Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - pronunciation dictionary

pronunciation dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

pronunciation dictionary

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 12.04.2006 5:57 pm

does anyone know of an online japanese dictionary with audio links? i know of english and chinese online dictionaries with audio links, but i've never come across one for japanese. failing that, does anyone know of an online japanese dictionary that at least marks the pitch accents in standard japanese?
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

RE: pronunciation dictionary

Postby Zounoko » Mon 12.04.2006 7:17 pm

uh, yeah, but I bet you're not gonna like my answer.

The 国語辞典at goo has this feature. http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/

But of course, that's a Japanese-Japanese dictionary and the pitch coding system is really weird. There are little subscript numbers that tell you which syllables get higher pitch. It's anything but obvious, and in fact I had to read the explanatory notes to figure out what those little numbers were about. (Wouldn't you know it? I plowed throught the notes collecting impractical linguistic descriptive terms, and the explanation of the numbers was the last thing they covered.)

Other than that, I don't know of a pronouncing dictionary. Compared to either English or Chinese, Japanese is quite simple to pronounce... but you undoubtedly know that.

The Elephant's Child
Zounoko

Postby nick-san » Mon 12.04.2006 7:55 pm

If you're looking for a great online dictionary, check out WWWJDICT.

First result on google if your interested.
私の名前はニックです
nick-san

Postby chikara » Mon 12.04.2006 8:08 pm

I use WWWJDICT extensively but are yet to come across the audio links. Where are the audio links in WWWJDICT?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Basilica » Mon 12.04.2006 8:09 pm

http://www.kantango.com has audio for most common words
Basilica

Postby skrhgh3b » Mon 12.04.2006 8:56 pm

Zounoko wrote:
uh, yeah, but I bet you're not gonna like my answer.

The 国語辞典at goo has this feature. http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/

But of course, that's a Japanese-Japanese dictionary and the pitch coding system is really weird. There are little subscript numbers that tell you which syllables get higher pitch. It's anything but obvious, and in fact I had to read the explanatory notes to figure out what those little numbers were about. (Wouldn't you know it? I plowed throught the notes collecting impractical linguistic descriptive terms, and the explanation of the numbers was the last thing they covered.)

Other than that, I don't know of a pronouncing dictionary. Compared to either English or Chinese, Japanese is quite simple to pronounce... but you undoubtedly know that.

The Elephant's Child

hey, thanks. i never noticed that about the goo dictionary, and i was just there earlier today. i'll have to check it out. hopefully i can make sense of it.

of course, everyone agrees that japanese is an easy language to pronounce, but i'm starting to have my doubts about that. i've always had trouble with long vs. short vowels, and i've never payed much if any attention to pitch accents, and my teachers are constantly correcting me. i studied japanese for over two years before i finally figured out that the japanese "u" sound is unrounded....
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.04.2006 9:18 pm

everyone agrees that japanese is an easy language to pronounce,

Beware of people saying this; I think it's presumptuous to claim a language is "easy to pronounce" unless you've had your speech evaluated by honest native speakers who tell you that your pronunciation is good.

What people probably mean by this is that there are fewer sounds in Japanese than in many other languages (English, for instance), and that the spelling (in kana) is more regular than English. But if they actually mean "easy to pronounce" as in "it doesn't take much work to get it right", that is not true for the average person -- or at least if the students in the classes I teach are average.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Mon 12.04.2006 9:28 pm

Yudan Taiteki, is it just me or you always end up saying the same thing in two different threads? ;) I wonder if you don't get tired trying to get your point across haha.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.04.2006 9:31 pm

I'm gonna agree with Yudan on this one. One mistake I tend to make is put stress on certain syllables even though in Japanese you're not supposed to. I'm getting better at it though. :)
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.04.2006 9:51 pm

Well, especially since the original poster was asking about a pronunciation dictionary I think he wants more than just "The 'a' is pronounced like the 'a' in 'father'", etc.

Tanuki: Yes, I notice that as well. And they seem to come in groups. :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips