer » Mon 10.30.2006 8:12 am

hi....i'm planning on buying an electronic dictionary next weekend, just wondering if you had any recommendations on good makes? i'm living in tokyo at the moment so will probably go to akihabara or somewhere like that. wanting to spend around 3万円
catcomer

Postby clay » Mon 10.30.2006 8:38 am

It's hard to say. Most new models are so similar, it really boils down to what brand of dictionary you want.

There are really only two functions that are not found in every machine.
1) backlighting - the Seiko SR-E10000 and E9000 are the only ones I know of that have this feature - But there could be some Sony models that do. I am using the E10000 and love it. If you plan on using it at night or in poor lighting, this is really handy. However, it would probably be over your budget.

2) Stylus and draw kanji feature - The Casio XD-470 (not really recommended because of it small dictionaries), the Canon V80, V90 and G90 all have this feature. The V80 should be in your budget.

Even though the J-E and E-J are smaller on the V80 than the E10000 for example, you should find most words just fine. And for the ones you can't find, just search in the J-J. That would be good practice too - reading the Japanese definition.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Ashurii » Mon 10.30.2006 9:01 am

clay wrote:
There are really only two functions that are not found in every machine.
1) backlighting - the Seiko SR-E10000 and E9000 are the only ones I know of that have this feature - But there could be some Sony models that do. I am using the E10000 and love it. If you plan on using it at night or in poor lighting, this is really handy. However, it would probably be over your budget.

I'd have to put in another vote for the SR-E10000, I bought one in June and I'm extremely happy with it (though I don't actually get to use the backlight as often as I'd like to!), last I checked Seiko was still boasting that they were the only ones with backlights, though it could have changed since June, so..
Ashurii

Postby vega12 » Wed 11.01.2006 1:28 am

Thanks for the help, that 関連 button helps, but I think an example might clarify what I mean.

Say for example I come across the word 大人. Now, putting aside the fact that I do know this word, it has a pretty irregular reading: おとな. If I were to search for this word, normally I'd look up the kanji individually, then copy and paste each kanji 大 and 人, into the dictionary of JWPce, and it would find the word no problem. What would be the best way of locating a word like this using my e-dictionary? I'd like to be able to put kanji into the 和英 or 和和 dictionary and search using that, instead of just kana.
-Chris Locke
vega12

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 11.01.2006 6:50 am

Did you miss my post?
Mike Cash

Postby vega12 » Thu 11.02.2006 3:32 am

Mike Cash wrote:
vega12 wrote:
I have a G90 electronic dictionary. I was wondering if it is possible to search for Japanese words in the dictionary, using kanji as input instead of just the reading?

http://www.canon-sales.co.jp/wordtank/g90/function.html

That link certainly makes it look that way, doesn't it?

読み方がわからない漢字があった場合など、付属のスタイラスを使ってタッチパネルに直接文字を書き、そのまま検索をすることができます。また、続けて文字を手書き入力することで熟語の検索も可狽ナす。

Did the thing not come with an owner's manual?

First of all, I did not miss your post. My Japanese is not good enough to fully understand your quoted sentence, but I can tell that it seems to lead you to believe that you can input kanji into the dictionary. You are in fact correct. However, this feature seems to be limited to just the kanji dictionary, and the Chinese dictionaries. I can only use the reading to search for words in the Japanese-Japanese dictionary, or the Japanese-English dictionary. And believe me, I've tried. I suppose I should've been more clear when I said "dictionary" and stated that I was concerned with the Japanese-Japanese and Japanese-English dictionaries specifically.

Secondly, yes it does come with an owner's manual. Unfortunately for me, this contains only a small section in English, which does not offer any hint that would lead me to believe that this feature is available.

Would you happen to know if there are dictionaries out there (besides JWPce, which I use all the time when I am at my computer) that would have this feature? I appreciate your patience and understanding.
-Chris Locke
vega12

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 11.02.2006 7:02 am

vega12 wrote:

First of all, I did not miss your post. My Japanese is not good enough to fully understand your quoted sentence, but I can tell that it seems to lead you to believe that you can input kanji into the dictionary. You are in fact correct. However, this feature seems to be limited to just the kanji dictionary, and the Chinese dictionaries.

Take a look at the url I provided again and take special note of the group of four screen shots. The upper left one is for looking up Chinese stuff. The other three seem to indicate that you can also do this for looking up Japanese via kanji or kana, and English via the English alphabet. I do see indications googling around that this may be limited to limited to looking up Chinese words via these methods, so it is far from clear that you are mistaken in believing that the function is limited to looking up Chinese.

Secondly, yes it does come with an owner's manual. Unfortunately for me, this contains only a small section in English, which does not offer any hint that would lead me to believe that this feature is available.

When I made my original post, I hunted for an online version of the owner's manual, and just now tried again. Unfortunately, they only offer an English and a Chinese version. I didn't look at them, but I suspect they probably only contain what you already have in the print version.

Are there any real-life people around you who could take a look at the manual for you and look up that feature?

Would you happen to know if there are dictionaries out there (besides JWPce, which I use all the time when I am at my computer) that would have this feature? I appreciate your patience and understanding.

I would dearly love to be more helpful, but I don't use dictionaries and I have no access to a G90 and, as I mentioned above, can't get at the manual online.

May I suggest that you make a post to sci.lang.japan (Usenet) asking this same question? I believe that may be your best chance at getting help with a more definitive answer.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Thu 11.02.2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cash

Postby catcomer » Thu 11.02.2006 9:04 am

Thanks for the help :)
catcomer

Postby clay » Thu 11.02.2006 9:17 am

...seems to lead you to believe that you can input kanji into the dictionary. You are in fact correct. However, this feature seems to be limited to just the kanji dictionary, and the Chinese dictionaries. I can only use the reading to search for words in the Japanese-Japanese dictionary, or the Japanese-English dictionary.

You can only draw kanji in the kanji (and Chinese) dictionary. However once you get there, you can highlight the kanji and tap it to 'jump' to the J-E (IF the kanji exists as a word in the J-E). If it doesn't exist as a word, you can hit the jukugo button to display kanji combinations starting with that kanji. Then highlight the characters and tap the screen to jump to the J-E.

I don't have a G90 here or its manual, but I remember with the V80 I had way back, I had to set up the kanji dictionary before drawing. They may have simplified it in the G90, but just in case here is a video I made setting it up:
http://www.thejapanshop.com/jisho/v80b.html
clay
Site Admin

Postby vega12 » Thu 11.02.2006 10:32 pm

Thanks for the help! I'll definately get one of my friends to check out the manual. I would've done it by now, but most my friends at work here are all graduate students so they don't have that much free time :) (for the record, I'm working in Japan right now, but have tons of friends who speak enough English so I can get by with no problems at all).

And yes I checked out that video, Clay, before I even purchased my dictionary. I also found your recommendations and comparison chart very helpful in deciding on the G90. As far as I can tell, the kanji input is the same between the V80 and G90. It's just disappointing when I am in the J-E dictionary, pull up the virtual keyboard, then click the 'あ' to try and change it to kanji mode, but it doesn't do anything :P
-Chris Locke
vega12

Postby Zounoko » Thu 11.02.2006 10:58 pm

My Canon Wordtank (IDF-3000), after years of faithful service, is going to fail sometime soon. The screen displays blacked-out (or sometimes "whited" out lines that crisscross and make things difficult to read.

So pretty soon I'm going to have to replace it, and I'm considering that Sharp model with the 100 contents. (Why does that phrase sound like Engrish to me?)

I have been trying to transition from J-E to kokugo as much as possible. And I love the idea of finally having a Japanese thesaurus in the palm of my hand. Also the price of the Sharp is really good. But I gotta admit, the J-E and E-J dictionaries in the Canon have absolutely spectacular example sentences that really increase my confidence when I'm trying to write.

So my question is, does the Sharp model have the fabulous example sentences like the Canon?

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips