Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tutor? Friend?

Tutor? Friend?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Tutor? Friend?

Postby Kisshu » Sat 11.18.2006 3:28 pm

Holy crap.. i didn't mean for this to be a full blown argument.. she helps me with Japanese at school between classes sometimes because she has told me she hasn't met any other Japanese speakers and she feels honored to have someone want to learn the language. I was gonna ask her to come over to my house and help me with conversational skills and stuff and PAY HER FOR HER TIME. Jeez. Like an hour or two a week. I was just wondering if it was a good thing to ask a friend to tutor bacuase I was wondering how serious it would be for studying.. yikes.. no need to get all upity.
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 11.18.2006 4:12 pm

Native speaker tutors with no teaching training have both advantages and drawbacks. They probably will not be of much help in explaining grammar -- they can tell you where you're going wrong but they probably won't be able explain why. They also typically do not have a good conception for what is "basic" Japanese and what is not; for instance, since native speakers speak plain form when they're kids and only learn to use the -masu forms later, some native speakers will consider -masu forms to be an intermediate-level topic, when most books treat it as the base form.

On the other hand, they provide what you can't get from anybody else -- the chance to speak with a native speaker of the language you're studying and to use what you're learning in a real context.

As for the issue of payment, I think it depends. If you normally eat lunch together and you just ask "hey, let's speak Japanese every so often" I don't think you need to pay her for that. But if she's actually coming over to your house and using up her time, then maybe some compensation should be made. It's a tough issue when the person is a friend, though.

One other issue you need to think about is what you want to get out of these sessions -- do you just want to practice speaking and getting your meaning across, or do you want her to be correcting you every time you do something wrong? The latter requires more active effort on her part. You also have to be careful that she doesn't fall into the trap that some tutors (not just Japanese) do, which is undercorrection; i.e. telling you that something unnatural or wrong is OK out of a desire not to discourage you (among other possible reasons).
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Sat 11.18.2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 11.18.2006 4:21 pm

First of all, I don't know why people find it so hard to ask someone.. You don't need our permission or our support for that.

As for being offended. Each person is different. Some would be offended if you did offer money and some would be offended if you did offer money. Some would be offended if you offered too much or too little. You have nothing to lose but to ask and see what happens.

Your exchange student does not need to be a credited or trained teacher in order to help you.

Also, to reply to the uppity stuff.. What else do you expect, you asked for our opinions and you got them. If that bothers you, maybe next time just do what you feel is best and then you won't have to worry.

quite honestly, what's the worst that could happen? you ask them and they say no and then what? you are no worse off than you were before.. The saying that comes to mind here is ... Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.

Besides a friend won't get offended at you, unless they really aren't a friend.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Kisshu » Sat 11.18.2006 4:46 pm

Thanks Yudan Taiteki... exactly the info I wanted! :D
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips