Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Postby Tsuchinoko » Wed 11.08.2006 12:03 am

if I've written down, and memorized what this site has on it?

Wouldn't this be an entire book, wrapped up?

http://thejapanesepage.com/hiraganacharts.htm
---
Beginning is easy - Continuing is hard. - Old Japanese Proverb
Tsuchinoko

RE: Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Postby chikara » Wed 11.08.2006 12:18 am

What is a book going to give you about hiragana that you can't obtain from this and other websites. A book may have one kana per page but other than that all you need is a kana chart. Do you mean something like a childrens picture book similar to the ones that native English speakers give their two year olds to teach them their alphabet?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.08.2006 2:49 am

I did buy a hiragana book early in my Japanese studies, but I decided it was a waste of money/time. It's really not that many characters. Just keep the chart handy for a couple of weeks and write out all of your vocabulary and dialogues, and you'll memorize it pretty quick.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby CajunCoder » Wed 11.08.2006 5:02 am

Honestly, I can't help but laugh at books solely for hiragana. You could have it down before you even recieve it in the mail.

All you really need to learn Hiragana are the tutorials on this site. Also, try writing and reading it, preferably in sentences (if your level of Japanese is good enough, at least. Even if its not, try writing words you know - this is a good way to practice both vocabulary and Hiragana at the same time).

Flashcards, or especially flash-card programs where you type the roumaji equivelant of a presented character may also be useful for getting a large number of characters in your short-term memory quickly.

I had Hiragana down (albeit, shakily) within a week. After that, you just have to use it as much as possible and become familiar with it.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Wed 11.08.2006 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.08.2006 8:39 am

Others may laugh, but I think it could be worth it. There's a big difference between just knowing what the individual symbols mean and actually being able to read them fluently -- if you feel like you might need a book, "Reading Japanese" is quite good for that. It also has kanji in it too, so it wouldn't be a book *just* for hiragana.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Wed 11.08.2006 10:08 am

I just sat and did the hiragana quiz on this site over and over until I got them all right ;D
It took about 5 hours I think.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 11.08.2006 12:34 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:There's a big difference between just knowing what the individual symbols mean and actually being able to read them fluently

This is nothing that reading practice won't cure quickly. It's no reason to buy a seperate book. :|
Schattenjedi

Postby Dehitay » Wed 11.08.2006 12:41 pm

I'm also gonna suggest not buying a book for hiragana or katakana. In my opinion, I think the 2 books you're gonna want to buy is a grammar book that teaches you Japanese grammar is a nice organized fashion, and a kanji learner's book which teaches you at least the 1945 Jouyou Kanji with stroke order, character meaning, readings, and example words that it's used in.

As for kana, I highly suggest just using a site.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.08.2006 5:20 pm

and a kanji learner's book which teaches you at least the 1945 Jouyou Kanji with stroke order, character meaning, readings, and example words that it's used in.

No example sentences, just words?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 11.08.2006 8:09 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
and a kanji learner's book which teaches you at least the 1945 Jouyou Kanji with stroke order, character meaning, readings, and example words that it's used in.

No example sentences, just words?

I have a book like that called "Kanji und (and) Kana 1" by Wolfgang Hadamitzky. It was great for looking up Kanji and learning radicals and stroke order. I have that book to thank for my now solid Kanji skills. However since then I have found a website that has everything that is in that book and more. Here it is for those who can speak German: http://www.bibiko.de/kanji/

There's no real need for example sentences in a Kanji book thanks to this website: http://www.alc.co.jp/
Schattenjedi

Postby mamba » Wed 11.08.2006 8:25 pm

I make my own book. I have a notebook of lyrics. I have tons of Japanese songs which I look up lyrics for. Once I find the lyrics (usually from animelyrics.com because they are all in romaji) I translate and write it down all in hiragana. Listen to the music again, and follow along. It helps A LOT, especially to fast JPOP or rap songs and lyrics.
mamba

Postby chobo2 » Wed 11.08.2006 8:45 pm

If your going to get a book don't buy it go to your local library I used a book I found there called

"Remembering the hiragana : a complete course on how to teach yourself the Japanese syllabary in 3 hours." by Heisig, James W., 1944

I used that and this site(mainly for its audio files on how the sound should be said) but be warned though when you are using this site some of the ones use the characters made for the computer and are written differently when written on paper.

I think it is only 2 ki & sa

This chart seems to have how they are written the way you would write it on paper.

http://www.genki-online.com/kyozai/hiragana.html
chobo2

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.08.2006 10:26 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:

There's no real need for example sentences in a Kanji book thanks to this website: http://www.alc.co.jp/

That's not really organized enough for study use. Nobody can learn to read Japanese just by studying individual characters or words, you have to do actual reading practice. There are excellent books out there (Reading Japanese, Basic Kanji Book v1/2, Kanji in Context) that have a lot of it.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 11.08.2006 11:43 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

That's not really organized enough for study use. Nobody can learn to read Japanese just by studying individual characters or words, you have to do actual reading practice. There are excellent books out there (Reading Japanese, Basic Kanji Book v1/2, Kanji in Context) that have a lot of it.

So you're talking about reading practice rather than just example sentences? If so, I agree.
Schattenjedi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 11.09.2006 12:06 am

Well, yeah. By "example sentences" I meant sentences that were meant to build your reading fluency -- I guess "example" is kind of a bad word to use there.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips