Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Newbie here, can anyone help me out?

Newbie here, can anyone help me out?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Newbie here, can anyone help me out?

Postby Kodama_30 » Wed 11.22.2006 7:00 pm

Hi people
Have just started learning the Japanese language recently, and came across this great site. Its been very helpful as you would imagine ;). I've bought the Teach yourself Beginner's Japanese language and script books and in conjunction with the site I feel I've got some of the basics down.

However the Japanese Script book only really covers gana and some Kanji which you can imagine isn't much help to me if I want to write a full sentence :|

Anyway this is where you helpful guys and gals come in, could you recommed me a good book/site/other that would help me in reading/writing Japanese. I want to focus more on the reading/writing aspect of the language. as I don't think I will have much opportunity to practise speaking in my normal everyday life.

I've also checked Tai Kim's guide already, before any one suggests it. It seems a bit long winded and complex for my very basic ability. I will refer to it later though once I get more advance.

Any sugestions are very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Kodama_30

RE: Newbie here, can anyone help me out?

Postby punkgrl326 » Wed 11.22.2006 7:03 pm

Tae Kim too advanced? That was the first grammar site I started with! Well, if it is too advanced you can check out TJP's Grammar Page :)
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Kodama_30 » Wed 11.22.2006 7:22 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:
Tae Kim too advanced? That was the first grammar site I started with! Well, if it is too advanced you can check out TJP's Grammar Page :)

Thank you very much for the quick reply, I'll definitely check up on the grammar page you suggested. Tae Kim's site did look very helpful, but it seemed very hard to follow for me personally. Although Im not the 'sharpest knife in the draw' in all honesty.

Is there any books you can recommend at all? for some strange reason I seem to be able to learn from them much more so than any other medium. With Christmas coming up also, I don't think it would be a problem asking for one as a present; although it would be funny to see my parents faces when I ask for a book, a farcry from the usual. :p
Last edited by Kodama_30 on Wed 11.22.2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodama_30

Postby chikara » Wed 11.22.2006 7:31 pm

Kodama_30 wrote:
....Is there any books you can recommend at all?......

Have a read of Selecting a Japanese Textbook in the wiki.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 11.22.2006 7:59 pm

Kodama_30 wrote:
However the Japanese Script book only really covers gana and some Kanji which you can imagine isn't much help to me if I want to write a full sentence

It's kana. Not gana.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips