Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Books for learning Japanese?

Books for learning Japanese?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Books for learning Japanese?

Postby Takeo Saeki » Tue 12.05.2006 1:09 am

Ok, I have a number of books on my Amazon list that I hope to get for Japanese. Books that I have heard are very helpful. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any more of them. The ones I already have on my list include:

"Handbook of Modern Japanese Grammar" by Yoko M McClain

"Guide to Writing Kanji and Kana book 1: A Self-study Workbook for Learning Japanese Characters" by Wolfgang Hadamitzky & Mark Spahn

"Kanji and Kana: A Handbook of the Japanese Writing System" also by Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn

"Japanese Step by Step: An Innovative Approach to Speaking and Reading Japanese" by Gene Nishi

and "Read Japanese Today" by Len Walsh.

All of these books got great reviews. And I am wondering if anyone here can recommend any more very helpful books. Most everyone here speaks and reads Japanese very well. So you must have used great books for it. My method right now, which is mostly online, hasn't been very effective. I have made little progress, and I am anxious to learn this great language as much as I can. So I want to get the best books I can for learning the language.
Last edited by Takeo Saeki on Tue 12.05.2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeo Saeki

RE: Books for learning Japanese?

Postby chikara » Tue 12.05.2006 3:04 am

I suggest you read Selecting a Japanese Textbook in the wiki.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Tue 12.05.2006 4:17 am

If you already have a textbook then some of those can make good supplements. If you don't have a textbook, then you should get one first.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 12.05.2006 9:51 am

You need to tell us what your level of Japanese is.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips