Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 2 learning material

JLPT 2 learning material

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

JLPT 2 learning material

Postby Ichigo19 » Mon 12.11.2006 5:34 pm

こんにちはみんあさん

I'm coming past 300 kanji soon and am considering getting two books and I was wondering if anyone here has used them, what you thought of them.

Japanese for Professionals

Unicom's 2kyuu Grammar with 2CDs

Also does anyone know how unicom's 2kyuu book compares to the one with 1,2kyuu grammar? Like if i just buy 2kyuu and then go up to the 1kyuu grammar book am i gonna miss anything from 1,2kyuu book? I also have "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" Which i Would do after finishing 2kyuu. Thanks to everyone who helps.
私がいちごです。女じゃありません。いちごの名前がアニメの名前じゃありません。
Ichigo19

RE: JLPT 2 learning material

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.11.2006 7:53 pm

こんにちはみんあさん

AAHH Paul! Where are you? lol

It should be みなさん. ;)
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby Ichigo19 » Mon 12.11.2006 8:01 pm

oh yea...i saw it in romaji before with 2 ns and i guess it stuck like that, jus have to remember that from now on
Ichigo19

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 12.11.2006 9:16 pm

"A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" includes many 2kyuu grammar entries.

You should consider switching to all Japanese material if you are studying for 2kyuu or above. That is, books which explain things only in Japanese.
Schattenjedi

Postby Armon » Mon 12.11.2006 9:34 pm

Ichigo19 wrote:
oh yea...i saw it in romaji before with 2 ns and i guess it stuck like that, jus have to remember that from now on

If you use the word without adding さん after it, I belive you can write it as みんな, but if you want to make it a bit more polite by adding さん after it you have to use みな.

Schattenjedi wrote:
"A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" includes many 2kyuu grammar entries.

You should consider switching to all Japanese material if you are studying for 2kyuu or above. That is, books which explain things only in Japanese.

I can't see any advantages to using a book that explains the grammar in Japanese over one that explains the grammar in English.

Of course, I would not recommend "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" as a textbook since it is meant to be used as a reference book.
Last edited by Armon on Mon 12.11.2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ljvg.blogspot.com -- Learn Japanese for Video Games -- The first website dedicated to teaching Japanese for playing video games.
Armon

Postby Ichigo19 » Mon 12.11.2006 9:48 pm

where can I get stuff only in japanese? Any examples of materials?
Ichigo19

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 12.11.2006 10:02 pm

Armon wrote:
I can't see any advantages to using a book that explains the grammar in Japanese over one that explains the grammar in English.

Isn't it obvious? You are going to need to do a lot of practice reading in Japanese so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and read IN Japanese ABOUT Japanese grammar, vocabulary, etc.. Not to mention that Japanese grammar makes a lot more sense when explained using the Japanese grammar terms rather than the English terms.
Schattenjedi

Postby flammable hippo » Mon 12.11.2006 10:17 pm

I think there might be some danger in using a book written in Japanese to explain grammar to you because there is (at least IMO) a greater chance in you misunderstanding what is being taught. It would be good to have an English grammar book as a backup just to make sure.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Armon » Mon 12.11.2006 10:25 pm

Ichigo19 wrote:
where can I get stuff only in japanese? Any examples of materials?

I belive you can get some from this site, but I don't know of any other.

From looking at the pictures on this site, I think "Unicom's 2 Kyuu Grammar" is written mostly if not only in Japanese.

Schattenjedi wrote:
Isn't it obvious? You are going to need to do a lot of practice reading in Japanese so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and read IN Japanese ABOUT Japanese grammar, vocabulary, etc.. Not to mention that Japanese grammar makes a lot more sense when explained using the Japanese grammar terms rather than the English terms.

Considering I have not seen anything in Japanese that can't equally be as well explain in English as in Japanese, I think any advantage that you would get from reading a grammar book in Japanese does not mean that you should skip using a good one in English.

While reading grammar book in Japanese would give you more reading practice than reading one in English would, you can petty easily import enough novels in Japanese to give you the reading practice you need, so you would not be giving up too much reading practice by using a grammar book in English over one in Japanese.
Last edited by Armon on Mon 12.11.2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ljvg.blogspot.com -- Learn Japanese for Video Games -- The first website dedicated to teaching Japanese for playing video games.
Armon

Postby clay » Mon 12.11.2006 11:38 pm

The book mentioned above, A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar, is excellent. It has everything explained in plain English but also lots of Japanese example sentences.

The Unicom books are all good because the majority of the explanations are in simple, to the point Japanese. That Unicom 2 kyuu book has no English but as Schattenjedi mentioned, I think this is a good thing. Each grammar point has an example, quick explanation in Japanese and several example sentences. Of course if you still don't understand something you could look it up in the Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar. :)
clay
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 12.12.2006 12:09 am

The advantage of using books specifically targeted to the 2kyuu test is that they know what material will appear on the test. Like most tests in Japan, using the prep books is an important part of taking them (if you're taking them to pass).
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips