Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Would it be worth it to buy a book for Hiragana-

Postby the_haunted_boy » Sat 11.11.2006 12:08 am

no
the_haunted_boy

Postby CajunCoder » Sat 11.11.2006 12:05 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Well, yeah. By "example sentences" I meant sentences that were meant to build your reading fluency -- I guess "example" is kind of a bad word to use there.

Rather than trying to "fake" that with a book, I usually just read various things that interest me in Japanese - I find this much better, as its a more interesting and realistic way of studying, and you tend to learn vocabulary and kanji related to (or useful when talking about) subjects of your interest.

I just use ALC and various online/computer dictionaries for the most part.
CajunCoder

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 11.11.2006 12:15 pm

That's important too, but you have to raise yourself to a certain level before you can really make use of native materials. My general recommendation would be to mix textbook material with native material, increasing the proportion of native material as you increase your reading ability (until eventually in theory you are using only native material). It depends a lot on your interest and learning style, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby kanadajin » Sat 11.11.2006 12:45 pm

I think you should download the Kana program on this site :D I learned Hiragana in a week or so studying like 5-10 minutes a day
kanadajin

Postby chiisu321 » Sat 11.11.2006 5:51 pm

I learned simply by memorizing the chart often shown.
a i u e o
ka ki ku ke ko
etc.
I'd say a kana book would be worthless. You can easily learn hiragana and katakana without one. A book i would recommned though is 'A Guide to Kanji & Kana'
I bought this after i already knew the hiragana and katakana, however. It is a good review book for kana, but also has about 750 kanji. I've found it to be very effective.
chiisu321

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips