Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Politeness

Politeness

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Politeness

Postby creativity » Sun 11.05.2006 7:11 pm

What level of politeness(sp?) should I start learning? Would it be considered ok for a foreigner to speak in a neutral way, rather than politely(sp?) to a japanese stranger? What is the japanese's general reaction to foreigners? Do they get offended easily?
Music is a lullaby to my broken heart
creativity

RE: Politeness

Postby paul_b » Sun 11.05.2006 7:19 pm

creativity wrote:
What level of politeness(sp?) should I start learning? Would it be considered ok for a foreigner to speak in a neutral way, rather than politely(sp?) to a japanese stranger? What is the japanese's general reaction to foreigners? Do they get offended easily?

Learn both at the same time but speak in ~masu form until you know enough to know when not to.
paul_b

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.05.2006 9:58 pm

Unfortunately there's no such thing as "neutral" politeness in Japanese. As a foreigner you can do almost anything you want, but if you do, you're relying on the "foreigner card" which can be bad depending on what you actually want to do in Japan.

It depends on how old you are and who you're talking to. In general you should start with -masu/desu forms when you first meet someone, and you should always use -masu/desu forms with people who are not your friends (or significantly younger than you).

But I think what Paul said is good advice.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby creativity » Mon 11.06.2006 3:31 pm

Ok, thank you :D
Music is a lullaby to my broken heart
creativity

Postby Tegyrius » Mon 11.06.2006 4:03 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:(or significantly younger than you).

don't you mean "or significantly older than you"?
Marcus
Tegyrius

Postby richvh » Mon 11.06.2006 4:15 pm

"You should always use -masu/desu forms with people who are not significantly older than you"... no, I don't think that's what he meant.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.06.2006 5:14 pm

I guess that was unclear -- I meant that if someone is significantly younger than you, you do not necessarily need to use -masu/desu forms with them. This is particularly true with people high school age or younger, and the younger they are, the stranger it sounds to use -masu/desu forms in speaking to them.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips