Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - E->J Electronic Dictionary

E->J Electronic Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

E->J Electronic Dictionary

Postby Tesu » Mon 12.25.2006 3:41 am

Hey guys,

I was in a Yamada-Denki yesterday with a friend trying to pick up a new electronic dictionary (I've never had one before). However, I'm not entirely sure how they are meant to be used and wanted an extra bit of guidance before buying one.

I tried the search function but keep getting 0 replies every time, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. Running a forum search on the word "Japan" also returned 0 threads....

When I was using them, if I put in an english word the translation would always come back in Japanese but with the Kanji. Since I don't read all that many Kanji, I couldn't then translate that into any sort of sound I could use again.

Are there any dictionaries which either give the translations in Kana, or have some way to perform voice output? (The ones I looked at couldn't speak Japanese words, only English...)

Are there any dictionaries custom built for foreigners learning Japanese? Can anyone here point me in the right direction or give me any more information for how they are used?

Thanks a lot :]
Tesu

RE: E->J Electronic Dictionary

Postby paul_b » Mon 12.25.2006 4:41 am

Tesu wrote:
When I was using them, if I put in an english word the translation would always come back in Japanese but with the Kanji. Since I don't read all that many Kanji, I couldn't then translate that into any sort of sound I could use again.

It should have a 'Jump function'. Basically you should be able to select one of the Japanese words and 'Jump' to the J->J dictionary that _will_ have kana. However if you can't read at least a good number of the kanji words it shows I think that it's too soon for you to be getting an Electronic dictionary.
paul_b

RE: E->J Electronic Dictionary

Postby Tesu » Mon 12.25.2006 6:29 am

paul_b wrote:
It should have a 'Jump function'. Basically you should be able to select one of the Japanese words and 'Jump' to the J->J dictionary that _will_ have kana.

Ahhh I see. I didn't spend much time at all playing around with them, but never realised that you could do that. I might head back and mess around with them again and find this jump function :]

However if you can't read at least a good number of the kanji words it shows I think that it's too soon for you to be getting an Electronic dictionary.

Yeah, your probably right. I figured they would be really useful for me, but I'm thinking I'm going to go out and buy Kodancha's furigana J->E E->J dictionary for now, and upgrade to an electronic dictionary once I'm a little bit better =)
Tesu

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips