Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learning with the Nintendo DS

Learning with the Nintendo DS

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Learning with the Nintendo DS

Postby ratamahat » Wed 06.08.2005 8:12 am

I just got a great idea!
The Nintendo DS supports cartridges internationally, which means that you can buy a Japanese game and play it on any other DS-system in the world (i.e. the one I bought in Norway). So I was thinking of importing some Japanese DS games to learn reading better! What are your thoughts on this?
And what games are good for starters, but with enough text to be worth the while/money? It would be cool to step up to an RPG one day!

And oh, the Pictochat messaging system has kana characters! That way you and your friend can practise Japanese over your DS. I recommend the DS to everyone here interested in games + learning japanese:D
ratamahat

RE: Learning with the Nintendo DS

Postby clay » Wed 06.08.2005 10:28 am

Interesting. I think the Sony PSP also can work with Japanese games. I know nothing about the gaming world, but I am sure it could be used as a learning tool somehow.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 06.08.2005 10:47 am

Anyone know if the next generation (ps3) discs will be internationally compatible? Regional restrictions are extremely annoying.
Schattenjedi

Postby hihlordjp » Wed 06.08.2005 10:47 am

Sounds like a great idea. I didn't know that the DS didn't have a cartridge region restriction. B)
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby kanadajin » Wed 06.08.2005 7:34 pm

hmm my friend thought of doing that once but the game he baught was better than he expected he wanted a game that was japanese with text but it had text and english subtitles don't ask me why but it did i don't remember the game name i'd have to ask.. he could take of the subtitles too... But he dosn't like Japan ( that much) and dosn't understand the game he thought it would be cool so hes going to give it to me....
kanadajin

Postby mewcurano » Thu 06.09.2005 11:51 am

clay wrote:
Interesting. I think the Sony PSP also can work with Japanese games. I know nothing about the gaming world, but I am sure it could be used as a learning tool somehow.

The PsP has region restriction. It's required by law that anything that can play DVDs has to have region protection.
mewcurano

Postby randomperson » Thu 06.09.2005 12:50 pm

the game puyopop fever for the DS has the option of putting the game in japanese so it is good for learning
randomperson

RE: Budokai

Postby Danyoru » Mon 06.13.2005 12:47 pm

Both Dragonball Budokai 1 and 2 are in Japanese on the Cube, that's if anyone likes insane rpg/adventure/beat-em-ups...:)
Danyoru

Postby clay » Tue 06.14.2005 12:35 pm

mewcurano wrote:
clay wrote:

The PsP has region restriction. It's required by law that anything that can play DVDs has to have region protection.

I had heard that at least so far none of the games had region coding, though. But I really don't know much about the gaming world...
clay
Site Admin

RE: cool

Postby ratamahat » Wed 06.15.2005 6:29 am

There's a game called Another Code for the DS, which is kind of a point and click game of the old school. Thought this might be interesting to buy, with lots of text in it. Cool that some games have english subtitles! The best part of the idea, is that lots of games are basically for kids, so they usually don't use that much kanji, perhaps 4 kyuu. Reccon the developers wants to cover a large group of players.
ratamahat

Postby ratamahat » Thu 06.23.2005 5:34 am

http://www.lik-sang.com ships the games you import free of charge B)
ratamahat

Postby Yuubokumin » Wed 06.29.2005 8:08 pm

I have a GCN controller I bought in Japan, because they don't make teal ones in the US that I've ever seen, and it works a bit better than my other controllers.... slighty on topic hehe
あなたはおいしいです。 私はあなたを食べたい。
Yuubokumin

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 06.30.2005 9:33 pm

Please, for my sanity if nothing else, do a little research. Videogames are not books {or at least not at the level of language comprehension you appear to be talking about} .

The PSP is completely inappropriate for language learning in its current incarnation, unless you use recently released emulators to play older games {and there is a good chance Sony will remove this ability the first chance they get with the next firmware update}. Most of the games on the PSP actually made for the PSP are action oriented, so you actually have to have some kind of gaining skill to proceed in the game. How frustrating can you imagine it being not being able to complete your translation work because you simply can't "beat this one part". Times that frustration level exponentially if the part you can't beat occurs earlier in the game rather than later.

Also at issue is the fact that the UMD music and movie discs of region locked, even though the games are not {games from any region will play in any PSP} . This means if you want to play Japanese non software PSP titles, you absolutely must own a Japanese PSP. The PSP has an unusually high defect rate in its early manufacturing runs, so it could be very difficult to return if you import one of those early runs by accident. Sony USA /UK will not fix Sony Japan's hardware, so forget about any kind of warranty for import machine.

This is not to say that PSP is a bad gaming machine, but rather merely bad for translation practice purposes in its current incarnation.

The Nintendo DS is a region free better choice {with some reservations I'll get to in a moment}, and even has a electronic dictionary cartridge available. Unfortunately, although the dictionary will let you draw on the touchscreen to enter characters, only kana characters are recognized for entry. I lost interest after I learned this, so I can't really comment on the quality of the actual dictionary entries.

The DS also has a more variety of gameplay styles available, so some of these games are good translation practice games. However, you actually have to know something about gaming to pick and choose which ones are appropriate for you personally. If you haven't been into games since pacman, you're going to be in for a shock to learn that even pacman brand-name games can have complex controls above and beyond what the average consumer is expecting. Reading the box hasn't been a good guideline to what's actually in the box in terms of gameplay for years in gaming. It might give you the genre, but rarely does it give you the control scheme /difficulty level. Fortunately, most DS games have relatively simplistic to control at this point, but simplistic in the a point of view that varies from person to person. It's important to know your own needs.

Also, the DS is backward compatible with all GameBoy advance games. Many of these games have pre-existing translations available that you can use to help guide you, however, many of these are incomplete translations that just give you jist the what's going on during the game. Others will only translate menus {although sometimes, in some game that's all that's needed}. Gaming communities like gamefaqs.com messageboards should be able to point you " import friendly games" {this is what games with little to know Japanese knowledge required to play are called colloquially}. You'll need to go to the individual game boards to figure out the actual language level required, but as long as the game has come out relatively recently, the should be someone to tell you {the last part also applies to PSP games in evaluating language levels sight unseen}.

The GameBoy advance games have a wider variety of language levels available, however, it's rarely possible to determine what level language the game is written with without actually playing it. Giving the expense of importing, buying without trying isn't advisable. I would suggest using an emulator /flash cart to try GBA games before you buy.

cheapassgamer.com 's messageboard should consulted before buying just about any game, as their members can often not only find otherwise expensive games cheaply, several people there speak Japanese {including the site owner CheapyD}. As such, they're usually on top of import sales for games/anime.

Right now, play-asia.com has a large sale on that I just blew over $100 on myself, so I can confirm there are some good cheap titles still available. But once again, you have to know what you're buying, so don't be afraid to go to the game boards and ask for help.

Hundreds of games later, I'm not really sure what it's like to be new to gaming anymore, so I'm not really sure I covered everything you need, but I think I got most of it :-)

PS,

Another code is very short. I didn't bother importing this one personally, but everyone is saying between four and six hours of gameplay. In other words, get this one on sale if you're on a budget, because you pay more dollars per hour to play this than another equally good game.
MenomaMinx

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips