Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learn Japanese with Anki

Learn Japanese with Anki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: New release of Anki (fc)

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Tue 05.15.2007 7:32 am

Hmm.. Will give it a try soon.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby resolve » Wed 05.16.2007 4:34 pm

Hi Ezrach,

As it didn't look like the person building mac releases would have a chance to build a new release any time soon, I got hold of a Mac and built an updated version.

Quite a lot had changed since the last Mac version was built!

Old:

New:

I have put the new DMG file on the Anki website, but I'm not sure if it'll work on PPC architecture machines. I'd be greatful if you could test it on your machine (i386 or PPC) and let me know how you go.

For the rest of you - 0.2.6 is available, and has a number of bugfixes.

See you :-)
resolve

Postby resolve » Wed 05.16.2007 4:47 pm

Oh, I neglected to answer your original question.

The short answer is that double-sided cards are highly recommended. They each serve a different purpose: J->E cards drill your ability to read the Kanji, and E->J cards drill your ability to recall the word (and practice writing the Kanj if you wish). This is called active recall and is a much better way of learning than just practicing recognition.

This is partly addressed in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testing_effect
resolve

Postby Ezrach » Wed 05.16.2007 7:52 pm

Running on a G4 PPC, OS X 10.4.9 I got the following error when trying to open up the program:

Ezrach

Postby resolve » Wed 05.16.2007 9:21 pm

Thanks. I'll look into it soon.
resolve

Postby resolve » Thu 05.17.2007 6:51 pm

Okay, please try the latest DMG. It should work on PPC architecture computers now, too.

Also there were some reports that the open file dialog didn't correctly open in the sample decks by default. The first time you load the program, before clicking "new", please try "open" and let me know if it opens up in the sample decks. If it doesn't, you should be able to access them in "~/Documents/Anki Sample Decks"

Feedback appreciated,

Damien
resolve

RE: New Anki (0.2.6 + new Mac build)

Postby Ezrach » Thu 05.17.2007 11:27 pm

It works on my machine! Thank you much!

I started with "open deck" like you said, and that worked out.
Ezrach

Postby resolve » Thu 05.17.2007 11:31 pm

I've just uploaded 0.2.6.1, which uses the native Aqua theme, so it will now look like a native application and not something "foreign".

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby Yufina » Fri 05.18.2007 5:08 am

Is there any possibility that i can import txt file which is tab seperated? Because I use Stackz and have over 2000 entry.

Stackz is partially better, but i really wanna use both programs
Last edited by Yufina on Fri 05.18.2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yufina

Postby resolve » Fri 05.18.2007 5:29 am

Hi Yufina,

Yes, you can import existing files. Just create a new deck, then choose Edit -> Import -> Import text file.

How is Stackz partially better? I've had a brief look at in past, but it didn't look too impressive. This is what I wrote about it:

resolve wrote:
I had a quick look at the stacks website. They seem to use a varient of the leitner system which classifies cards into 5 "levels". The vast majority of flashcard programs out there use a leitner based system as it's simple to implement.

Stacks uses coloured graphs to indicate the age of cards, and like most flashcard programs out there, puts the responsibility of when to review on you - you can choose to drill a set of cards over and over, and when to review the cards. I think is a really bad idea. For one, people have a tendency to overly review cards they have difficulty with. It doesn't matter how many times you practice a card in a small amount of time - the important part is spaced repetition. You're much better off getting a card correct once and trying again the next day than practicing one more time.

Stacks also, from what I can tell, relies on diagrams to indicate when you need to review. This makes it easy to skip the review stages and you end up having to micromanage your cards which are up for review.

The flashcard program I originally mentioned uses the supermemo algorithm, which I believe is considerably better. It takes the opposite approach of something like stacks - instead of leaving everything up to you, it takes responsibility for when and which cards you should see. If a card is up for review it will be shown in preference to teaching you a new word. If you've successfully answered a question it won't show it to you again for at least a day, and much more depending on how consistently you can answer correctly. All you have to do is open the program once a day and answer the questions it asks, and you're set.

Also note that in stacks you can only answer "correct" or "incorrect". In the supermemo algorithm, you tell the computer how well you remembered. Instead of pressing enter/esc etc to indicate correctness, you press a key from 1-5 to indicate the level of recall. It's much easier for you to judge if you remembered something easily, after a lot of effort, or not at all, than it is for a computer to judge. And your answers ensure that the words you have more difficulty with are treated appropriately.

Oh .. and the flashcard program I originally mentioned is free :-)

Damien
resolve

Postby Yufina » Fri 05.18.2007 6:31 am

When I try import my tab seperated txt file. I got error:
"Line 1 doesn't match pattern ' '

Import failed."

You are right :) Perhaps I need to use more Anki. But firstly i need to get imported my txt file, because it's too boring to write all again >_<

Only problem when i try to learn japanese is learnig new words. I hope that Anki will help me.

And sorry my bad english. I'm from finland =)

EDIT: When I remember word easily, but i still uncertain that i cannot remember it next time. Should i still press 4 or? Because it next time apper after 11 day.
Last edited by Yufina on Fri 05.18.2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yufina

Postby resolve » Fri 05.18.2007 7:29 am

Hi Yufina,

Could you email me the file you're trying to import? I'll look into the problem. (my email is listed at the bottom of the Anki page)

If you don't think you'll be able to remember it in 11 days, feel free to choose a smaller time. For cards you've practiced a number of times, the choices work well, but for cards you've just entered, the choices are a bit confusing. I'll get that changed. Thanks for mentioning it!
resolve

Postby resolve » Fri 05.18.2007 9:22 am

Okay, I just sent you an email back. You weren't able to import the deck because the file was not consistent - sometimes you had "question{tab}samequestion{tab}answer", sometimes there was an extra notes field, and some of the answers had wrapped around to the next line. Whatever exported that file didn't do a good job!

Anyway, I programmatically killed the duplicate questions and merged the notes into the answer field, and then manually fixed up the remaining broken lines. I've emailed you back a working file.

Cheers,

Damien
resolve

Postby Othela » Fri 05.18.2007 1:34 pm

Wow! I saw this thread whileI was out and thought it'd be good to download... I really like the program! I've not had any problems with it (so far) and have been having a go at some of the pre-loaded decks. Thanks!
Disclaimer: There are rare moments in which I speak like an expert. In those moments, you MUST NOT TRUST ME. No matter HOW convincing I may seem...
Othela

Postby Yufina » Fri 05.18.2007 4:25 pm

How the day system works, because now there is "Next in 3-6 days" and "Next in 7-10 days"?

EDIT: It is random between 3-6 and 7-10?
Last edited by Yufina on Fri 05.18.2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yufina

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips