Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - After Genki?

After Genki?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

After Genki?

Postby chocobill » Fri 11.10.2006 1:03 am

I've just finished book 2 of the Genki series and I know about the first 500 kanji from Henshall's Guide to Remembering the Japanese Characters. I was wondering what would be some good learning material to get now.
chocobill

RE: After Genki?

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 11.10.2006 1:13 am

"An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" by the Japan Times.
Schattenjedi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 11.10.2006 1:28 am

I would also recommend that book, and I suggest ditching Henshall and picking up Basic Kanji Book volume 2 to supplement (or volume 1 if you think your kanji ability is weak -- only 250 are covered in volume 1.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby chocobill » Fri 11.10.2006 2:00 am

I was wondering how "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" compares to the Genki series. Thanks.
chocobill

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 11.10.2006 2:07 am

chocobill wrote:
I was wondering how "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" compares to the Genki series. Thanks.

It's similar, but it takes things to a new level. The emphasis is placed on improving reading ability. The grammar explanations and overall structure of the book are similar to Genki and I think that's a positive thing.
Schattenjedi

Postby skrhgh3b » Wed 11.15.2006 5:44 pm

I hate An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese with a passion. If you do use it, definitely supplement your kanji studies with something else. The way it approaches kanji is my single biggest complaint about that textbook. It's not especially engaging as a reader either, and it's grammer explanations are often lacking as well.
For an entertaining reader, I would recommend Janet Ashby's "Read Real Japanese" published by Kodansha. You could probably find it at your local bookstore too. It's a collection of short essays by well-known contemporary Japanese writers (like Banana Yoshimoto, Haruki Murakami, and even Ryuichi Sakamoto), and as such is infinitely more engaging.
Last edited by skrhgh3b on Wed 11.15.2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby adorkablekristy » Wed 11.15.2006 6:12 pm

a question of mine was also answered.

adorkablekristy

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 01.04.2008 9:59 am

Bump.

I would like to ask if there are some other recommended intermediate level-textbooks available than "An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese". It seems to be out of print in most places. I have book for kanji but I'm missing a textbook to take things further...
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby mps » Sat 01.05.2008 4:00 am

I like "Intermediate Japanese for University Students" by Hiroyoshi Noto. Warning: This hard-core book is a big step up in intensity from Genki. Use it only if you're really serious about studying hard (His hard-to-find first year book, "Communicating in Japanese" is also useful to have as well. You can probably get a copy by calling the University of Chicago Seminary Coop bookstore at 773-752-4381 and asking for it from the textbook section).
mps

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips