Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tips On Remembering Words

Tips On Remembering Words

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Tips On Remembering Words

Postby chobo2 » Wed 11.29.2006 2:02 am

i was once told this.. review 10 new words once an hour for a day. then review those same 10 words once a day for a week, and once a week for a month and once a month for a year. you will most likely not forget them after that.

also, if you do this constantly, you will reviewing new words at the same time.. each day you add 10 more words to your list.. although my vocabulary has over time, degenerated to a mere speck compared to what i knew while doing this, i still can remember that aprox 1000 words i did this practice with..

Infidel wrote:
what two heads said. :D

8 hours
7 days
4 weeks
12 months
= 31 Times

You are doing much less work than 100 times a day, you are spending less time, and you are remembering so much better.

Hmm sounds good I am going to try that with next weeks words.

I just have some questions for the both of you since it seems you guys did/or do this still.

1. You say that you study 10words a day for 8.
Do these hours have to be consecutive?
2. You say you can add on 10 a day.
Do these new word get mixed with the previous day ones?
If so then say you have your first day you have 10 words(you will do these for 7 days) but then you add the next day you add 10 more but then these would only have 6 days.
How do you keep track of your piles? Like I can imagine there will be maybe piles going at different times so what tips do you have for keeping track of the piles? Calling them pile a,b and then writing when they should be reviewed(this is more when it get into the months and year part)

Those are all I got for now. Maybe a sample walk through will help me understand all the details of how this would work
chobo2

Postby CajunCoder » Wed 11.29.2006 4:17 am

Nothing contributes to memorising a word better than actually using it. Use Japanese as much as possible. Make up tons of random sentences, maybe even a simply story if you can.

I also found that, before I was familiar with Japanese grammar, using Japanese words in English sentences to learn through context to be both amusing and effective.
CajunCoder

Postby Infidel » Sat 12.02.2006 4:17 am

1. You say that you study 10words a day for 8.
Do these hours have to be consecutive?
2. You say you can add on 10 a day.
Do these new word get mixed with the previous day ones?
If so then say you have your first day you have 10 words(you will do these for 7 days) but then you add the next day you add 10 more but then these would only have 6 days.
How do you keep track of your piles? Like I can imagine there will be maybe piles going at different times so what tips do you have for keeping track of the piles? Calling them pile a,b and then writing when they should be reviewed(this is more when it get into the months and year part)

You're overcomplicating the process.

All you do is create 4 Piles. hourly, daily, weekly and monthly.

You do the hourly ones every time you have the opportunity, but no more often than once an hour. When a word becomes easy, you transfer it to the next pile. The whole point of the piles is to stop wasting time over known words. Once you can identify the word by seeing the definition, and know the definition when seeing the word, move it to the next pile.

Some words will go directly to the next pile on the second try. Others might stay longer. But this method focuses your studytime on the difficult words. The process is a general guideline, not a rule that must be followed exactly.

If you find a word easy, by all means, move it on to the next pile. You don't have to keep it in the hourly pile because it hasn't been reviewed 8 times. Nor do you need to move a card into the next pile because you've already reviewed it 8 times. If a word proves difficult, by all means, keep it in a lower pile.

You don't really need a yearly pile, because by the time a card moves into yearly, you've already got the word stuck in long term memory. Normal use from then on should be enough to keep them in mind.
Last edited by Infidel on Sat 12.02.2006 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips