Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - たすけて!!!!!!!!

たすけて!!!!!!!!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: たすけて!!!!!!!!

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.13.2006 11:43 am

Unfortunately unless you are in a language immersive environment, one where you are forced to speak and comprehend only Japanese, there will be some stumbling and bumbling when it comes to reading, or speaking japanese. For that matter, even living in Japan won't necessarily make you good at either.. Effort and more effort and more again will be the only way to overcome this hurdle.

I believe the genki cd's are fullspeed language clips.. ifyou can find one that does full speed and then slowed down that will help immensely. I too am a visual learner, so memorizing or utilizing a study book never did help me more than learning the basic vocab and grammar, the rest, I would try to incorporate at least 3 or more times per day.. that helped for retention..

good luck..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Sumi » Wed 12.13.2006 11:48 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Six lessons counts as one year of classes?

That's mind-boggling.

I know, in French were on chapter 5. We blow through chapters every week. Not to mention that the only thing I can in French is Je suis d'accord and Je aime tu.
Last edited by Sumi on Wed 12.13.2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby Kisshu » Wed 12.13.2006 1:55 pm

It may seem like not very much, but there are usually around 100 vocab words in each lesson plus a ton of grammer and such >.< But in schools, it takes a while.. I only got through lesson 7 in French for a year...
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.13.2006 3:34 pm

If you just now learned ~te form, then there could hardly have been "a ton" of grammar.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Wed 12.13.2006 6:16 pm

Either the OP is comparing the relative value of a college text to high school. 6 Chapters of a college text is equivilant to some high school texts, or The op is simply saying it took 1 year to get through 6 lessons.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 12.13.2006 6:34 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Six lessons counts as one year of classes?

That's mind-boggling.

Reading "lessons" as "chapters in a textbook" rather than "class sessions" (which is what the OP meant) in a lot of Japanese textbooks have very long chapters that would take multiple class meetings to finish. I'm not familiar with Genki, but at the high school level I can see a year being taken up with that material.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby flammable hippo » Wed 12.13.2006 6:37 pm

I was able to learn all of Genki 1 in a few months. Its not that hard or long but there is a lot of info in it so I can see why the OP is still on lesson 6.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby Kisshu » Wed 12.13.2006 6:52 pm

Whooooahh.. hey the question was on how to learn speaking skills better, not on how long Genki should take >.<

Besides, I write down all the vocab in a notebook as well as all the grammer... so in otherwords, i basically capy down allt he text fromt eh book into my notebook to help keep it in my head. I also do all the practice and use the workbook like a test book.

But as I said, please try to keep on topic... ;)
ラブラブ!!<3
My Japanese Blog: http://www.jellyfishsushi.blogspot.com
My Art: http://www.k-i-s-s-h-u.deviantart.com
Kisshu

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips