Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Please Help

Please Help

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Please Help

Postby Christian_ » Sat 12.16.2006 12:16 am

In the 1 and a half years I've been "studying", I haven't really made any progress. So I'm hear to ask your advice. I have only 3 more days of school before Christmas break, so I'm planning on getting back to Japanese.

First off, I know I have the ability to learn another language. I'm an A and B student at a private school, and I'm the top student in my Spanish I class.

Seeing how far I've progressed in Spanish, I think I've found the problem. I don't have a study routine. All I do is occasionally read Tae Kim's guide to tell you the truth.

So, if you don't mind, will you please tell me how to study Japanese effectively, I'm willing and able. Here are the supplies that I have:

-notebook & pen
-Japanese textbook
-small paper dictionary
-nintendo ds dictionary
-Japanese Kanji dictionary, kinda inaccurate I think, it's in Romaji
-A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
-sketch pad
-personal laptop

This might be a stupid post, but I'm horribly unmotivated, I feel like I'm making no progress, and well I just can't describe it. I've been here a long time now, and people who have just joined know more than me. PLEASE HELP :(
Christian_

RE: Please Help

Postby mamba » Sat 12.16.2006 12:43 am

I suggest watching j-dramas or anime. Just watching one full season of something is better than 1 and a half years of "almost studying." Try watching Densha Otoko or Hana Yori Dango, my 2 favorite shows.

You can be A-B student in a private school, have school materials, be #1 in your Spanish class, but just books just wont do. Take the opposite person, no money, highschool droppout, but drop him in the middle of Tokyo and he/she'll know more Japanese within weeks.

Just my opinion though. What im really trying to say is, dont just drown yourself with text or lock yourself in a library. If you want to learn the language, you must live it. Stream Japanese radio on your winamp or watch videos from Japan (youtube is probably the best).
mamba

Postby richvh » Sat 12.16.2006 12:58 am

Find something in Japanese to read. Something related to a hobby, a type of book you like to read, a manga, anything... just read. Work through your textbook. (Tae Kim's guide doesn't have enough content in context to really help with reading comprehension - it's a reference more than a textbook.) Oh, and when you're not reading, you can do some of that stuff the other fellow talked about.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 12.16.2006 1:12 am

If you can, get on TJP Chat... I've learned a ton of things there :D
Last edited by Tspoonami on Sat 12.16.2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Christian_ » Sat 12.16.2006 3:01 pm

Thanks you guys, I guess I just have to immerse myself more, but there's still a problem. I can't stand my slow textbook, I guess I'll do it anyway, and the Japanese in videos goes over my head. Anyone want to suggest a link?
Christian_

Postby Schattenjedi » Sat 12.16.2006 3:34 pm

Christian_ wrote:Anyone want to suggest a link?

http://www.ajalt.org/rwj/
Last edited by Schattenjedi on Sat 12.16.2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schattenjedi

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 12.16.2006 5:23 pm

Christian_ wrote:

This might be a stupid post, but I'm horribly unmotivated, I feel like I'm making no progress, and well I just can't describe it. I've been here a long time now, and people who have just joined know more than me. PLEASE HELP :(

Honestly it takes a bit of self motivation.. find something that excites you and persue it. We can help with the physical stuff, links and all that, but you have to put forth the effort. good luck..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips