Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learn Japanese with Anki

Learn Japanese with Anki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Learn Japanese with Anki

Postby resolve » Sat 11.03.2007 4:03 am

Thanks for the feedback! Can I ask what it would take to make it 5 stars? What do you think is missing?
resolve

Postby Noob » Sat 11.03.2007 6:29 am

Nice work Resolve. I love this program. I'll have my hirogana / Katakana memorized in no time. So, as a beginner, i think this is a great tool.
Noob

Postby Nuada » Sat 11.03.2007 1:14 pm

resolve wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Can I ask what it would take to make it 5 stars? What do you think is missing?

Sharing decks would be of much help. Such as a deck of common verbs separated to beginner intermediate and advanced levels or something.

Is there a way to separate a deck into smaller portions?
This way if you get a huge deck from a friend and you're just beginning you don't become overwhelmed. (I think I read earlier of someone who has a 3k card deck)

I guess my point is having readily available decks would save time, typing everything by yourself would take quite a lot of time in creating so many cards, and one of the points of using the spaced repetition idea is saving time, yes?

To make it easier for deck separation, when creating/modifying a card, I suppose you could allow the user to specify what type of word it is (i.e. verb, noun, or grammar rule) Then when the deck is shared, users can study only the nouns, or adjectives, or break the deck apart as they please. Another nice thing to have would be to only present 10 new words at a time or something, so a deck of 1000 nouns doesn't kill you. Could even take it a step further and say "Only present 50 new words at the beginning of each week" This way the user can pick away at a deck instead of taking on 1000 cards at once. Also, if that's added, allowing users to manually implement cards from a deck into what they're learning would be great.

Another thought was audio pronunciation, but I'd say it's fine to just assume someone learning the vocabulary of a language knows how to pronounce it.

Can't really think of anything else after a day or two of use, but I think this is going to be my primary tool for learning new vocabulary.
Last edited by Nuada on Sat 11.03.2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuada

Postby Hatori » Sat 11.03.2007 2:09 pm

Hiya. I have dial-up internet and I'm only 8% loaded and it says it'll take another forty minutes to download. Is there anyway you can make the program smaller or more compatible for dial-up?
Thank you for reading.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby resolve » Sat 11.03.2007 11:16 pm

Hatori: it is as small as it can get.

Nuada:
- yes, you can separate decks into "portions" and categorize cards. that is what the tag system is for. you can also suspend specific tags, export only certain tags, etc.
- new cards are only shown once you have reviewed any existing cards. it's up to you to choose how much to study at once.
- audio is already supported
resolve

Postby nabilahforever » Sun 11.04.2007 2:55 am

hi.i'm a new member.nice to meet you. :D
nabilahforever

Postby Nuada » Sun 11.04.2007 4:14 pm

resolve wrote:
Nuada:
- yes, you can separate decks into "portions" and categorize cards. that is what the tag system is for. you can also suspend specific tags, export only certain tags, etc.
- new cards are only shown once you have reviewed any existing cards. it's up to you to choose how much to study at once.
- audio is already supported

Forgive me, I fail.

More deck sharing would help get this program spread. I made a post on a very popular game site and people like it but don't want to take the time to make a deck themselves.

5/5 :)
Last edited by Nuada on Sun 11.04.2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuada

Postby sogeki » Thu 11.08.2007 1:12 am

I've been using Anki for a little over a month now, and so far, it has been working wonderfully for me.

For some reason, though, the retention bar in the program isn't updating for me. "Correct and over a week" is always 0/0. Is this normal? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
sogeki

Postby resolve » Thu 11.08.2007 9:37 am

It'll only come into play after you've correctly answered a card scheduled over a week. Once a card scheduled at 10+ days comes back and you answer it correctly, that bar will start to move.

Glad it's useful. :-)
resolve

Postby yojimbo1 » Thu 11.08.2007 7:17 pm

resolve, or anyone that knows,

My cards always occur in two varieties, either with English and then reading/kanji or kanji and then reading/English. Since I have a separate deck for kanji specific vocabulary I would like the second variety of cards to show kanji/reading and then English. Is there anyway to accomplish this?
yojimbo1

Postby resolve » Thu 11.08.2007 8:59 pm

Look in the 'model properties' in the edit menu. Specifically, the card models.
resolve

Postby yojimbo1 » Thu 11.08.2007 9:28 pm

Thanks a lot, very nice software.
yojimbo1

Postby atreya » Thu 11.15.2007 11:30 pm

yojimbo1 wrote:
resolve, or anyone that knows,

My cards always occur in two varieties, either with English and then reading/kanji or kanji and then reading/English. Since I have a separate deck for kanji specific vocabulary I would like the second variety of cards to show kanji/reading and then English. Is there anyway to accomplish this?

Kanji, Reading and then the Meaning right? That sort of beats the purpose of the studying the kanji words doesn't it? Anyway you can accomplish what you want in another file since you have to change the way anki displays the question and answer in Edit - Model properties - Cards tab. Here is a screenshot

Just change the Question and Answer Formats... :)
atreya

Postby Orcrist » Fri 11.30.2007 5:54 pm

I had a computer crash while I was running Anki, and now I lost my deck I was running at that moment. I really love myself, because I didn't bother backing up my decks. I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to get my lost deck back, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Would there be any way?

Ah well, getting back to rebuilding my deck and backing up my other decks. :(
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby everdream » Fri 11.30.2007 6:06 pm

^ have you ever done a back up of the hard drive of your computer? (They say you should do this regualy, but mhea, not many do)
If so...you might be able to get it back.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips