Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Canon G/V90 vs. G70

Canon G/V90 vs. G70

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Canon G/V90 vs. G70

Postby ebidebi » Wed 11.15.2006 3:48 pm

I've been studying Japanese for about 5 years and have just graduated from college. I am nowhere near fluent, but I've done a little interpreting work and am currently trying to get into international business with a Japanese company in America. I'm continuing my Japanese study on my own, and plan to attend graduate school after a year or so of working.

I've had a Canon IDX-9700 for several years and just loved it, but it's pretty old and has become flaky, so I'd really like a new one.

I've been debating for a while now over which Canon WordTank to get, since I have been happy with Canon in the past. I REALLY like that the V90 has stylus kanji input, but I also would like to have the Kenkyusha dictionary of the G70.

So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the pros and cons of either, or if anyone has a recommendation from another brand. I've also looked at Seiko and Casio. I heard that Seiko's models have backlighting and the Kenkyusha dictionary that I want, but again, I really like the idea of stylus input.

Also, is there any difference between the Canon G90 and V90, other than that the V has MP3 sound for Chinese and English? The V90 is much more expensive, and I'd like to stay around USD 300-350 as far as price. The G70 is really, really expensive, if my understanding is correct...
Last edited by ebidebi on Wed 11.15.2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebidebi

RE: Canon G/V90 vs. G70

Postby clay » Wed 11.15.2006 4:21 pm

>> Canon IDX-9700

Ah, なつかしい

If you are doing any translation work at all, I'd go for the G70 (or E10000). It is expensive, but the dictionaries installed are well worth it.

I am not sure if the stylus is a big selling point for non-beginners. I used a V80 for several months while on my last trip to Japan and found myself typing far more than using the stylus. It is only marginally faster drawing an unknown kanji in the kanji dictionary than looking it up by stroke count and radicals (if you know a little of what you are doing). I'd say unless you feel like you will spend a lot of time looking up unknown kanji, the stylus isn't as great as it sounds. Yes, it is much faster to highlight a word with the stylus and tap the screen, but I think if you are just turning it on for a single word lookup (most of my usage), the time it takes to pull out the stylus evens up the typing & using the arrow keys.

Recently I paired up a G70 and a Seiko SR-E10000. Although I have always favored Canon models, I have chosen the E10000 for two main reasons.
1) Backlighting - I didn't think I would use this as much as I do. If you plan on using it in a room with poor lighting or at night, the backlighting is awesome. Trying to tilt the screen in favor of a sliver of moonlight is annoying to say the least!
2) it is faster. The E10000 and G70 start up about the same time, but you can start typing on the E10000 while the opening screen is loading. But more importantly, after typing in a search word and hitting 'enter' the E10000 displayed results MUCH faster than the G70. It reminded me how I had to wait SECONDS for results on the old IDX-9500. Again なつかしい

I don't think there is much difference between the G90 and V90 other than the 'V' Voice for Chinese (not Japanese).

Any choice you make, you will be pleasantly surprised with the increase in speed from your old Wordtank.
Last edited by clay on Wed 11.15.2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby ebidebi » Wed 11.15.2006 5:04 pm

Thanks for the very helpful response! What you're saying makes a lot of sense. The benefits of a better dictionary really would outweigh those of the stylus input. Also, while searching Amazon Japan, I see that the reveiws of the G/V90 say that the screen is dark and hard to see in less than optimal lighting.

I'm looking into the G70 and the Seiko SR-E10000 now. There is a Seiko SR-E8000FR on eBay for $319, which sort of interests me because I studied French for 5 years before Japanese, but I really doubt I would use it. Plus, the SR-E10000 has better dictionaries. Now, to find a good price...

Ahhh, the Canon IDX-9700 was my best friend for many years...my friends used to be so jealous of the huge text display! And when we were bored, we loved to try to use the Korean travel phrases.
ebidebi

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.15.2006 5:09 pm

Clay definately knows his wordtanks.. I have not met anyone with a broader base of knowledge on the issue either.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Wed 11.15.2006 7:01 pm

The V80, V90 and G90 screens are not as sharp as other models, but they are decent if you have good eyes and good lighting. Personally, I tend to use the dictionaries in my dark corner desk and my eyes aren't what they were even five years ago.

You can buy the E10000 now and purchase a French add on card later for $80-100 (US). In fact, I think that E8000FR model is just a E8000 with the French SD card in it. The F-E-F is pretty basic, but the Japanese-French-Japanese is pretty good. I just looked that up for a customer :)
clay
Site Admin

Postby ebidebi » Tue 11.21.2006 12:33 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I decided to go with the SR-E10000. Now, I'm just deciding where to get it. It's going to be about the same price wherever I go (except for Amazon.co.jp...cheaper, but my most trusted friend in Japan is currently in India so I have no good "middleman"), so it doesn't really matter.

Has anyone used Aiko Trading Company? I looked them up on the BBB and saw that there have been unresolved complaints, so I think I may go with ebay. The price difference is only about $20 (since I plan on getting a case as well).

EDIT: Aaaand now I see that TheJapanShop.com seems like my best option. One more question, though - which case would be best?
Last edited by ebidebi on Tue 11.21.2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebidebi

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips