Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tutor? Friend?

Tutor? Friend?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Tutor? Friend?

Postby Kisshu » Fri 11.17.2006 8:11 pm

Hiya! I am using the Genki:An intergrated course in Elementary Japanese textbook at home right now. In the area where I live, there is no where that I can learn Japanese in a class room. This has obviously had it's drawbacks >.< When I met a bunch of Japanes foreign exchange student last year, I realized how much my conversational skills lack. Let's just say that they were less that perfect. A LOTTTT less.

I have considered getting a tutor for a while now. I haven't looked into any available tutors in my area so I have no idea what is provided. There is a Japanese foreign exchange student at my school which my dad suggested that could help me. But I am not sure about this. Does anyone know if it is a good idea to hire a "pretty" close friend to be your tutor? And how many days a week do you suggest taking lessons?

Also, does anyone know of a good site where I could research tutors in my area? (Minnesota)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

RE: Tutor? Friend?

Postby Dehitay » Fri 11.17.2006 8:42 pm

I don't think your dad was suggesting you pay the exchange student to teach you. Just be friendly and ask them to help you learn Japanese and offer to help them with English.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Fri 11.17.2006 8:47 pm

No no.. that is not it.. one of my good friends from school is from Japan and she is studying here for a year.. my dad suggested the other day that I could pay her to help me with my pronounciation and conversational skills.. we haven't asked her yet because we aren't sure if it is a good idea
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby mamba » Fri 11.17.2006 9:38 pm

"my dad suggested the other day that I could pay her to help me with my pronounciation and conversational skills..."

Thats weird, why not just talk to her and be better than good friends. You can just ask her if its ok to help you practice your Japanese, and at the same time strengthen your relationship as friends, its a win/win with no money involved.

"hire a 'pretty' close friend to be your tutor?" I dunno about you but for me, id be pretty offended if i was asked to be hired by my own close friends to just help them study.
mamba

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 11.17.2006 9:49 pm

As for tutoring,I'd say you should ask hoping it is a friendly gesture first. You should offer money mabye if she says no. If she did say no though, you should probably say something like "oh, cause i was going to pay you as a tutor."
That way free is your first option and paying is your second.
No point paying for something you could have gotten for free, right?

As for her being pretty, would you rather have an ugly tutor?
If you're saying something might happen between you, or you like her or something..........so? Sounds like a plus to me. B)
And with what mamba said, I don't think she'd be offended as long as you don't make it seem as if something more then studying is going to happen. :|
chiisu321

Postby ashitaka » Fri 11.17.2006 9:59 pm

"hire a 'pretty' close friend to be your tutor?" I dunno about you but for me, id be pretty offended if i was asked to be hired by my own close friends to just help them study.

I would be a bit offended too, just ask to help eachother practice the languages.
ashitaka

Postby tanuki » Fri 11.17.2006 10:12 pm

chiisu321 wrote:
If you're saying something might happen between you, or you like

I think you are misunderstanding. I think Kisshu meant "a quite/rather/considerably close friend". Besides, Kisshu is a female (I think). Not that females can't like females, but...
Last edited by tanuki on Fri 11.17.2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 11.17.2006 10:47 pm

tanuki wrote:
chiisu321 wrote:
If you're saying something might happen between you, or you like

I think you are misunderstanding. I think Kisshu meant "a quite/rather/considerably close friend". Besides, Kisshu is a female (I think). Not that females can't like females, but...

Then I don't get it at all. x____________x
>_< Forget what I said about the pretty part and just go with asking to do friendly language exhange.
chiisu321

Postby Kisshu » Fri 11.17.2006 11:01 pm

yes I am a female... and i meant pretty as in close... XDDD Nooooooo i like guys... definately... thanks tanuki lolz
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Postby hikari_01 » Fri 11.17.2006 11:55 pm

yeah, i would just try to become better friends with the exchange student & ask her if you can practice speaking japanese with her.

last year my boyfriend got a japanese exchange student & i got to be pretty good friends with her. she was always so happy & excited to help us with japanese. she was very patient & so flattered we were trying to learn her language. give it a try! :)
hikari_01

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.18.2006 1:04 am

ashitaka wrote:

I would be a bit offended too, just ask to help eachother practice the languages.

Wow, I'd be offended if a friend asked for my help on that scale and didn't offer to recompense my time. Teaching a language is a major commitment, so expecting a friend to commit hours a week to your benefit without compensation is pretty contemptable.

Even if I was asking a friend to help me move some furnature from my old house to my new one, I'd offer beer or dinner or something. The friend might refuse, but I'd still make the offer to show my appreciation.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 11.18.2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby mamba » Sat 11.18.2006 1:34 am

Yeah but this is different. Its not grammer, vocabulary, or writing Kisshu-san needs help in - she has her Genki book for that. Like she said, she needs to improve her communication skills, listening/speaking. They do go to the same school, so why couldn't they just force some kind of japanese-only-chat during their lunch periods, or hang out during the weekends. Her friend isnt really "teaching" the language from the basics. Remember, this is an exchange student, not a Japanese teacher. Most grammer-asked-questions would mostly likely to be responded with "i dunno, we just do." Its just conversational, go to the mall, talk during your free time/lunch periods.

Its also different from what is being requested. Physical labor, yes its only polite to offer them some drinks and snacks. But someone asking for your help because they are learning your language and culture is sometihng very different(emotionally?). Im Filipino, if someone asked me to help them with their speaking Id be sooo happy to help them. If a foreigner showed you some money and asked you to help them with their English, wouldnt you feel ashame? Almost embarrased? I mean this person, has the time and dedication to study your language and culture, shouldnt that be enough??
Last edited by mamba on Sat 11.18.2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamba

Postby Infidel » Sat 11.18.2006 2:14 am

If a foreigner showed you some money and asked you to help them with their English, wouldnt you feel ashame? Almost embarrased? I mean this person, has the time and dedication to study your language and culture, shouldnt that be enough??

No.

Everyone's most precious commodity is time. Just about everything else in life if you lose it, you can get another, but not with time. Once it's gone it's gone forever.

I would however be ashamed to be associated with a human parasite that believes desires engender obligation. So what if someone has time and dedication, that doesn't mean I have the time and dedication for their benefit. I have my own life my own projects that require time and dedication. How dare someone claim that their life is more important than mine by imposing themselves like that. This is not the behavior of a friend, it's the behavior of a street bum. Give me money, because I want it any you have it. Isn't that enough?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby mamba » Sat 11.18.2006 9:09 am

Well i guess its just a matter of personality then. I myself tutor and help those in need of help. Through my 4 years in high school, 3 days a week after school, I went elementary school and help young kids about computers, word, paint, etc, to help introduce them to the every rapidly growing technology society. Not only that, i dedicated my time also to help elders, i teach them how to use a mouse, point and click, to help them play "catch up" to this technological era. The organization i was in was featured in the newspapers, with a big picture of me covering nearly half the page.

Right now in my 1st semester of college, i still help people. In my Japanese class, i help tutor this person whose only free time is on Tuesday mornings about 9am. I go every Tuesday morning to help him - despite the fact that my only 1 class is at 4pm.

Does he know? No. What happend if he did? He'd probably be like you, "Im sorry for wasting your time, you shouldn't have to wake up 7 hours earlier just for me." And for me.. I wouldnt be able to live with that.
mamba

Postby Kisshu » Sat 11.18.2006 3:28 pm

Holy crap.. i didn't mean for this to be a full blown argument.. she helps me with Japanese at school between classes sometimes because she has told me she hasn't met any other Japanese speakers and she feels honored to have someone want to learn the language. I was gonna ask her to come over to my house and help me with conversational skills and stuff and PAY HER FOR HER TIME. Jeez. Like an hour or two a week. I was just wondering if it was a good thing to ask a friend to tutor bacuase I was wondering how serious it would be for studying.. yikes.. no need to get all upity.
ラブラブ!!<3
Kisshu

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips