Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this a good way to learn Japanese??

Is this a good way to learn Japanese??

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Is this a good way to learn Japanese??

Postby Kagami » Wed 11.29.2006 7:32 pm

I went on to Barnes&Noble and I found an English - Japanese dictionary, and it's a picture book!
Click here for the book.
So would that be a good way to learn some words??
Kagami

RE: Is this a good way to learn Japanese??

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 11.29.2006 7:36 pm

Kagami wrote:
So would that be a good way to learn some words??

Yes.
Schattenjedi

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.29.2006 7:37 pm

hehe, I never saw that at B&N, but I did pick one up from a used bookstore a while back.

I wouldn't recommend this for learning on your own. This is better for a parent or teacher to go through with the student/child. The main problem with it is that the meaning is not always clear, so you might think a word means something it doesnt.

It's like seeing a picture of an orangutain holding a glass of water. Does the word mean "thirsty" "water" "glass" "orangutane" or "drink"
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 11.29.2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kagami » Wed 11.29.2006 7:41 pm

*orders*
Kagami

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.29.2006 8:28 pm

Also you're not really learning the words in context -- I think your retention rate would be low.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 11.29.2006 8:49 pm

So, if I were to go to a bookstore, what would be a good book to get to hone my Japanese skills and expand my vocabulary/grammar knowledge?
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.29.2006 8:49 pm

do you already have a standard textbook? That should be the very first thing you get.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 11.29.2006 8:52 pm

Infidel wrote:
do you already have a standard textbook? That should be the very first thing you get.
I have like, Tuttle's Kanji Jisho, and Genki II from school, along with many other textbooks, but none of them go as far as I've gotten (aside from the Kanji Jisho).
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.29.2006 9:02 pm

if you're beyond Genki, have you looked at an integrated approach to intermediate Japanese?

I'd also say that anything for your level probably isn't at the bookstore. You'll have to order it.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 11.29.2006 9:14 pm

Infidel wrote:
if you're beyond Genki, have you looked at an integrated approach to intermediate Japanese?

I'd also say that anything for your level probably isn't at the bookstore. You'll have to order it.
I think I have. And thanks for the help, I'll look into it. However, do you know of any other kanji dictionaries I can buy?
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.29.2006 9:24 pm

Why would you need multiple kanji dictionaries? It seems like one would suffice; even online ones like WWWJDIC are fine. If you're looking for a textbook for kanji, I think that the two volumes of Basic Kanji Book, and also Kanji in Context are good.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 11.29.2006 9:26 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Why would you need multiple kanji dictionaries? It seems like one would suffice; even online ones like WWWJDIC are fine. If you're looking for a textbook for kanji, I think that the two volumes of Basic Kanji Book, and also Kanji in Context are good.
Well, Tuttle doesn't cover much of what I'm learning, so yeah. Thanks for the names.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.29.2006 9:32 pm

If you're beyond intermediate Japanese. Then you should be working your way through the bilingual magazines like nihongo journal and hiragana times, and others and buying your grammar books in Japanese.

I have the New Nelson's dictionary. It's probably the best paper character dictionary. If your far enough along you might just grab A japanese character dictionary.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby PandanoTake » Wed 11.29.2006 9:44 pm

Infidel wrote:
If you're beyond intermediate Japanese. Then you should be working your way through the bilingual magazines like nihongo journal and hiragana times, and others and buying your grammar books in Japanese.

I have the New Nelson's dictionary. It's probably the best paper character dictionary. If your far enough along you might just grab A japanese character dictionary.
Yayy more help. Thanks so much :D
エド より
PandanoTake

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips