Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT is over, now what?

JLPT is over, now what?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

JLPT is over, now what?

Postby debu » Tue 12.12.2006 9:16 pm

So, I found that taking the JLPT4 was a great way to motivate myself to study. Now that it's over, I'm already starting to slack off. I plan on taking JLPT3 next year, but that's too far away to keep me studying every day. What are some other things I can do in the meantime to stay motivated? Learning Japanese is something I want to do, but I find it way too easy to put off unless there's a deadline or something.
debu

RE: JLPT is over, now what?

Postby MegaMangaMan » Tue 12.12.2006 9:21 pm

I'm having the same problem... so if anyone has any pointers... I'm on the boat with this guy.
It's me, got a problem? Oh well...
MegaMangaMan

Postby arielhud » Tue 12.12.2006 9:35 pm

Give yourself small deadlines- like translate a japanese song every week, or maybe find a small group of people that might want to start a bi-weekly exam of sorts. Like... picking apart the material for the next test- even if its so far away. The other option is getting study materials~ but yes, it is hard when you have to motivate yourself. What I plan to do during my school break is have a friend quiz me every day on kanji, and every week on vocab... she's hardcore, so she won't give me any slack >>;
arielhud

Postby friendly_fire » Tue 12.12.2006 9:57 pm

debu wrote:
What are some other things I can do in the meantime to stay motivated?

So when are you coming to Japan? Start thinking about/planning that. I'm sure you'll find some motivation!
friendly_fire

Postby debu » Tue 12.12.2006 10:28 pm

No plans to move to Japan anytime soon, and I'm out of school, so learning Japanese is just something I'm doing to have something to learn. I'd pretty much stopped studying until I found out about the JLPT and signed up for it.

I could try to find motivation by having a goal to be able to converse with a native Japanese person, understand Manga or Anime, etc... but I'm at such a low level that those goals are too far off to really help. Also, without a deadline on any of those goals, it's too easy to put off.

I like the idea of a bi-weekly exam, tho that is too frequent for me. Anyone want to do monthly practice exams involving JLPT3&4 material or something?
debu

Postby IkimashoZ » Wed 12.13.2006 2:56 am

for me... failure, which I'll be recieving notification of february-ish.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.13.2006 5:17 am

The simple fact is that there is a strong likelihood you're just going to join the multitude of folks before you who have eventually drifted away from learning Japanese due to having no actual need for it and therefore little to no motivation to continue.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Wed 12.13.2006 5:27 am

Mike Cash wrote:
The simple fact is that there is a strong likelihood you're just going to join the multitude of folks before you who have eventually drifted away from learning Japanese due to having no actual need for it and therefore little to no motivation to continue.

My motivation is annoying Cindy.
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.13.2006 6:41 am

paul_b wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

My motivation is annoying Cindy.

Knowing Cindy as I do, I have to ask for clarification on that sentence.

Was "annoying" used as an adjective?
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Wed 12.13.2006 6:45 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Knowing Cindy as I do, I have to ask for clarification on that sentence.

Was "annoying" used as an adjective?

As I said to somebody else a short while ago "Language is a wonderfully imprecise tool."*

* Actual sentence may vary.
paul_b

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 12.13.2006 8:57 am

I think you sound incredibly unmotivated, even to the point where you should just give up. But if for whatever reason you don't want to give up, you could set up a test date for yourself sometime in the spring. Decide on a certain date to take a 3kyuu mock test and start studying for it now.
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Thu 12.14.2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby Tesu » Wed 12.13.2006 9:06 am

Mike Cash wrote:

Absolutely, I found it difficult studying before actually coming here and didn't make progress even close to as quickly as I'm progressing now. If you really want to learn Japanese, I think you just have to come here. Otherwise you'll forever be getting frustrated with your inability to have a deent conversation
Tesu

Postby richvh » Wed 12.13.2006 9:27 am

What's the big deal about taking a test whose result has no impact on my life? Now, writing a chapter of ゆきの物語 without having every other sentence rewritten by my native speaker proofreaders, there is a goal worth striving toward (and the way the end of this story keeps receding in front of me, and the way I keep going into new subject matter, a long-term goal as well.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby MegaMangaMan » Wed 12.13.2006 11:25 am

I never want to drift away from my japanese goals :(
It's me, got a problem? Oh well...
MegaMangaMan

Postby Sumi » Wed 12.13.2006 11:28 am

I don't worry about the JLPT. I did when I was in the beginner stage. Now, I'm just focusing on becoming fluent enough to live in Japan or use my skills with ease.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips