Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - TJP Video Site (beta)

TJP Video Site (beta)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

RE: TJP Video Site (beta)

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 08.09.2007 12:19 am

FWIW...

the original video that didn't work:
Selected video codec: [wmvadmo] vfm: dmo (Windows Media Video Adv DMO)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))

Clay-san version that did work:
Selected video codec: [wmv9dmo] vfm: dmo (Windows Media Video 9 DMO)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))

so it looks like the video site software doesn't like the "Windows Media Video Adv DMO" format...

Coco-san, check your program and see if there is an option for "Windows Media Video 9 DMO" output. it may just say "WMV 9" or something similar.
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Thu 08.09.2007 12:03 pm

Zen-san ご説明、ありがとうございます。

A system requirements for "Photo story 3" says it needs MS Windows madia player 10  ( or latest version 11, I guess) to make a video.

As far as I understand, I don't think I can upload my audio file by using Photo story 3, unfortunately. I searched if there is Photo story 2, but I couldn't find it.
Anyway, I'm glad to know why I failed to upload. :)
Thank you for your help.

Clay-san お手数をおかけしました。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby zengargoyle » Thu 08.09.2007 7:57 pm

don't give up just yet! :) as far as i can tell, "Photo Story 3" is a free application from Microsoft. Microsoft also has a "Movie Maker" download that is free. both of these applications are for XP users, and my Windows stuff is all old 'Windows 2000' stuff... i am sure there is an easy way for you to use "Photo Story 3" and convert the .wmv file (maybe with the "Movie Maker" application) into something that is compatible with the TJP video site....

but i have no way to test these things (since what little Windows i use is Win2k and not WinXP). but surely, some of our TJP users are WinXP users and can play with "Photo Story 3" and "Movie Maker" and maybe somebody can figure out how to turn a PS3 video into something that will work with the video site...

from reading a few web-pages and a few FAQs, it looks easy to make the PS3 .wmv video into other formats with free software from Microsoft... but i don't have a WinXP machine to test with. :(

so... all you geeky types!!!! figure out how to convert PS3 videos to a format that the video site can understand... i'm *sure* it's possible with the free tools that Microsoft makes available, but i don't have the right version of Windows to figure it out....
zengargoyle

Postby coco » Thu 08.09.2007 10:15 pm

Zen-san thank you for your time and all your efforts.

I tried by Windows Movie MakerVersion5.1, which is bundled with my PC, and failed too. The error message said " .mswmm is not allowed."

I downloaded "Windouws Media encoder 9" and tried. It became 69MB. (I'm not sure if i was able to encode it into wmv9dmo or not yet because it has gone away somewhere before I keep it. :p ) The another way I used to encode to .avi was 24MB, and it showed another uploading failure ,as usual.

I guess even if I could encode wmvadmo to .avi or wmv9dmo, it takes too long to upload. Am I right?

Uploading 3.9GB file must take longer than rest of my life. :D
Last edited by coco on Thu 08.09.2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby ss » Fri 08.10.2007 2:42 am

Uploading 3.9GB file must take longer than rest of my life. :D

There's a trend toward more 3G (third generation) technologies. Pass it on to your little Coco then, but I'm not sure little Clay or Zen would help ここちゃん though ... :D

加油!
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby zengargoyle » Fri 08.10.2007 12:42 pm

well, i found the problem on the video site side of things...

the mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg conversion tools installed on the site do not support using the win32codecs. because... the video server is a x86_64 (64-bit) system and the programs were built for the 64-bit system, and the win32codecs can't be used from a 64-bit program... we may be able to install the 32-bit versions of the conversion tools and use the win32codecs... but i'm afraid of breaking things :)

WMV9 is the most recent windows codec that has native reverse-engineered support in the conversion tools.

grrrr... Microsoft....
zengargoyle

Re: TJP Video Site (beta)

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 05.22.2008 3:32 pm

Sooo who here uses linux??? 8)
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Re: TJP Video Site (beta)

Postby richvh » Thu 05.22.2008 4:05 pm

Why did you revive a 9 month old thread to ask about something completely unrelated to it? Start a new thread next time.

Thread locked for necromancy on a topic that is unlikely to get fresh information.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips