Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - When should I start reading manga?

When should I start reading manga?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

When should I start reading manga?

Postby rattan_child » Tue 10.09.2007 11:05 pm

Hello, all.

Question: at what level should I start reading children's manga? I figure I'll start when I reach Chapter 7 of my Genki textbook.

What do you think? Too early? Too late?

Thank,
rattan_child
[center]I\'m a puppy. If you want directions, get a pointer.[/center]
rattan_child

RE: When should I start reading manga?

Postby Ichigo19 » Wed 10.10.2007 1:24 am

Well for one in my opinion thats way way wa-------y too early. Chapter 7 in Genki, as I have used Genki I and II, but chapter 7 is where you just learn the 〜ている form. I believe it's chapter 8 you learn the more informal conjugation of the verbs and that's what I've mostly seen, and heard other people say are in manga. I haven't seriously gotten into reading manga yet, or anything other than textbook stuff but I wouldn't get into reading manga until at the bare minimum of finishing genki I but I don't know how far you could get with just Genki I, I would recommend finishing Genki II before going on to tackle manga.

Though I could be wrong and there are certainly more people more qualified and more informed. They would be better able to answer this than I can, but from my experience I wouldn't try it until finishing Genki II. I didn't even really try manga until finishing Genki II and working myself all the way through the "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar". You will most definitely need everything from Genki I and II to be able to work your way through a manga, and probably a bit more. There are still grammatical constructions I come across and I don't know them and I love grammar...

But to quickly sum it all up. Starting at Ch. 7 is way too soon you probably would come across so much grammar you wouldn't understand very much. Especially with not knowing informal/casual conjugations which you won't get to until Ch. 8. Though your certianly welcome to try and read manga if you want...but the reading and kanji excercises in the back of the book are probably the best thing for you right now. And as for children's manga...I don't know exactly what you mean for "children's" but I am refering to manga in general that I have and have read from other people's opinions about other ones that are able to be read by beginners.
私がいちごです。女じゃありません。いちごの名前がアニメの名前じゃありません。
Ichigo19

Postby hungryhotei » Wed 10.10.2007 2:54 am

rattan_child wrote:
Question: at what level should I start reading children's manga?

My vote is for around or maybe after JLPT level 3 level. After you've completed your beginners course.
Last edited by hungryhotei on Wed 10.10.2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby b4d0m3n » Wed 10.10.2007 3:10 am

I would suggest as soon as possible. But, keep in mind, the sooner you start the harder it will be. But the earlier you immerse yourself in the culture and style, the better overall for your learning.
b4d0m3n

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 10.10.2007 7:56 am

This is kind of a hard question to answer because I'm not sure what you're asking. Explain what you mean by "reading manga" and maybe I can give you a better answer. My guess is that after chapter 7 of Genki I you will not be able to read manga even with a dictionary.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Gundaetiapo » Wed 10.10.2007 9:03 am

Don't know how Genki aligns with Nakama, but I had three semesters of college which covered Nakama 1 and a sizable portion of Nakama 2. I started reading Ranma 1/2 more or less with that level of knowledge and the going is good. I wrote [wiki]Reading manga[/wiki] for folks like you.
Gundaetiapo

Postby rattan_child » Wed 10.10.2007 1:35 pm

Hmm, thanks. That's given me something to think about.

To tell you the truth, I anticipated it being rather difficult. I figured I would use my textbook to give my lessons structure and so that I was learning proper Japanese and maybe keep a logbook of all the new vocab and grammar I learned from reading manga.

rattan_child
rattan_child

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 10.10.2007 2:49 pm

Well, the question has different answers depending on how it is interpreted.

The straight answer is that you should start reading manga whenever you feel like it. There's nothing like seeing your language studies pay off by being able to recognize things in authentic sources, especially sources that you are personally interested in.

If your question is about actually incorporating manga into your studying, I think that your time spent studying manga will not be productive until you have gotten fairly far in your studies -- I would say that even finishing Genki I and II might not prepare you completely. Reading native Japanese material, even with a dictionary, is very hard if you don't have a good command of the grammar.

Personally I would suggest that you focus on the textbook, but use the manga every so often when you find yourself getting bored with the textbook. There's nothing wrong with trying to plow through something that's above your level, although focusing on that exclusively will probably be counterproductive in the end.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Gundaetiapo » Wed 10.10.2007 7:03 pm

I would say that even finishing Genki I and II might not prepare you completely.

What is your recommendation for what to do after Genki II?

To tell you the truth, I anticipated it being rather difficult. I figured I would use my textbook to give my lessons structure and so that I was learning proper Japanese and maybe keep a logbook of all the new vocab and grammar I learned from reading manga.

If you want. Creating vocab lists is too much overhead for me. The common words reappear and the uncommon ones don't.
Last edited by Gundaetiapo on Wed 10.10.2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gundaetiapo

Postby Hatori » Wed 10.10.2007 7:31 pm

I look in my Japanese mangas when I'm bored to look up words, kanji, and or observe a sentence structure.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby rattan_child » Tue 12.04.2007 1:56 pm

I hope this tread isn't too too old to respond to, but...

Just an update. After a while, I started reading manga anyway. First off, you are all right, because it can take me over an hour to get through one page, and even then, I only get the most basic gist of what is going on.

I find my vocab lists don't really help that much with learning vocabulary, but they DO keep me from being lazy by forcing me to look up every word I don't know (which is a lot).

All in all, though, I'm glad I started reading manga. I've picked up a handful of new words, and it is starting to get a little easier as I continue.

Thanks for your help,
rattan_child
rattan_child

Postby Wakannai » Wed 12.05.2007 1:10 am

It can help a lot if you have the english version and the Japanese version, and I mean a professionally translated version not a fanslation.

Then try to translate, and when you get stuck, see what the professional wrote.
Wakannai

Postby latenight2736 » Mon 12.10.2007 1:21 am

I am at Lesson 7 in Genki I and I actually am taking a course at a university with a wonderful japanese language program and I cannot read manga if my life depended on it. I lack the vocabulary, Kanji, and grammer knowledge by a long shot.
no hesitation, go for it!
latenight2736

Postby Alghazanth » Mon 12.10.2007 2:51 am

Well ; I don't think there's a time that is 'too early' to start reading. I personally started reading mangas after 2,5 - 3 months beginning studying japanese. But since I have always been watching anime I had a bit more knowledge of vocab and grammar than my average study time I guess.

My advice would be ; just get the mangas you like and start reading them. Most of them would have furigana which would be invaluable at earlier levels ; and use a dictionary when a word/kanji you don't know appears.go on your own pace ; don't be disheartened when some sentences you don't understand come along ; in that case you can always check it from the english scans of the manga you downloaded
Last edited by Alghazanth on Mon 12.10.2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alghazanth

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips