Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tips On Remembering Words

Tips On Remembering Words

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Tips On Remembering Words

Postby chobo2 » Fri 11.24.2006 6:51 pm

Hi

So I been studying with my friend for the last month(once a week 2hours lessons). In this time we got over from the textbook and stuff. So I just did a word count of my flash cards and I have 75 words I should know(plus last week material what I am still learning so that should be another 20+ words)

I am however having problems remembering some of these words. I did not know how write 14 out of the 75 I should know. These are just giving me such a hard time and it seems it does not matter what I do I can't get them to stick.

I write them like a hundred times out and I remember it then the next I don't do Japanese since I am all day in school then I come back the day after that and I can't remember the word anymore.

Usually when I learn a word I try to use it in every sentence I can like say if I am talking to my friend and instead of saying in english "do you understand?" I would go
わかりますか so I could start remembering them. But this does not even work because I can't keep them in my memory that long till I get a chance to use them.

So any tips on how I can get these words to stick?

here they are:

1. しずか にして ください // can't remember しずか にして(lots of my words in one week used ください so it stuck.
2.よく でけました
3. おおきい こえで いって ください
4. わすって ください
5. たって ください // I keep writting sit as stand and stand as sit.
6. いいおてんき です ねえ // forget the いい
7.わすれました // I forget, I forgot
8. みすを のんでも いいですか
9. といれ いっても いいですか // usually forget いっても 

these ones here I usually forget a character or add a character not needed

10. みて ください // usually add みすて
11.__ は にほんご で なんと いいません // usally foget the で  & ません
12. すみません しもんが ありません // forget the が worst case I forget ありません
13. どうぞ よろしく // forget the ど
14. むしあつい です ねえ // forget the つ
chobo2

RE: Tips On Remembering Words

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 11.24.2006 7:02 pm

One problem may be that you don't understand the structure of the phrase. You shouldn't just be memorizing いいてんきですねえ as "nice weather" without understanding the function of the individual words in the sentence and how the sentence is constructed. For instance, you should know in that sentence which word you would have to substitute to make it "bad weather" or "good person" (even if you don't necessarily know those words).
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 11.25.2006 4:21 am

Insert the words into the English that comprises your internal thoughts. Do that enough and they'll just become synonyms to you, and not foreign words.
Mike Cash

Postby chobo2 » Sun 11.26.2006 1:55 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
One problem may be that you don't understand the structure of the phrase. You shouldn't just be memorizing いいてんきですねえ as "nice weather" without understanding the function of the individual words in the sentence and how the sentence is constructed. For instance, you should know in that sentence which word you would have to substitute to make it "bad weather" or "good person" (even if you don't necessarily know those words).

I see what you mean the book sometimes breaks down the sentence and says what each word means indivually but not always. I can see that may help but not always but I will try it on the words I have and see if that helps but of course not all words can really be broken down.

Insert the words into the English that comprises your internal thoughts. Do that enough and they'll just become synonyms to you, and not foreign words.

I not a 100% sure what your saying but do you mean try to subsitute the words into my everyday english?
chobo2

Postby Infidel » Sun 11.26.2006 2:13 am

I write them like a hundred times out and I remember it then the next I don't do Japanese since I am all day in school then I come

I've said it before. You'll remember a word better if you write it once a day, for 10 days, than if you write it 100 times in one day.

Try to keep your study sessions only 20 minutes long. After that, the brain needs a break to absorb whan you learned. It's just like going on a diet. Lots of small meals is more effective than a few big meals.

There is; however, no substitute for the need to communicate. If you find yourself in a situation where you really need to use one of your vocabulary words to be understood, you will remember that word very clearly.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 11.26.2006 3:29 am

Mike Cash wrote:

do that

and honestly you need to apply it to real life. Buy exercise books and practice. I personally cant retain anything until I use it in a sentence or see examples.
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.26.2006 4:19 am

chobo2 wrote:

I not a 100% sure what your saying but do you mean try to subsitute the words into my everyday english?

Exactly. Just not so much into your spoken everyday English. People will think you're nuts. Do it in your head. Unless there are other people in there with you who will be annoyed by it.
Mike Cash

Postby Mr Hensha » Sun 11.26.2006 4:39 am

I speak half Japanese and half English with my parents and friends. They are annoyed, but they pick up on stuff. Nobody can talk to me in person without learning new Japanese words.

I kind of just think of foreign languages as dialects more or less of the human race.... it's what it seems like, especially with European languages.

Don't know, the people in my head pick it up rather well, so they're not annoyed by any of it.
AAWEEEAA!! この世界は私達の世界〜SOHL
ミヤビです!
Mr Hensha

Postby chobo2 » Sun 11.26.2006 9:04 pm

Infidel wrote:
I write them like a hundred times out and I remember it then the next I don't do Japanese since I am all day in school then I come

I've said it before. You'll remember a word better if you write it once a day, for 10 days, than if you write it 100 times in one day.

Try to keep your study sessions only 20 minutes long. After that, the brain needs a break to absorb whan you learned. It's just like going on a diet. Lots of small meals is more effective than a few big meals.

There is; however, no substitute for the need to communicate. If you find yourself in a situation where you really need to use one of your vocabulary words to be understood, you will remember that word very clearly.

Well I always go back and review every single one everyday. I first write the new words on flash cards then study them and put them with the rest. Go through all my flash cards sorting the ones I know and the ones I don't know. After I go over the pile I did not know.

I will try to do it in 20min a shift but I need about at least a hour to a hour and half to to review all the words and study the new words

Of course I am starting to get a lot of words like I said in my orignal post I have learnt 75 words plus last weeks what I am still currently learning so that means I almost learnt 95 words so soon I am going to have to retire some of the old words otherwise I will be just reviewing for a hour and a half straight without learning the new words. But I prob will get rid of the oldest since some of them I been reviewing for like 4 weeks so I should have them in my head by now.

chobo2 wrote:

Exactly. Just not so much into your spoken everyday English. People will think you're nuts. Do it in your head. Unless there are other people in there with you who will be annoyed by it.

Ya I see what you mean when I talk online to my Japanese friend everytime there is a word I know in japanese that I can sub in for english I do this. Of course this only helps for the writting but I find this helps me burn the words in my memory and I almost can see myself writting it and therefore making it easier to say and write.

When I walk to school I usually repeat the words outloud(almost a mutter) so I can get a chance to say them and stuff(ppl who walk by me must think I am nuts lol). I will try to do that the next time I talk to people and think how I would say it in Japanese.
chobo2

Postby Infidel » Sun 11.26.2006 9:09 pm

Well I always go back and review every single one everyday.

I didn't advise you to. You should only review words you don't know very well. If you know words well, then the review should be very fast.

It might help to divide your review into different categories. Daily, weekly, monthly, and known.

Once you start knowing a word when you review it, move it into the next pile. Then review it a week later, if you still don't know it well keep it, otherwise move it into the monthly pile and wait a month to review it.
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 11.26.2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby chobo2 » Mon 11.27.2006 3:54 am

Infidel wrote:
Well I always go back and review every single one everyday.

I didn't advise you to. You should only review words you don't know very well. If you know words well, then the review should be very fast.

It might help to divide your review into different categories. Daily, weekly, monthly, and known.

Once you start knowing a word when you review it, move it into the next pile. Then review it a week later, if you still don't know it well keep it, otherwise move it into the monthly pile and wait a month to review it.

Hmm that is not a bad idea I think I am going to do that.

Also I know you did not advise me to go through all of them everyday it is what I just did. But I like this monthly and weekly thing.

Like what would be a good way to measure when to move it too the next pile? like if I get it a couple days in a row? Like sometimes I may know a word one day then the next I might have forgotten it so I can't just move it from the daily pile to weekly pile after I get it once right.

Also review still takes me a while I am slow at writting trying to make it neat and stuff.
chobo2

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.27.2006 3:35 pm

i was once told this.. review 10 new words once an hour for a day. then review those same 10 words once a day for a week, and once a week for a month and once a month for a year. you will most likely not forget them after that.

also, if you do this constantly, you will reviewing new words at the same time.. each day you add 10 more words to your list.. although my vocabulary has over time, degenerated to a mere speck compared to what i knew while doing this, i still can remember that aprox 1000 words i did this practice with..
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Mon 11.27.2006 6:45 pm

what two heads said. :D

8 hours
7 days
4 weeks
12 months
= 31 Times

You are doing much less work than 100 times a day, you are spending less time, and you are remembering so much better.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby Zounoko » Mon 11.27.2006 7:10 pm

I haven't seen this recommendation, so I'll add it:

There are excellent flashcard programs that manage timed reviews for you. Two free ones are Memorylifter (http://www.memorylifter.com/) and another is Wakan (http://wakan.manga.cz/). There are other ones you can pay for, including Vtrain (http://www.paul-raedle.de/vtrain/) and Stackz (http://www.stackz.com/Stackz/stz.htm).

Of course, if you don't spend much of your life in front of the computer, then practicing vocabulary that way may not be of interest. And unfortunately, I haven't found a program that has really great pre-built cardsets. So you need to factor in the time to enter your own cards, which may be more trouble than you want to put in. (I look at it as part of the learning process, so it doesn't bother me.)

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 11.27.2006 8:08 pm

75 words? well, the good news is that things will eventually get easier and not harder as you learn more and more. i'm finding that kanji--as intimidating as they may be--are actually helping me remember new vocabulary.

but you'll forget any vocabulary if you don't reinforce it. the trick, of course, is moving it from your short term memory to your long term memory. and to do that, you have to try to read, write, listen, and speak japanese as much as possible in your daily life. try making japanese pen pals, if not japanese friends, and start listening to japanese music and watching japanese tv. make it a daily part of your life.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips