Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT is over, now what?

JLPT is over, now what?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: JLPT is over, now what?

Postby paul_b » Thu 12.14.2006 3:40 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Probably a current member who created a new account just to say that.

Not something I want to encourage regardless of the rights and wrongs of any particular tiff.

In any case said member residing in Japan should bear in mind that if the admins of this site want to they can see more than normal users and take drastic actions when required.
paul_b

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 12.14.2006 5:19 pm

Oyaji wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:

reading Tale of Genji in the original Japanese

:o

I don't know of many Japanese people even who can do that. ;)

I just listed that because it was one of my goals...
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Thu 12.14.2006 5:39 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

From an ability point of view it's an admirable goal, but from all I've heard it's a pretty boring book.
paul_b

Postby chikara » Thu 12.14.2006 7:36 pm

paul_b wrote:
In any case said member residing in Japan.......

garbageman is really Mike Cash :o

:D :D
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chchan45 » Thu 12.14.2006 9:58 pm

While we cannot condone using duplicate accounts to launch personal attacks, I do feel that we could do with a more supportive atmosphere here. Not many people are going to report specific posts unless they are way over the mark, but a proliferation of unfriendly posts is probably going to scare people away or discourage active participation, and this is a loss to us all.

I think it is wrong for us to make judgements of other members on the board. I make judgements when I have all the facts in front of me and listened to both sides of the argument. Here, I don't even know what you look like!

Just think back to your first post. How would you have liked people to respond to it? I had a really hard time figuring out which discussion board is which to start with, and I would have been scared away if my stupid mistakes are met with abuse.
Last edited by chchan45 on Thu 12.14.2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 12.14.2006 10:54 pm

paul_b wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:

From an ability point of view it's an admirable goal, but from all I've heard it's a pretty boring book.

That's an understandable point of view; it is slow moving and doesn't have a lot of action in it. I'm writing my MA Thesis on Genji though so I hope I have a better liking for it than some people. ;)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Fri 12.15.2006 12:10 pm

I'm writing my MA Thesis on Genji

Very cool! PM me and let me know the specs (topic, title, etc.).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 12.15.2006 1:44 pm

When I feel unmotivated, I youtube search an interview of my favorite singers or bands, and when I can't understand a word they're saying I know I have to study harder.

And when I actually can pick up a word or two, then I'm really happy and I want to be able to understand more and I know I have to study harder.

Either way, I feel motivated :D

Edit - Another thing I do is translate stuff for one of my friends who doesn't speak a word of Japanese but loves the music and stuff from Japan. She's always like, "Oh, your so smart!" etc., and that makes me feel motivated. (Even though I'm sometimes unsure about what I'm translating ^^")
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Fri 12.15.2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby Spikeygal » Fri 12.15.2006 4:14 pm

chchan45 wrote:
While we cannot condone using duplicate accounts to launch personal attacks, I do feel that we could do with a more supportive atmosphere here. Not many people are going to report specific posts unless they are way over the mark, but a proliferation of unfriendly posts is probably going to scare people away or discourage active participation, and this is a loss to us all.

I think it is wrong for us to make judgements of other members on the board. I make judgements when I have all the facts in front of me and listened to both sides of the argument. Here, I don't even know what you look like!

Just think back to your first post. How would you have liked people to respond to it? I had a really hard time figuring out which discussion board is which to start with, and I would have been scared away if my stupid mistakes are met with abuse.

Just have to say that I agree with this. It's not such a lovely thing to ask a question and be replied to with discouraging statements. If anything it would put me off asking questions more, which ultimately might end in me giving up all together.

As for your question on staying motivated, maybe give yourself a goal to complete every so often. You could set a number of kanji you want to learn by the end of, say, a fortnight. Or say that by next month you want to be able to write about some subject using all the correct kanji. Be creative to keep yourself interested! Best of luck. :)
Spikeygal

Postby natemb » Fri 12.15.2006 8:19 pm

debu wrote:
So, I found that taking the JLPT4 was a great way to motivate myself to study. Now that it's over, I'm already starting to slack off. I plan on taking JLPT3 next year, but that's too far away to keep me studying every day. What are some other things I can do in the meantime to stay motivated? Learning Japanese is something I want to do, but I find it way too easy to put off unless there's a deadline or something.

I was in roughly the same situation last year. I didn't actually take the test, but I thought I was around JLPT3 level, and I decided I wanted to take level 2 in one year as a concrete goal to work towards. For me, the biggest motivating factor was taking the placement test for level two on Kanji Step just to see how much I understood. I didn't even make it through half the test, but I think I got less than 25%, the average for people who are randomly guessing!

This is what kicked me into gear! It was still 10 months before the test, but I printed out a list of the level 2 kanji (from this site), bought a level 2 grammar book, and started reading a page or two from the Narnia series every day (happened to be what I could get my hands on, not actually my #1 recommendation, though).

So I recommend that you take the practice test to see how far away your goal is! Also, I don't know what your financial situation is, but at the 3/4 level, I think you would really benefit from following a textbook, like Genki or Japanese for Busy People. The latter is what I used to get myself up to JLPT3 level (I bought the whole series, 1-3). If you have a textbook that will get you to level 3, just figure out how many lessons and how much time you have, so you can create a schedule for yourself and break your big goal into smaller, closer goals.

Disclaimer: The one difference about my situation is that I live in Japan, so I had constant listening practice and an immediate motivation to learn more. But your goal is definitely doable if you put your mind to it. Maybe you can get extra motivation by resolving to prove the TJP doubters wrong! They've gotten past level 3, and they're betting that you can't!
natemb

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 12.16.2006 8:50 am

natemb opined:
Maybe you can get extra motivation by resolving to prove the TJP doubters wrong! They've gotten past level 3, and they're betting that you can't!

That assumes we care or that we somehow consider Japanese acquisition a contest which we wish to win at the expense of others.
Mike Cash

Postby Xenomorph » Sat 12.23.2006 5:46 pm

It's definitely difficult to keep the focus and motivation up when learning a new language. For me it was all about practical application, which was kind of easy because my hobbies (japanese cars, karate, etc) are what prompted me to begin learning. When I was around yon kyuu level I made some Japanese penfriends who I eventually met in person, who then went on to become great friends of mine. I found nights out at karaoke was actually teaching me kanji in addition to being fun (if not painful for my poor friends ears). Now I try to go to Yahoo messenger chat and things like that, situations where I need to understand and write back relatively quickly. Also, just observing the casual banter in there is a good learning experience. But without some solid interests/practical connections with the language it would be extremely to keep up. My Italian is but a distant memory for that very reason.
Last edited by Xenomorph on Sat 12.23.2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenomorph

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips