Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT is over, now what?

JLPT is over, now what?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: JLPT is over, now what?

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.13.2006 3:32 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
Like Mike said, you sound incredibly unmotivated....

No, Mike made no comment one way or the other on how motivated or unmotivated the OP sounds. Go back and read my post again.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby debu » Wed 12.13.2006 3:44 pm

The simple fact is that there is a strong likelihood you're just going to join the multitude of folks before you who have eventually drifted away from learning Japanese due to having no actual need for it and therefore little to no motivation to continue

Depressing, but possibly correct. Thats why the test was so nice, it created an artificial need. However, I've had learning Japanese as a goal for long enough that that I'm pretty sure it will remain a goal. I just need to find a way to coerce some progress out of myself.

Like Mike said, you sound incredibly unmotivated, in my opinion to the point where you should just give up. But if for whatever reason you don't want to give up, you could set up a test date for yourself sometime in the spring. Decide on a certain date to take a 3kyuu mock test and start studying for it now.

I didn't mean to come across as that unmotivated, it really is something I want to do. I just have trouble finding the time for it unless there's a sense of urgency.

What's the big deal about taking a test whose result has no impact on my life? Now, writing a chapter of ゆきの物語 without having every other sentence rewritten by my native speaker proofreaders, there is a goal worth striving toward (and the way the end of this story keeps receding in front of me, and the way I keep going into new subject matter, a long-term goal as well.)

The test was just something to shoot for that had a deadline and consequences for putting off (wasting $40, sitting in a room for 3 hours failing a test). Are there any other Japanese tests out there that are suitable for beginners?
debu

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 12.13.2006 4:18 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

No, Mike made no comment one way or the other on how motivated or unmotivated the OP sounds. Go back and read my post again.

Mike Cash wrote:
The simple fact is that there is a strong likelihood you're just going to join the multitude of folks before you who have eventually drifted away from learning Japanese due to having no actual need for it and therefore little to no motivation to continue.

Are you nitpicking my wording or something?
Schattenjedi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 12.13.2006 6:38 pm

Something you have to be careful of is that "learning Japanese" is not a goal, or at least not one that is concrete enough to be something to strive towards. That's a very vague phrase that can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people.

Focus on something concrete that you want to be able to do with the language. Maybe it's talking to a Japanese friend in Japanese, watching some anime, reading Tale of Genji in the original Japanese -- whatever it is, get some concrete goals and then see if you can do something to step towards them. Maybe if you're interested in manga you can acquire some manga that already has been published in English so that you can have a translation to look at when you get stuck.

This can be tough if you are at a very low level and your goal is very high, but it can help keep you motivated.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Zounoko » Wed 12.13.2006 8:27 pm

Here's a thought. Read a book. In Japanese. A manga even. NOT one with a readily available English translation. Ask questions as you go.

The Elephant's Child.
Zounoko

Postby Oyaji » Wed 12.13.2006 9:06 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Something you have to be careful of is that "learning Japanese" is not a goal

I think this is the key. Whenever Japanese people ask me how they can learn to speak English better, the first thing I ask them is why do they want to. It may be a cliche, but it is true: Language is a tool. Having a reason to use a tool is a greater motivator than simply wanting to learn how to use the tool.

reading Tale of Genji in the original Japanese

:o

I don't know of many Japanese people even who can do that. ;)
Oyaji

Postby BetterSense » Wed 12.13.2006 11:09 pm

Man, I get frustrated over lack of speaking practice, but I can't see losing motivation until I can read better.
I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BetterSense

Postby ss » Thu 12.14.2006 4:21 am

I have to agree with Rich-san. Even with a pass JLPT cert in hand, there are tons of tons of tons of stuffs you have to strive for.

I do know that everyone is busy, for all of us, has a purpose in life.
Having an on-going translation practice with変化が, I am certainly enjoying the whole process of practicing and learning new things each time I’m online TJP, there’s a goal. Nonetheless, there are many useful study materials, improved resources, links, etc available here. You’re bound to find something which appeals to you, seek and ye shall find. Only if you know what you are looking for, TJP is a stepping stone to a better achievement. Thus, self-motivation is vital. :)

JLPT is over, now what?
Anyone want to do monthly practice exams involving JLPT3&4 material or something?

You have a good point here. What’s your plan? How are you going to organize it?
I sorta nostalgia for our time on trail thread
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.14.2006 5:25 am

Schattenjedi wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

Mike Cash wrote:
The simple fact is that there is a strong likelihood you're just going to join the multitude of folks before you who have eventually drifted away from learning Japanese due to having no actual need for it and therefore little to no motivation to continue.

No. I'm openly criticizing your lack of critical reading skills for so grossly misinterpreting what I wrote in a very clear and easily understandable manner.

How did you come up with "Like Mike said, you sound incredibly unmotivated...." out of what I wrote?
Mike Cash

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 12.14.2006 10:07 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
Schattenjedi wrote:

Mike Cash wrote:

No. I'm openly criticizing your lack of critical reading skills for so grossly misinterpreting what I wrote in a very clear and easily understandable manner.

How did you come up with "Like Mike said, you sound incredibly unmotivated...." out of what I wrote?

Liberal paraphrasing?

But whatever, I'll edit it.
Schattenjedi

Postby Txkun » Thu 12.14.2006 11:20 am

Taking JLPT was interesting and was fun to learn with many people (offline and online) but JLPT is by no means an end or a goal.

When learning something like a language I think it's like a martial art. There is no ending to learning. You can always get better. If not you can start studying japanese culture by reading japanese books :).

I started slowly reading JLPT3 word lists, reviewing some of its grammar and I started seriously playing some GBA japanese games I had. I stop at every word I don't know and write it down. I'll eventually learn a lot of nice words and it's fun.
Last edited by Txkun on Thu 12.14.2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby garbageman » Thu 12.14.2006 11:53 am

Mike Cash, shutup and stop whining.
garbageman

Postby tanuki » Thu 12.14.2006 1:52 pm

The garbage man has spoken.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby paul_b » Thu 12.14.2006 1:59 pm

tanuki wrote:

Nice choice of content for a first post. :rolleyes:
paul_b

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.14.2006 3:22 pm

paul_b wrote:
tanuki wrote:

Nice choice of content for a first post. :rolleyes:

Probably a current member who created a new account just to say that.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips