Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Wanted: Excel XP using person for semi-secret project

Wanted: Excel XP using person for semi-secret project

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Wanted: Excel XP using person for semi-secret project

Postby paul_b » Sat 12.30.2006 8:25 am

I have a project in (very) early stages of development and it's just about ready for alpha testers.

Requirements are:
1. Got Excel XP. (I do plan to release a multi-platform friendly version at some point (maybe Python) but first I'd have to actually learn the damn language.)
2. Learning kanji (including learning to _write_ kanji), but not got very far yet.
3. Ability to provide coherent and useful feedback.

Anybody interested should email me at
blay.paul AT googlemail.com
paul_b

RE: Wanted: Excel XP using person for semi-secret project

Postby richvh » Sat 12.30.2006 1:35 pm

1. No gots (except at work, where I have Office 2003). Will it work in Open Office Calc?
2. Well, I can read several hundred kanji, but usually neglect the writing part.
3. Aw, geez, this one is sure to leave me out. ;)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby paul_b » Sat 12.30.2006 1:40 pm

richvh wrote:
1. No gots (except at work, where I have Office 2003). Will it work in Open Office Calc?

No, it's very heavily macro dependent. If I was going to take the time learn Open Office macros and re-write it in that I might as well learn Python and write a program that doesn't need spreadsheet software to run. :D
2. Well, I can read several hundred kanji, but usually neglect the writing part.

I can read a couple of thousand kanji, but I can't reliably write the first 80. :o
paul_b

Postby angstycoder » Sat 12.30.2006 1:47 pm

paul_b: I have Excel 2k3 butnot XP... is that OK? AFAIK they anything done in XP/2002 will work fine in 2k3?

I only know between 10 and 20 kanji. Is that too few?
angstycoder

Postby paul_b » Sat 12.30.2006 1:52 pm

angstycoder wrote:
paul_b: I have Excel 2k3 butnot XP... is that OK? AFAIK they anything done in XP/2002 will work fine in 2k3?

That should be fine. In fact it might well work with Excel 2002 (but I have no means to test that).

I only know between 10 and 20 kanji. Is that too few?

No, that should be OK. You might find it a bit hard going at first but it should be good practice. If you're interested email me and I can send you the files and give you more details.
paul_b

Postby Spikeygal » Sat 12.30.2006 2:29 pm

1. I've got Excel - it came with the whole XP package when I first got my PC, so I'm assuming it's XP, even though the title doesn't say as much.
2. I can read and write about 23 so far.
3. I think I can manage to give some coherent feedback, unless you would particularly like it to be in text speak? ;)

I should tell you that I'm a GCSE student, so do have coursework to contend with as well as learning kanji, but I think I should have enough spare time to give this a go. :)
Spikeygal

Postby paul_b » Sat 12.30.2006 2:35 pm

Spikeygal wrote:
I should tell you that I'm a GCSE student, so do have coursework to contend with as well as learning kanji, but I think I should have enough spare time to give this a go. :)

Great. Well my email is blay.paul AT googlemail.com (replace the AT with @), drop me a line and I'll send it to you. (Although my internet connection is very bad today so it might get delayed a bit ^ ^; )
paul_b

Postby Spikeygal » Sat 12.30.2006 2:42 pm

I'll e-mail now. :)
Hope your connection speeds up!
Spikeygal

Postby paul_b » Sat 12.30.2006 3:34 pm

Spikeygal wrote:
I'll e-mail now. :)

Got it, and replied.
Hope your connection speeds up!

It seems to have got a bit better. I think my mum moved the wireless network base station and caused the signal strength to drop. ^ ^;
paul_b

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips