Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Learning Utility (for Excel)

Kanji Learning Utility (for Excel)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Kanji Learning Utility (for Excel)

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 01.04.2007 1:32 pm

I haven't learned enough to say if there are errors in the questions yet, but the program seems to work fine on my laptop under Excel 2007 Beta 2, and not at all under OpenOffice 2.0 Calc. I don't think OO handles scripting and macros the same way, though. I love how you have actually used OS specified color schemes for most things. Most scripted programs I have seen specify black text, and no background color, making it unreadable on my screen. (I have a black background set on windows, with phosphor green text)
Last edited by Chris Hart on Thu 01.04.2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby paul_b » Thu 01.04.2007 1:42 pm

Chris Hart wrote:
I love how you have actually used OS specified color schemes for most things.

Er, I did? :D

Actually no planning was involved at all. You should be able to re-colour any way you like in any case.

Yeah, Open Office is out without a complete re-write from bottom up (and I don't know the macro-language used by Open Office). If I get lots and lots of demand for an Open Office version I might consider trying it but ideally I'd like to write it in Python* or something that is a multi-platform programming language.

* which I also don't know. :o
paul_b

Postby Chris Hart » Thu 01.04.2007 2:37 pm

paul_b wrote:
Chris Hart wrote:
I love how you have actually used OS specified color schemes for most things.

Er, I did? :D

Actually no planning was involved at all. You should be able to re-colour any way you like in any case.

Actually that is the defaults. I have just found that many people that write these types of programs (macro based spreadsheet programs) change the font colors from their defaults in ways that destroy OS specified color schemes by only specifying a foreground color. I did see a few places where other colors were specified, but they specified both a foreground and background color.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby angstycoder » Thu 01.04.2007 2:52 pm

paul_b wrote:
If I get lots and lots of demand for an Open Office version I might consider trying it but ideally I'd like to write it in Python* or something that is a multi-platform programming language.

I'm pretty sure you could use PHP and Perl to do this; if it's on a webserver, it's cross-platform :)

edit to add: DB such as MYSQL

Oops!
Last edited by angstycoder on Thu 01.04.2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angstycoder

Postby paul_b » Thu 01.04.2007 3:05 pm

angstycoder wrote:
I'm pretty sure you could use PHP and Perl to do this; if it's on a webserver, it's cross-platform :)

I do know a little PHP, but no Perl. I'll see how much of a following I can get for it first.
paul_b

Postby angstycoder » Thu 01.04.2007 4:02 pm

I can help with any perl that would be required. I don't think you'd need much if any
angstycoder

Postby paul_b » Thu 01.04.2007 4:08 pm

angstycoder wrote:
I can help with any perl that would be required. I don't think you'd need much if any

I'll think about it when I've got the _data_ side finished (or at least a few more grades on).
paul_b

Postby Infidel » Thu 01.04.2007 8:57 pm

Wow Paul, this is quite awesome. So much better than your introduction "A kanji stroke learning" utility implies. I see over 600 questions for Grade 1, so the repetition combined with the large number of unique questions should be very helpful not only for learning the kanji, but becomming more comfortable with the sentence structure. It truly fills a role note of the other programs fill.

I'm really, really impressed.

Rykk
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 01.04.2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby angstycoder » Thu 01.04.2007 8:59 pm

The sentance structure is really helping me learn the Kanji. It's a steap learning curve for me (the only Kanji I know are the numbers and maybe 5 others,) but much more effective than memorizing by rote.
angstycoder

Postby ashitaka » Thu 01.04.2007 9:59 pm

Nice utility, BTW your website was filled with way to much information, all 2 lines of it.
ashitaka

Postby paul_b » Fri 01.05.2007 2:37 am

Infidel wrote:
Wow Paul, this is quite awesome. So much better than your introduction "A kanji stroke learning" utility implies. I see over 600 questions for Grade 1, so the repetition combined with the large number of unique questions should be very helpful not only for learning the kanji, but becomming more comfortable with the sentence structure. It truly fills a role note of the other programs fill.

I'm really, really impressed.

Thanks for the feedback. :D
paul_b

Postby paul_b » Fri 01.05.2007 11:36 am

New Version up today.

Includes various minor changes and also partial implementation of highlighting the relevant English word (for which I have to thank Robert). If you're reading this, Robert, I decided to leave out 'hints' when there is no corresponding English word. I'd rather have that facility provided by the "Show Dictionary Entry" option (when implemented).

Currently working on ...
Checking the first 600 Grade 2 questions (and incidentally learning them myself ;-).
Next in priority is probably the option to show the dictionary entry for words whose kanji you are trying to find. e.g. For "_気" you might see ...

てんき (n) weather; the elements; fine weather; (P)

That probably won't be in today, maybe tomorrow.
paul_b

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips