Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Learn Japanese with Anki

Learn Japanese with Anki

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: Learn Japanese with Anki

Postby everdream » Sun 12.30.2007 5:14 am

Thanks, I'll try that.
I think my computer got a virus though, a few other programs are missing.

EDIT:
I searched, and I think I found the files, but, when I try to open them, it only brings up The Anki welcome page (I reinstalled it)
Last edited by everdream on Sun 12.30.2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby resolve » Sun 12.30.2007 1:56 pm

If you got the files from the backup directory, you need to rename them to something.anki first. If you're still having troubles, it's possible the virus got at the files too.
resolve

Postby everdream » Sun 12.30.2007 2:08 pm

It works!
Thank you so much, I was not liking the idea of hours of inserting cards going to pot.
We grow too soon old and too late smart. - Steve Wright

'Know thyself?' If I knew myself, I'd run away. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.
- Joe E. Lewis
everdream

Postby resolve » Sun 12.30.2007 3:25 pm

Make sure you keep backups on another computer in the future :-)
resolve

Postby resolve » Wed 01.02.2008 11:55 am

Anki has a new website. Syncing will be broken until I release 0.3.9 (which will be soon).
[url]
http://ichi2.net/anki/[/url]
Last edited by resolve on Wed 01.02.2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
resolve

Postby resolve » Wed 01.02.2008 2:22 pm

0.3.9 is out.

* Updated Anki URI - fixes synchronization
* Optimizations to scheduler. Delay between cards half of what it was in 0.3.8
* Czech translations (thanks to the contributor!)
* Fix for autosync on non-modified deck
* Fixed erroneous reporting of 10 minutes on failed mature card
* Preserve the selection in the editor when focus is lost
* Disable live update in the card editor - considerably faster on slow machines.
* A fix to avoid config file corruption
* Behave correctly if an invalid deck is passed to Anki
* Don't include suspended cards in number of spaced cards

http://ichi2.net/anki/
resolve

Postby Rinifett » Thu 01.03.2008 2:53 am

So, I got prompted today to update anki and I did but unfortunately my virus software said it contained a trojan =( so I ended up ending the update. I just wanted to let you know.
Rinifett

Postby resolve » Thu 01.03.2008 8:15 am

It's a false report.
resolve

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 01.06.2008 2:30 pm

I've tried this program out over the last week and it looks like a good program save the expense of building a deck.

A nice feature would be to enter a word in the Expression field, then hit a keyboard shortcut that fills in: edict definition, some edict example sentences. Displaying this information on the answer card would be more convenient than the current alternative of pulling up a new Firefox window via the look up feature for each card I iterate through.

Alternatively, if someone has manually built decks with example sentences, may I bum them off of you?
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Sun 01.06.2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby resolve » Sun 01.06.2008 3:26 pm

I'm not a fan of automated input. Once you move beyond very simple vocabulary like "cat" and "red", you really need to see the word used in context before trying to memorize it. Edict's example sentences are of very varying quality and they're no substitute for a real textbook.
resolve

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sun 01.06.2008 10:05 pm

I've seen some amusing example sentences in the edict, but to advocate against using them seems like a radical viewpoint.

you really need to see the word used in context before trying to memorize it.

My feedback has to do with, upon encountering a word in context, incurring overhead that is curable through automated input.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Koryo » Sun 01.06.2008 11:25 pm

Part of the point of creating your own deck is learning. On the deck that I'm presently working on, 84% of the cards that I've seen were answered correctly when they were first shown simply because as I was typing them in and looking up the definitions to words I didn't know, I was learning them.

Also, context is a very personal matter. Many of the sentences in my decks simply won't be useful to other people because they didn't experience the phrase in context themselves. When someone else sees 「うっ、またどす黒い感情が・・・」 in my deck, he won't see Shibasaki Kou fuming at what Fukuyama Masaharu said as he was walking away from her. I will. And even if he's watched episode 4 of Galileo, that moment probably didn't interest him.

Regardless, if you think it will be of use to you, feel free to use one of my decks. Chances are you'll lose interest and not use it simply because you never had an interest in the source material* in the first place. Or you'll have some complaint about how that's not the way you learn or it doesn't have the type of words or phrases you want in your deck. This, of course, is why you should make your own anyway.

[edit]
Also the issue of difficultly levels, albeit somewhat of an arbitrary term, comes into play. If you're just starting out, the sentences in my deck will make no sense to you even with the definitions, and if you have intermediate proficiency in Japanese, you'll probably be able to read all of them and won't learn anything.

All that being said, here is the deck I'm presently working on. I do hope you'll find it useful in spite of my disclaimer.
句.anki current deck

*I think I've referenced almost all of the source material in the deck, but some of the references are particular to my bookshelf or DVD library. I.e., if you decide that you really want to read more of the story that came from 『国語の森 小学1年 言葉をふやか』 just let me know and I can dig up the ISBN number.
Last edited by Koryo on Mon 01.07.2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koryo

Re: Learn Japanese with Anki

Postby Nick The Imp » Mon 03.17.2008 9:58 pm

Hey, I tried to install Anki in Ubuntu, and I get "Error: Dependence is not satisfiable: python-sqlalchemy." I searched in the package manager and installed python-sqlalchemy and restarted, but I still get the error. How do I fix that?
Nick The Imp

Postby Joker123 » Wed 03.19.2008 1:09 pm

A few months ago, my computer got infected by a virus, and I had to put all the essentials in a backup folder to bring along to the new computer, including Anki (although it wasn't 'essential' per se....) Since then, I got a bit lazy and Japanese started to go on the back burner of my mind until recently. That being said, I completely forgot Anki was on my computer. Fearing the fifty or so cards that had been left for me in those months, I uninstalled and reinstalled, hoping that I could simply start over with new cards. Sadly, that apparently isn't the case.

In short: Is there a way to completely wipe Anki clean of all the cards and start over? Not something In exactly want to do, but I don't want to crawl through fifty cards that I've forgotten over the past few months, either. :oops:
First Japanese word learned: いも
Most recent learned: くんかた
Joker123

Postby Koryo » Mon 03.31.2008 4:07 am

Hey Joker123,

Personally, I recommend against resetting your progress. I'm sure you'll remember some of the cards you've already learnt and the system will automatically adjust for the ones you haven't. That's what it's designed to do.

I ended up tied up in some other things in life and didn't have a chance to use Anki for a while last year, but when I came back, I had over 900 cards waiting for me. At first it was rather intimidating, but It only took about a week to catch up, and I somehow managed to remembered most of them.

Having said that, if you really want to start building a new deck, just go to Deck(?)→New or 単語帳→新規作成.

Or, if you want to use your current deck, but erase all history of your progress, open the edit deck dialog, delete the search filter "<current>", select all the cards, then go Facts→Reset Progress.
- Koryo [How to learn Japanese my way . . . or yours :D]
Koryo

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips