Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - WANTED: Testers

WANTED: Testers

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

WANTED: Testers

Postby kinch » Sun 05.29.2005 8:31 am

I would like volunteers to test a new technique for learning japanese.

First things first: this will not teach you the whole language, nor will you learn a huge vocabulary in a short time. This is my disclaimer and your warning. The techniques I use (I hesitate to even use the word 'technique') are nothing new, or revolutionary; instead, I've tried to rearrange different approaches to learning in the hope that some things will become easier. However, I have no idea how effective it is, and I need testers to give me some feedback.

Prerequisites:

Basic japanese grammar understanding, and understanding of basic japanese sentence structure. Nothing major really, you just need to know that 'da' or 'desu' comes at the end. Roughly that level of knowledge. But, the more the merrier.

Reasonable understanding of verb and adjective conjugation. Again, nothing special, the basics should mostly be sufficient. The skill I'm looking for here is to be able to determine the base word and be able to strip off the conjugated bits.

Ability to read hiragana and katakana. You dont have to be fast or fluent, but the faster you can read it, the better. No kanji knowledge is required, however, if you have some, that's good too.

Strong understanding of english. This may seem a little strange, but I'm looking for a level of english that can recognise and understand puns, subtle jokes, witticisms, and complex imagery. Anyone who speaks english as their primary language is fine; similarly, those countries where language is taught alot and has a high literacy rate (Sweden for example) are fine as well.

If you fit the profile, and are interested in trying something new, then please get in contact with me. Note: I will ONLY ACCEPT EMAIL REQUESTS. My email address will be provided below. Do not bother replying to this thread.

In your email, please give me some details about your studying. Things like, how long you've been studying, what your rough estimation of skill is, what your goals are, what you enjoy about japanese, etc etc. Please also be aware that after the 'test' I would really appreciate detailed feedback on what works, what doesnt, what you liked, and so on.

If you're interested, please feel free to email me at kinch@ichigo.se

Again, I'd like to stress that this is no guarantee of learning japanese, and (if this were a software test) it would be a very very first alpha test.

I look forward to hearing from you.
kinch

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips