Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - TJP Video Site (beta)

TJP Video Site (beta)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

TJP Video Site (beta)

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 04.29.2007 10:49 pm

just because i know some people (like myself) rarely notice the News (aka Home) page... Clay has setup a Video sharing site for us.

take a look: http://www.thejapanesepage.com/news.php?readmore=78.

so break out your webcams and send us some videos! :)
zengargoyle

RE: TJP Video Site (beta)

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 05.18.2007 11:42 pm

there is now a way to embed video.thejapanesepage.com videos into the forums.

1. upload your video to [url]video.thejapanesepage.com[/url], ignore the Share Details section of the upload page, it's slightly broken. :)

2. wait a few minutes for your video to be processed.

3. go back to the Watch page and view your video. once your video has been converted to the Flash format, you should be able to view it in your browser from the Watch page.

4. look towards the bottom of the page, you will see something like this:

5. see that TJP BBcode section? copy and paste that into your TJP post. it will look something like this: [ video=d5072bb1864cdee4d3d6=33.flv ]Azumanga Apple[ /video ] (but without the spaces...)

6. if you do everything correctly, it will end up looking like this:
[video=d5072bb1864cdee4d3d6=33.flv]Azumanga Apple[/video]

7. profit. :)

so break out those webcams and upload some videos!!!
zengargoyle

Postby clay » Sun 05.20.2007 8:45 am

Who has the guts to make the first Japanese vlog? What if everyone did a 自己紹介 (self introduction) in Japanese? Nothing fancy, but it may be a good way for everyone to get to know everyone better AND to practice Japanese. Hmmm... seems like that's why most of us are here!

A Big thanks to SirFirestorm for being the first to embed a few videos! Thanks! I think once we get a few people posting videos we will have a great repository of Japanese related videos, embeds and vlogs here. (Embeded video from Youtube and elsewhere has to be approved by an admin so you may not see it instantly - sorry!)

Lastly, one day the Video site will be an actual part of TJP, but until then let's see who can post the most videos!

位置について、用意、ドン! on your mark, get set, go!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 05.20.2007 10:17 am

On my computer the video that Zen-san uploaded just shows up as a black screen with a question mark in the middle and a blue q-looking shape behind it. I can't play it at all.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 05.20.2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby lalaith » Sun 05.20.2007 10:26 am

flammable hippo wrote:
On my computer the video that Zen-san uploaded just shows up as a black screen with a question mark in the middle and a blue q-looking shape behind it. I can't play it at all.

That happened to me the first time, as well. But now it works. I can't explain it; I don't even try to understand it.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby SirFirestorm » Sun 05.20.2007 10:53 am

I have been looking for a few useful learning ones on youtube, but so far only couple of funny ones here and there. If it'll get more traffic though, I'm all for it.

Go check out the vids everyone! http://video.thejapanesepage.com
SirFirestorm

Postby clay » Sun 05.20.2007 11:10 am

flammable hippo wrote:

Try updating your Flash. It may require the newest version.

EDIT: BTW we are up to 17 videos!
Last edited by clay on Sun 05.20.2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Valatunda » Mon 05.21.2007 6:26 am

I have a couple of things to report about the profile page.

1. The age: Despite being born 6th June 1986, I am apparently twenty one years of age.
Is everything set a month or year ahead?

2. The Rate me option: I clicked it out of curiosity and gave myself five stars, which turned out to be three blue stars. I do not think one should be able to rate oneself. Also how does the rating work?

I really like the site by the way, though I am not sure what I could contribute. I will give that some thought. It would be nice to add something.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby aKuMu » Mon 05.21.2007 8:13 am

clay wrote:

Who has the guts to make the first Japanese vlog? What if everyone did a 自己紹介 (self introduction) in Japanese? Nothing fancy, but it may be a good way for everyone to get to know everyone better AND to practice Japanese. Hmmm... seems like that's why most of us are here!

He, that would be cool, and maybe then the Video could be embedded/linked in each users profile

maybe i try later if I'm not too embarrassed :p (and if many people participate ;) )
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby clay » Mon 05.21.2007 8:55 am

1. The age: Despite being born 6th June 1986, I am apparently twenty one years of age.

The time and date stamps seem to be strange. For example the admin screen shows your last login at Jul 5, 117975. I just checked the server and its time and dates are correct.

2. The Rate me option: I clicked it out of curiosity and gave myself five stars, which turned out to be three blue stars. I do not think one should be able to rate oneself. Also how does the rating work?

It happened to me too, but I am not sure where the rating actually shows up. Zen has suggested it is possible for all user information to be in a central database. That way there will only be one log in for both TJP and the video site and some of these date and rating problems should go away.

maybe i try later if I'm not too embarrassed (and if many people participate )

Be the first and earn your place in history! It is perfectly fine to make mistakes! 恥ずかしがらないで don't be shy B)
clay
Site Admin

Postby Valatunda » Mon 05.21.2007 10:05 am

Clay, may I ask why your site tag in your posts link to thejapanesepage.com?

We are on thejapanesepage.com. Wouldn’t thejapanshop.com be more fitting?
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby clay » Mon 05.21.2007 12:12 pm

Do you mean in my profile? I'll change it :)
clay
Site Admin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 05.21.2007 8:46 pm

Valatunda wrote:

on first look, the video site code just does a 'this year' - 'birth year' calculation. :( maybe it should say 'approximate age' :)

sadly, looking up the 'rate' code will take more effort. :)

update:

i haven't looked deeply into the rating system, but it seems to be semi-OK. but it seems to have an initial boundry condition to make code easy....

new_rate = ( ( old_rate * number_of_voters ) + new_rating ) / (number_of_voters + 1 )

with the initial condition of ( rate == 0, number_of_voters == 1 ). so you start with one voter giving your '0' votes. then you give yourself a '5' and that is '((0*1)+5)/(1+1)' == '5/2' == '2.5' (probably rounded up to '3' stars.

this just seems to be an easy way to not have to worry about the '0' voters case.... division by zero is an error. so they just start with '1' vote of '0' to avoid the '0' voters case. in the end, not a terrible choice... by the second or third vote things will be within epsilon of the true rating value.
Last edited by zengargoyle on Mon 05.21.2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zengargoyle

Postby Hark » Tue 05.22.2007 4:01 am

Is it intensional, that embeded videos starts to play automaticaly upon opening of the parent thread? I can't imagine how it would look (sound) if there were multiple videos in one thread :D
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.22.2007 10:48 am

probably not. i use a Flash blocker so i never noticed that it starts playing automagically... i'll see if i can find the "don't start playing" switch.
zengargoyle

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips